#21 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 20 November 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Yes - I confirmed this with some IGP guys... So if you decelerated from 100kph to 40kph going up an incline in 0.3 secs, this module would reduce that by 0.03 secs.

Yes.. exactly.

I trust the IGP guys.. I'm not going to spend 15,000 GXP and 6 million cbills to confirm what I already interpreted from the description and what they confirmed to be 100% certain.... Umm.. does anyone want to try and shed some insight?

I had the spare GXP.... I tired it on some mechs... Seems useless.. :) :D

#22 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Bought the module and am using it. While it wont do too much to get you over that super steep hill, you will enjoy a 10% (or more!) speed advantage over rough terrain and slopes compared to other mechs. Worth it to me, but then again I always felt that the speed tweak upgrade was the most important one when leveling mechs.

#23 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

It needs to change the maximum angle your mech can go up. Modifying the momentum will not prevent mechs from being stuck on seemingly good uphill routes.

#24 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostJonathan Paine, on 20 November 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Bought the module and am using it. While it wont do too much to get you over that super steep hill, you will enjoy a 10% (or more!) speed advantage over rough terrain and slopes compared to other mechs. Worth it to me, but then again I always felt that the speed tweak upgrade was the most important one when leveling mechs.

If that's the case maybe they should call it "bump climb".

#25 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

The hill penalties movement in the game at the moment is too severe, and a band-aid like the "Hill Climb" module does nothing to fix that.

The idea behind the system is good. Yes, you definitely shouldn't be able to climb everything with ease, but the current implementation needs to be adjusted. Loosen the deceleration inducing angles to to 50/45/40/30/25. Then, if you still want that "Hill Climb" module (that sorely needs a better name, something cool like "Escalade Booster System") make it reduce the deceleration by 15% base and 25% levelled up.

That will improve the game for new players, make medium sized mechs comparatively better and more desirable while still keep large and huge ones at a good manoeuvrability disadvantage.

#26 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hillclimbing should be an Elite skill, not a module. I refuse to buy it mostly based on that (and having better things to put modules on)

#27 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

so it's useless in other words

#28 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

me need pictures with little stick figures and arrows and stuff

#29 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Dragons benefit from it at max Speed. They are in the large movement archetype anyhow. Think those take greater benefit from the module and the fast ones as well.

#30 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

View Postdaemur, on 21 November 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

2 identical mechs move toward a hill at 80kph, one with Hill Climb and the other without. Both mechs will lose an equal amount of speed to, hypothetically, 40kph. If this change takes 1 second to occur, the mech with Hill Climb will reach 40kph 10% more slowly than the mech without.

So, you effectively are slightly faster over the course of 1.1 seconds in the above case.

Sounds like this is more useful for navigating bumpy terrain than actually climbing hills, but even then, it just sounds... not useful. In the above example, you're talking a mater of meters you get further than the other mech.

I'll pass.

I STILL think it should have replaced Pinpoint. I'd pay 3000 Mech XP per mech for it easily. Hell, I'd pay 6000 Mech XP. 15,000 GXP + cost of module (and opportunity cost of a module slot) makes it DOA IMHO.

Now, if it reduced the angle by 10% (IE, climb a 20 degree slope as if it were an 18 degree slope) I could see it having some value.

Edit: BTW, thanks for posting a clarification.

Edited by Bront, 21 November 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#31 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

so does this module make you stop slower? I was under the impression the only reason you stop is because your throttle is forced to zero. as it stands right now, your throttle decreases instantly when you hit steep terrain, you slow down gradually because your mech always slows down gradually.

Edited by JimboFBX, 21 November 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#32 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

LOL thank daemur that's exactly what I wanted ;)

#33 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for verifying the functionality of this moduile, daemur. It is as I had suspected, but it still leaves me pretty baffled. Forgetting for the moment the fact that there are other modules that do incredibly useful things like increasing the range of your sensors, or dumping a huge hunk of heat, etc... it's fine to make a module that has a very subtle, nearly unnoticeable effect, but with that being the case, how on earth did it wind up costing 15,000 GXP? In the same release there's this other module which substantially reduces the (highly disruptive) cockpit shake from incoming fire - far more useful a module by comparison, and that guy's a third the cost of this guy.

Going with the "bump climb" argument someone mentioned earlier vouching for the usefulness of this module - say your mech trips over a rock at 140 kph that would make you lose 40 kph. You slow to 100 kph briefly then recover your speed. With this module equipped, you would theoretically only slow to ~104 kph. The difference is subtle to the point that the benefit is practically imaginary.

#34 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postdaemur, on 21 November 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Correction, you would slow to 100kph in both cases, just a bit more slowly with the module than without (unless you are saying that you recover prior to hitting your bottom speed).

My hypothetical here isn't about a big hill that will successfully bring you all the way down to whatever hill climbing speed your mech is capable of, but a bump which you will pass long before your momentum is fully negated. In this case the slower rate of acceleration will allow you to carry more speed past that little obstacle, but not much.

That said, I'm guessing that this little benefit will be smaller than that, since in my experience most of the speed loss lights suffer from little boulders or bumps is a result of going briefly airborne then landing, rather than the hill climbing aspect of it.

#35 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostMotroid, on 21 November 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Dragons benefit from it at max Speed. They are in the large movement archetype anyhow. Think those take greater benefit from the module and the fast ones as well.

no it doesnt. decelleration to your new max speed is generally over a period of <1second. This module allows you to reach that new max speed 10% slower, so if for example you dropped from 80km/h to 50km/h over a period of 1 second which is going from 22 meters per second to 14 meters per second, 10% of that difference etc etc etc difference in decel of 8m/s over a period of 1 sec blahblah 0.8m/s change over a 1 second period is ....

Means you end up about 1-2 meters ahead of where you would have been without the module.

which makes it pretty useless. The only time it would actually be useful is if you were moving over terrain that looked like:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
where your constantly going through periods of decelleration.

Useful implementations would be:
+10% hill max speed not decell(additive, so if you were capped to 50% max speed, new max is 60% going uphill)
(bonus points if it applies to legged mechs 40km penalty cap)

+5% climbable angle. It is called hill climbing after all. It might let you run up the old goat track by the bridge in river city.

Edited by Asmosis, 22 November 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#36 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostAsmosis, on 22 November 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Useful implementations would be:
+10% hill max speed not decell(additive, so if you were capped to 50% max speed, new max is 60% going uphill)
(bonus points if it applies to legged mechs 40km penalty cap)

+5% climbable angle. It is called hill climbing after all. It might let you run up the old goat track by the bridge in river city.

+1 to either of those.
In it's current state it is completely useless no matter wich way you look at it AND costs you 15k GXP.
Maybe after getting the Adv Zoom fixed (and boy is it fixed, can't leave home without it anymore) the game was missing something completely worthless ?

#37 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I got hill climb and tried in in my BM, Cent and Atlas and it seems OK. The effect is noticeable, but particularly so in the cent who can now boot it up lots of places since he is fast moving anyway.

The module could probably be tweaked slightly upwards overall but the principle is good.

#38 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

+10% reduction in deceleration? I'll Pass
+10% in degree of climbing possible? I'll take three please

#39 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

View Postdaemur, on 21 November 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

I see your request, and raise you this:

Posted Image

The image relates to my above hypothetical scenario. The amount of time it takes for a mech to decelerate is variable.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

When you read this, I shall probably still be laughing.

#40 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostMuffinator, on 22 November 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

The effect is noticeable

either the description of what it does is inaccurate or you are imagining it

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users