Random Thoughts

43 replies to this topic

#41 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Post3Xtr3m3, on 05 November 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

[color=#00ffff]Also Mechs don't exist and are a foolish idea for military vehicles.[/color]

Garth, buddy, words fail me.
Other than the rather unbeleivable heighth of them, what is so foolish about taking a Tank in 1972, and thinking 1000 years into the future in all its aspects of armor, weapons, powerplant, and means of traversing terrain?
In the 40 years since the government initiated that report, advances in all areas mentioned has consistently been reported.
Of the weapons theorized, only the PPC has not been at least test fired.
Fusion energy continues to elude us as the miracle they thought it was then.
Robotics continues to make progress towards walking vehicles that could replace legs.
Though I should point out that the report also looked into ground effect vehicles which are now common in many militaries.
Is armor up to that reports standards?
No, but todays armor is more than just larger and thicker plates of iron and steel that predominated in 1972.

Another way to look at it.
Could anyone have predicted the variety of aircraft that exist merely 100 years after Kitty Hawk?
Aircraft that go over Mach 2, that take off and land vertically, that go to the edge of space?
All Battletech is, is wanting to advance tanks to the same degree that aircraft have advanced.

Foolish Military Vehicles? Only to those who do not beleive in the future.
Will we ever see these specific compositions on the battlefield, who knows, probably not. But as the abilities and technologies advance, don't be surprised to see something as ground breaking in the next 60 years

TL:DR Yeah a lot of BT/Mechwarrior is fluff and fun, but it was built on a much sterner core than "Foolish".
Just my thoughts.

Aerotech, satellite warfare, and drones still seems a lot more viable then battlmechs though. Sit far away from combat, push button, kill everything. Its like being able to send down LRMS from space and ECM doesn't do squat.

#42 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 02 October 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

<Don't forget to insert thought>

I can't. I just don't care enough.

Edited by Zephonarch II, 15 July 2015 - 05:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users