74 replies to this topic

#61 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostMalzel, on 10 December 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Technically, the 1st RDR is mercenary. We're FRR, but we want to play in the take-and-hold-planets metagame, which means you have to go merc.

What are the requirements for web hosting? The FRR has a Facebook group, if that would work. If not, you could always just use one of the FRR groups' unit websites for application purposes. If the 5th Drakons have a website, try using that, or you can borrow the 1st RDRs' page. I'm sure they just want proof that you're a non-profit gaming group, and there's no need to pay for independent web hosting if we don't need to.

Should I move your channel down to the merc units section?

The requirements for a non-profit license are that you need an email address in the form user@mydomain.com and your website points to www.mydomain.com. In other words, we would need to purchase a domain and set up a mail server on the VPS. They're quite strict about the license requirements now, as opposed to previously. I can't just use the existing websites (or Facebook, Gmail, etc) because they don't come with a domain and a mail server. For now we don't have to worry about this, as I have a temporary solution in place. But once things start falling into their place I want to revisit this area.

#62 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

I don't mind being placed in either section. We consider ourselves a loyalist "House unit", but in order to play how we want to play, we have to click the "merc" option. (Or we will, once merc corps actually exist). I was just pointing out that gray area to say that FRR-aligned merc corps should probably be welcome on the server.

And I see about the domain. I guess it will just come down to which is more affordable, domain hosting for a non-profit, or renting slots in bulk. Because if this server is going to hold all of the FRR groups and all of the unaligned FRR players, I would estimate that we're going to want 300 slots at a minimum, preferably 500 to account for days with special events. Hell, on launch night, the 500-slot Comstar NA server was full up and kicking folks out.

#63 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

OK, I think I have the TS permissions mostly sorted out. So far only I can appoint Company Commanders (both as channel and server groups), but then the Commanders can appoint their Company Officers. Both will be able to appoint members to their unit's server group (ie 1stRDR, or SoR). They will also be able to drag members into their channels, but only if they are lower in the hierarchy. For example an Officer won't be able to move other Officers or Commanders around, or assign their groups. I can give more details once people start using it. Company Commanders will also be able to create channels in their unit's sections and shape them as they would like (within reason of course!). Company Officers will only be able to edit these details and create (semi)permanent channels.

Feel free to join on the server and I can start setting these up. Hopefully we won't run across any major issues. I should be around for the next two/three hours.

#64 Jaxwen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

martino2k6, fyi, Odin's Host is waiting for CW to be live before we commit to using Merc of House status. We choose lore to be "irregulars" and may go the Merc route like SoR and 1stRDR. FRR combat forces are not restricted to "house" status. Too many unknowns to commit to an undeveloped aspect of MWO gaming in our current estimation.

As for "commander", we do not have one in the conventional sense. Feel free to bump whichever Odinite you see on first to that role. Probably Abivard, Bezerkah, Kith Kinda, or ipox would be available for the 1st point of unit contact permissions.

Thanks!

#65 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostJaxwen, on 10 December 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

martino2k6, fyi, Odin's Host is waiting for CW to be live before we commit to using Merc of House status. We choose lore to be "irregulars" and may go the Merc route like SoR and 1stRDR. FRR combat forces are not restricted to "house" status. Too many unknowns to commit to an undeveloped aspect of MWO gaming in our current estimation.

As for "commander", we do not have one in the conventional sense. Feel free to bump whichever Odinite you see on first to that role. Probably Abivard, Bezerkah, Kith Kinda, or ipox would be available for the 1st point of unit contact permissions.

Thanks!

That's understandable for now. I think many other groups currently have this 'unknown' status. We could always scrap the distinctions for now and just put all the groups in the same section. OK, I'll add one or two from that list for command and they'll be able to do the remainder for their unit's members and channel.

#66 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Wordpress is now up and running as well; http://162.243.232.211/ This opens up possibilities for groups to have their own sections/subwebsites if they wish. SimpleMachinesForum will be next, for forums. Oh, and I need to find a decent looking theme that would fit the FRR. If anyone would like to have a browse... http://wordpress.org/themes/

Daily goal achieved, retreat to bed imminent!

