240 replies to this topic

#221 Fherot

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 November 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Well, I would hope you are not discouraged. But think of this, you are tackling arguably the single most popular design (even if the design itself never made any bloody sense). So voting will, tbh not always make sense. The biggest thing is, people already have strong ideas what to them is a MArauder. Some of the best artistic designs, were quite simply not the best marauder designs. And some of the best execution was not always done for mechs that were actually the best "designs". Many of the designs I did not vote for would be winners if indeed it was simply a "design your best mech" contest.

It wasn't.

Well even as far as people's images of the Marauder in regard to my own image from recently (infact as I am typing this) reading the Gray Death legion saga as well as being quite familiar with the Zentraedi original design. When I read some comments by people on which submissions scream 'Marauder' to them - I go and look and I'm "Huh..?" just not seeing it. Vice versa is true as well on submissions I thought were spot-on.

My own submission excluded. First attempt at painting and a made-up as I went along drawing so I had no belief I'd win anything. Just talking about others that just clash completely with how I envision a Marauder based on the same books others have apparently read.

I will stick to new designs rather than try to make something up hoping it clicks the same with others as it does me...

Edited by Fherot, 17 November 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#222 R E A V E R

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I can understand what is said. Mine is a game model built for a computer game not not nice art. I knew if i tackeled the Marauder along the lines of Alex and a game unit, it would be a big risk.

I wasn't hoping to win, all i hope it does is well. This is because as its been said many people are passionate about it and an MWO marauder wouldn't forfill the fans expectations. That is the reason Ekman said what he said.

Mine is entered in the hope for PGI to see it and to know that such a thing is doable. The reason why is because if alex designs one, then it would probably look very similar to that but with the catapault's legs. If mine does well then it will be the community saying that a Marauder designed by Alex will have a good chance to be accepted.

Therefore more chance to get one and that is why we are here.

Good luck to the winners Some of those look very freaking cool.

Edited by Hammur, 17 November 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#223 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hmm.. so it seems I can't make polls in this forum. The thread will be created in the Feature Suggestions area because that's the only logical place that I'm able to make a thread with a poll...

This isn't something I had anticipated haha. I thought every forum you could make a poll under... Ah well.

#224 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

So I've been silent for this whole contest, but this has been a lot of fun to participate in, to see everyone's designs, and to the discussion that was created. I find it pretty amazing the talent that showed up, and considering our very opinionated community regarding a fan favorite mech how respectful the conversation has been.

Anyway, props to everyone involved especially MoonUnitBeta for throwing this party. Good luck to the finalists and I can't wait for the next one.

#225 ResidentCrow

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 November 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Yup. Too many people having trouble divorcing egos from their work. It is hard, because every artist on here put some of themselves out for people to display and judge. Thing is, to survive in this field, you need rhino skin, because for every bit of adulation you get, you NEED to get 2 pieces of critical thinking and such, or you will never grow. And pretty much every one of us have at onetime or another come up with something we thought perfect, only to be bewildered by the lack of response from others.

I completely agree with this. I put my piece up looking forward to the criticism I would get. Seeing what I failed to communicate is very valuable feedback. Thanks to those who took the time to comment on my work, whether it was with critiques or praise.

#226 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 November 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Hence, perfect hitboxes, etc, or not, it did not get my particular vote.

Just a thought here on hitboxes, we never see them. So to me they were never considered a part of the vote. Those are invisible and adjusted behind the scenes. I'm sure any of these could have perfect hitboxes. Unless we were really looking at making one of these an actual game asset...even then everything gets adjusted ;)

View PostHammur, on 17 November 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

I can understand what is said. Mine is a game model built for a computer game not not nice art.

That's the real challenge. Computer games being entertainment means you have to walk the line of nice art. Not to say it needs to be particularly stylish but I have a feeling many think of the Marauder as being that way.

#227 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hi everyone! the top 5 have been selected. Please check out this thread to cast one last vote to decide who will be the winners!

Even though not everyone can make it into this round, I want to re-iterate the drive of this contest. It means a huge amount that so many submissions came rolling in; it shows PGI the potential in diversity of the Marauder's design, drawing in such a vast amount of talent drives the support for the Marauder home, and each submission made is an example of the high expectations in a wide variety of hearts. It is interesting to see submissions that vary greatly in design, yet share similar amount of votes (not something I expected!). Thirty-one submissions and each one tells their own story. You'll notice that in the bottom left corner of the banners there are two words written there, and without the community there wouldn't be a contest. I hope that everyone who participated takes pride in their creations, and the opportunity to be a part of something great for something great - the Marauder!

