Suggestion

7 replies to this topic

#1 Anu Kajal

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

What I would really like to see, is an avatar chat room where pilots can interact with each other through 3D, real-time chat rooms. I think it would be really cool and allow players to meet each other like in bars and other locations etc. Would be really cool...

#2 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thats something they have stated is not in the direction the game is allegedly going(would not mind seeing my mechs from ground level myself). You can also expect people to come by and tell you to play star citizen, probably followed by a few posts on the differences in Mechwarrior, Battletech and Robotech.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

This is not likely to happen, but...

There was something from a much older Battletech computer game which involved a bar. It had a PNG rendering of a bar counter, some minor background and a bar tender and could be used to collect rumors, hear about jobs, etc.

Minus the 3D stuff, the idea here could be reasonably cheaply implemented as a sort of online chat or open social area for players to find and meet up with others.

It'd be a place that I would spend some time in. :D

#4 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

I would be fine with any kind of chat area. They really don't seem to understand this aspect of player engagement and retention. In the age of games like Farmville being a huge success, how can PGI justify ignoring the social aspect of gaming and it's impact on their bottom line?

Is it really so hard to add a handful of chat channels to a game?

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Text chat channels in a global lobby attached to the bottom of the Mech/Pilot Lab window, yes. This would switch to a match-only lobby when you get separated out to do a drop.

Any kind of interaction with avatars, no. This isn't The Sims Mech Edition. You want that, go play WoW, TERA, Neverwinter, or any of that type of game.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 07 December 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#6 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I loved the way that WoW handled chat channels, where you could join or leave chat channels easily as well as letting users freely create their own sub-channels. When I played WoW, the guilds I played in had women as almost half the active members. Most of the women in my guilds used WoW as a chat platform while doing quests, crafting/gathering items, or using the auction house. People really like to be able to log on and instantly be greeted by their online friends. This is something that is sorely lacking in MWO.

Back when I first started playing WoW, gaming was still kind-of a boy's club in my mind. WoW really opened my eyes to how many girl-gamers there are looking to play the same kind of games I play. I'm not gonna go on some rant white-knighting for females, but MWO feels like I'm back in the boy's club of gaming. I'm just trying to say that there is an untapped market for games that supply the communication tools that appeal to both men and women.

I spend alot of time in the mechlab and would like the tools to talk to/with/at someone and possibly make some friends while I tweak my ride. I don't think that's too much to ask for as we head into 2014.

#7 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

:D

#8 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Maybe. But the devs need to focus on U.I 2.0 and CW right now. A chat room without avatars would be good (and rather easy) but a barracks style bar or NCO club shouldn't be a priority.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users