Edited by martino2k6, 12 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#67 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Postmartino2k6, on 12 December 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Wordpress is now up and running as well; http://162.243.232.211/ This opens up possibilities for groups to have their own sections/subwebsites if they wish. SimpleMachinesForum will be next, for forums. Oh, and I need to find a decent looking theme that would fit the FRR. If anyone would like to have a browse... http://wordpress.org/themes/

Daily goal achieved, retreat to bed imminent!

Thanks for the awesome work Martino! We sent a few groups over to play tonight on the hub, having a good time!

#68 PerryRaptor

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

I stopped by your new FRR Hub TeamSpeak Server...looking good!!!

After you guys get a regular crowd going maybe we can schedule matches between FRR Hub and Steiner Hub to have some sync-drops and other fun! Contact Peiper to setup some events.

Also, you guys are welcome to join our Friday Night Sync-drops -- all you need is some beer, laughter, and the desire to have fun. We kick it going around 8:30 pm Eastern. I think our recent Fridays averaged about 30 players a night. Join us anytime on TeamSpeak => ts1.housesteiner.com

Shoot Y'all Later,

PerryRaptor
6th RCT Apache Division
Steiner Hub Admin

#69 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostDamon Howe, on 12 December 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the awesome work Martino! We sent a few groups over to play tonight on the hub, having a good time!

Glad you had a good time. I looked at the server logs and noticed that there was more activity than usual <_< I actually woke up this morning to the server being dangerously low on memory, but I tweaked it to give priority to TeamSpeak since no one at the moment is using the website stuff.

View PostPerryRaptor, on 13 December 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

I stopped by your new FRR Hub TeamSpeak Server...looking good!!!

After you guys get a regular crowd going maybe we can schedule matches between FRR Hub and Steiner Hub to have some sync-drops and other fun! Contact Peiper to setup some events.

Also, you guys are welcome to join our Friday Night Sync-drops -- all you need is some beer, laughter, and the desire to have fun. We kick it going around 8:30 pm Eastern. I think our recent Fridays averaged about 30 players a night. Join us anytime on TeamSpeak => ts1.housesteiner.com

Shoot Y'all Later,

PerryRaptor
6th RCT Apache Division
Steiner Hub Admin

Thanks PerryRaptor. Yeah, that would be great. I'm sure we FRRs would love the challenge of going up against some Steiner Scout Lances :) We just need to get more people in there, and find someone that would like to take charge of organising these things.

First off all I would like to suggest to members of groups who play on the server to use the general dropships outside of your unit's practice (or dedicated) drops. This way you might find it easier to fill a 4-man groups if there are players from other units on. It will also increase your chance of recruiting someone, which is something that has been raised to me as a reason why some groups still prefer to have their main presence on other servers.

Secondly, is there anyone that would like to be an events coordinator? Right now it's still a bit empty so there may not be enough regular users to fill an event, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could take charge of this and could start coming up with some ideas. These events could also attract more users in. I'd rather not do this myself as I've been busy enough with admin duties and getting the system setup. This should become less of a problem once the stuff will be in place, but even so I'd like to restrict my role (and time, since I would also like to play the game lol!).

Edited by martino2k6, 13 December 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#70 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

I've been giving taggs to some people who are un aligned, if you see any officer on from any unit, you can ask them to give a tag for your unit.

#71 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

I just thought that i would comment on someone saying that they didnt see so many FRR people ingame. I have the exact opposite experience, the people i see most when pugging are Steiners but after that i usually see FRR people coming second in numbers.

It might be a difference in timezones as i play in central european timezone mostly in the evenings.

#72 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

That could very well be a timing issue, Carl. I'm sure a lot more Scandinavian and Europeans in general would align more with FRR than the other Houses. By the time I log in, late Pacific time, FRR is pretty lean in numbers.

#73 Troopie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostCarl Wrede, on 14 December 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

I just thought that i would comment on someone saying that they didnt see so many FRR people ingame. I have the exact opposite experience, the people i see most when pugging are Steiners but after that i usually see FRR people coming second in numbers.

It might be a difference in timezones as i play in central european timezone mostly in the evenings.

There is also international section in this forum, there you can see FRR activity if you are able to understand something...
http://mwomercs.com/...-international/

#74 chaos585

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 100 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Is the hub still looking for an activity organizer?

Edited by chaos585, 10 January 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#75 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

View Postchaos585, on 10 January 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

Is the hub still looking for an activity organizer?

Yes, feel free to PM here or hit me up on TS when I'll be on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users