30 replies to this topic

#1 skumm

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

I HATE cooking one card while the other sits idle. IS there any news on SLI integration yet with the release of DX11?

#2 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

View Postskumm, on 07 November 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I HATE cooking one card while the other sits idle. IS there any news on SLI integration yet with the release of DX11?

Last I remember, they said that they would look into it after CW was in...

...or that could have just been their position, at that time... :)

#3 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

View Postskumm, on 07 November 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

no. it will be after dx 11 and ui2.0, and probably not till after community warfare.

#4 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

I can run Crossfire if I run the game in borderless windowed mode. It keeps it from giving me the flickering screen of doom, and does result in a minor FPS boost. Not sure it's 100% distributed, but it runs.

#5 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 07 November 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

I can run Crossfire if I run the game in borderless windowed mode. It keeps it from giving me the flickering screen of doom, and does result in a minor FPS boost. Not sure it's 100% distributed, but it runs.

Use the latest Beta driver to help with screen flicker, if you follow these steps you will enable crossfire for MWO.

- Open Catalyst Control Center
- Open Gaming tab
- Open 3d Applications tab
- Click +Add on this page.
- Select your MWOClient.exe ( C:/Program Files (x86)/ Piranha Games/ Mechwarrior Online/ Bin32
- Then Select Bioshock.exe as the Application Profile.

Posted Image

P.S. No idea on SLi, maybe something similar can be set up.

#6 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

I seem to recall giving that a shot at one point. That game, and Crysis 3 itself. I'll try it again tonight, though I remember it not working on my particular system. I'll letcha know.

#7 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostAmsro, on 07 November 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Use the latest Beta driver to help with screen flicker, if you follow these steps you will enable crossfire for MWO.

- Open Catalyst Control Center
- Open Gaming tab
- Open 3d Applications tab
- Click +Add on this page.
- Select your MWOClient.exe ( C:/Program Files (x86)/ Piranha Games/ Mechwarrior Online/ Bin32
- Then Select Bioshock.exe as the Application Profile.

Posted Image

P.S. No idea on SLi, maybe something similar can be set up.

This worked for me the one issue I had was micro shutter, Turning Vsync on in the game options solved this problem

#8 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

I actually get a 10 percent framerate drop when I run it in bioshock.exe mode. Eh well. Hopefully it'll be supported once everything is finalized.

#9 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

SLI/Xfire isnt help much unless for somestrange reason ur running 2 lower end GPU's so that u then have enoug hGPU grunt to reach 60fps.

Any single GPU capable of constant 60 FPS wont gain anything from a second GPU since MWO is being limited by the game engine and CPU thread utilisation.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 08 November 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#10 Least Action Jackson

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 92 posts
  • LocationJust outside the Bomb Factory

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

It's a First World Problem, but I totally agree. SLI would be much appreciated.

#11 rustyk

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 08 November 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

SLI/Xfire isnt help much unless for somestrange reason ur running 2 lower end GPU's so that u then have enoug hGPU grunt to reach 60fps.

Any single GPU capable of constant 60 FPS wont gain anything from a second GPU since MWO is being limited by the game engine and CPU thread utilisation.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that this was the same engine as Crysis 3 and that benefits hugely from SLI.

#12 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

I got a 780, it can handle MWo easily on its own, yet drops below 60 FPS whilst having low GPU usage due to the way the game is coded and possible due to the thread utilsation. SLI would not help such situations.

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

View Postrustyk, on 08 November 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that this was the same engine as Crysis 3 and that benefits hugely from SLI.

If the game is capped (which MWO is), then no, a single videocard pulling 60 FPS will not benefit from a second. All you might end up doing is splitting the load between the cards.

#14 rustyk

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 08 November 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

If the game is capped (which MWO is), then no, a single videocard pulling 60 FPS will not benefit from a second. All you might end up doing is splitting the load between the cards.

That makes sense, didn't realise it was actually capped.

Where is that controlled from? Is there a setting that can be changed? I have 120 hz monitors so vsync won't be capping me at 60 fps.

#15 Sharp Spikes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSochi, Russia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

I've seen >80 FPS in moments when CPU load was low, so there's no 60 FPS cap.
The game is heavily CPU-bound however and because of that benefits of SLI/CF are questionable. I see 60-80 FPS in "testing grounds" and 25-50 FPS in online matches.

#16 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

There is no cap software wise. the 'cap' is more a result of CPu dependacny. The game runs as fast as it can untill 1 thread is maxed out on the CPU, at which point all other processes on both the CPu and GPU slow down to match it, thats the cap.

So u could have 4 of the worlds fastest Water cooled and OVerclocked GPU's (GTX 780ti's) running at 1920x1080 and still only get ~50 FPS in game(what that figure is is dependant on the single thread performance of ur CPU). Where as if u went and played a more GPU bound game u would see 120+ FPS.

#17 rustyk

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 09 November 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

There is no cap software wise. the 'cap' is more a result of CPu dependacny. The game runs as fast as it can untill 1 thread is maxed out on the CPU, at which point all other processes on both the CPu and GPU slow down to match it, thats the cap.

So u could have 4 of the worlds fastest Water cooled and OVerclocked GPU's (GTX 780ti's) running at 1920x1080 and still only get ~50 FPS in game(what that figure is is dependant on the single thread performance of ur CPU). Where as if u went and played a more GPU bound game u would see 120+ FPS.

Ok cool, so what we're saying is that it's not very multi-threaded and therefore CPU overclocking will potentially boost performance quite a lot? I'm know I'm going off topic a bit, but Intel CPU's tend to have significantly higher single threaded performance clock for clock versus AMD so maybe they need to work on that a bit as well.
Describing it as a cap is a bit misleading to me to be honest.

Also, I'm running 5760x1080 so I really do want SLI working in this title. I've used custom SLI bits which have literally doubled my FPS, but there are huge framerate variances which ruin the experience. Hope they fix it soon :-)

#18 Montevius Williams

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Same here Rustyk

I have two GTX 680 4gb in SLI and I can only get about 30-35 FPS in Mechwarrior Online. In Hawken, Im getting over 60. Both games are on maximum settings in 5670 x 1080.

I dont think this game is highly optimized. In 1980 x 1080p, I get over 150 fps in Hawken at max but in MWO, I can barely maintain 50.

#19 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

At one point I had some kind of SLI hack working with Nvidia Inspector (LOTS of custom bits that still caused flickering tons of places), but after patching it's all general horribleness again.

Rig specs As you can see, I have dual 670s and a 1440p 120hz monitor. With full window mode, vsync off, and all other displays unplugged (only have issues in MWO for who knows what reason, but I can't use my 5.1 surround HDMI receiver with this) I can use the user.cfg to set sys_MaxFPS = 114 and get about 70FPS (still capped to 60 on the mechbay)

It's not CPU limited - Low spec gives me 120FPS and only about 15-20% processor usage. Medium gives me 85, high gives me 75, and Ultra gives me high 60s, low 70s. Almost entirely a GPU limitation here.

With half of my rig going to waste, I'm really tired of waiting for a fix :(

#20 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Disclaimer: everything written further is not tested by myself.

1. install nvidiaInspector - Profile settings

2. do this:
Spoiler

3. If you have problems with "blinking" textures, disable post-processing and damage glow inside the game options.

Edited by Rubidiy, 28 January 2014 - 01:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users