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 18 November 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#228 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostFherot, on 17 November 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Well even as far as people's images of the Marauder in regard to my own image from recently (infact as I am typing this) reading the Gray Death legion saga as well as being quite familiar with the Zentraedi original design. When I read some comments by people on which submissions scream 'Marauder' to them - I go and look and I'm "Huh..?" just not seeing it. Vice versa is true as well on submissions I thought were spot-on.

Everyone brings his own pre-conceptions and associations in such things.

For example:
I am not familiar with the Gray Death legion saga nor the Zentraedi original design.
My first Marauder was the one in Mechwarrior 1. It looked probably the most awesome from all the available options, and it played well. (Though ultimately, you wanted 4 Battlemasters to beat the final mission.)

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 18 November 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

Hi everyone! the top 5 have been selected. Please check out this thread to cast one last vote to decide who will be the winners!

You should a link to the Top 5 Vote in the first post, too.

Like:

Voting for this phase has ended. Vote on the Top 5 here.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 18 November 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#229 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

Holy {Scrap}. I'm just going to echo the sentiments of the other posters and say .. wait this requires a meme.

Posted Image

#230 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 November 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Everyone brings his own pre-conceptions and associations in such things.

For example:
I am not familiar with the Gray Death legion saga nor the Zentraedi original design.
My first Marauder was the one in Mechwarrior 1. It looked probably the most awesome from all the available options, and it played well. (Though ultimately, you wanted 4 Battlemasters to beat the final mission.)

Like:

And ask a Mod (Niko Snow) to lock this threat, because of the vote numbers? (maybe)

#231 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostHammur, on 17 November 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

I can understand what is said. Mine is a game model built for a computer game not not nice art. I knew if i tackeled the Marauder along the lines of Alex and a game unit, it would be a big risk.

I wasn't hoping to win, all i hope it does is well. This is because as its been said many people are passionate about it and an MWO marauder wouldn't forfill the fans expectations. That is the reason Ekman said what he said.

Mine is entered in the hope for PGI to see it and to know that such a thing is doable. The reason why is because if alex designs one, then it would probably look very similar to that but with the catapault's legs. If mine does well then it will be the community saying that a Marauder designed by Alex will have a good chance to be accepted.

Therefore more chance to get one and that is why we are here.

Good luck to the winners Some of those look very freaking cool.

Well, I have to disagree. It's a cool in game model AND cool art, IMO. But it's kind of like being asked to do a WW2 fighter plane, and submitting a Stealth Fighter. It can be great, but not be what one is looking for.

So please don't think the quality or artistic merit of your work is being called into question. In my case, it certainly is not. I guess to me, it's like looking for the hottest brunette in the room, and your's is a blonde. She could be smoldering hot, but I'm still looking for a brunette.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 November 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#232 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 18 November 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

And ask a Mod (Niko Snow) to lock this threat, because of the vote numbers? (maybe)

You can still like posts when a thread is locked, so it wouldn't do anything.

#233 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 November 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Like:

Already exists ;)
But if you didn't see it, maybe it's in a bad spot.

#234 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Also, MoonUnitBeta, here's one Marauder created as a response to your contest, but not to participate in it.

Foxi-5 didn't want to enter the competition, but it is a Marauder... nonetheless, so it deserves to be seen here.
Posted Image

#235 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

That thing is deadly!!! Thanks for sharing Adridos!

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 18 November 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#236 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 18 November 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

That thing is deadly!!! Thanks for sharing Adridos!

Don't thank me... it's Foxi's work, after all. I just happened to find out about it when searching for a new pony mech. Knew what it was all about before even reading the description and couldn't just "keep it for myself."

Still can't think of why he didn't post it himself, though. He knows about the contest, so I assume he does have an account here and it's not like anyone would turn down good art just because it's more Robotech oriented... And not wanting to compete directly would've been a matter of a single sentence attached to the picture. ;)

#237 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

Well, for the contest, it needed to be a new version, you weren't allowed to bring in old designs.

#238 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Too late for mine? ^_^
Posted Image
Reseen Marauder.

#239 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostOdanan, on 19 November 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Too late for mine? :o
Posted Image
Reseen Marauder.

Good looking mech, but too much different for me to call it a Marauder. Arms should be ahead of the legs and autocannon/laser assembly, while not necessarily directly on top, should at least be a distinct feature, not just a barrel jutting out of the side torso. I would also never equip an XL engine in that, but maybe that was your plan ^_^

#240 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostCimarb, on 19 November 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Good looking mech, but too much different for me to call it a Marauder.

Is it?
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users