Mech Emotes

21 replies to this topic

Poll: MECH emotes in game (45 member(s) have cast votes)

would you like to see mech emotes in game in some fashion?

1. Yes (explain why if you care to) (21 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. No(explain why if you care to) (7 votes [15.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

3. TAKE MY MONEY/DO IT NOW!!!!! (5 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. KEEP YOUR GIRLY EMOTES OUT OF MY HARDCORE MECH SIM!!!1! (8 votes [17.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

5. on the fence (explanation below) (4 votes [8.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Draxist

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 69 posts
  • Locationnear a lot of people

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

PLEASE READ BEFORE USING POLL IF YOU ARE GOING TO VOTE

I know this is buried somewhere deep in the forums, but I wanted to bring it back up.

Mech emotes.

nothing super flashy, nothing super nuts. I just want to be able to express myself with my mech. In BT lore (a dangerous thing to bring up I know) mechs can articulate the fingers and hands (if they have them) to pick up stuff, grab, fight, etc.

What I want to be able to do, is perform short simple animations in game that are all for flash and flair, not really function.

some ideas I had are as follows:

mechs with two working hand actuators:

/crack knuckles
-what it sounds like: imagine at the start of the round you're piloting your atlas or commando and do /crack knuckles and on screen the mech reaches forward, interlaces the fingers, and does a good flip-around crack of the ol' flanges. better yet, just downed an enemy? let them know you did it in Style!

/brush arms
-same concept, the mech brushes off its arms like it is removing the dust and washing up after a brawl

mechs with one working hand actuator (e.g.: centurion or dragon)

/brush cannon
-the mech take the other hand and brushes off the cannon arm much like the /brush for two handed mechs

/raise cannon
-just like raising a sword for a charge, the cannon arm raises up to rally the troops.

mechs with no hand actuators but lower arms (e.g. cataphract 4x)

/sharpen guns (or something like that)
-mech takes both barrels and starts rubbing them together much like sharpening a knife on a rod or a wet stone

mechs with no hand actuators or lower arms (e.g. catapults and jagers)

/droop
-mech arms and torso droop down to express sadness

/wigglewigglewiggle
-mech's arms start erratically wiggling up and down to express excitement

these are all just ideas I came up with (some on the spot hence the stupidity of /wigglewigglewiggle and /droop) to show what we could do.

I would imagine that functionality of the mech would have to be overridden to allow the animation to go through (e.g. your mech would stop moving forward and go on autopilot to do the animation), which would make sense in that you wouldn't taunt someone like the above unless you were stopped. this would also make doing emotes a conscious decision in terms of "hmmm, I am getting shot at, maybe doing that emote right now to taunt my fallen foe is a bad idea since it will hold me up". obviously if you were suddenly in trouble it would make sense that you could exit the animation at any time otherwise the emotes would not be fun to do nor be used EVER.

CLARIFICATION HERE:
as per Enzane's post, I would imagine that while doing an emote, you would still be susceptible to incoming fire (Normal hitboxes) since you are on an ACTIVE BATTLEFIELD. If you get shot gloating, its your fault.

some emotes could be chassis specific just due to almost every mech model being unique to itself (such as the catapult missile variants opening/closing one missile bay door and wiggling it up in down as to wave to someone). this would take more time and effort on PGI's part but it could pay off.

I would imagine that we could have emotes be MC items (real cheap, say 15MC per or a cost scale based upon complexity like the hero mech system) so that PGI could get some income off of them while providing more cool flair items for those in the community who want them.

again this is just one way we could see this in game, and by all means I don't think these are the "best emotes to do" or "best way to do them" nor am I telling PGI "DOO IIITTT NNAAOOOOWWWW".

Discuss and use the poll to express how much (or not) you would like to see mech emotes in-game as a flair item at some point.

Edited by Draxist, 09 December 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#2 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Certainly a cool idea. Allowing us to add more personality.

But it would take programming time. as each individual mech would have to be animated per command.

Not to mention per weapon in each slot. what happens if you do "/Crack Knuckles" In a dragon? It's only got the one claw... Or a centurion, it has two thumbs! and the shield is in the way.

Plus as they are using time to program this in, they could be programming Community Warfare!

I love the idea but I also dont:

Introduces Action based Gloating into the game. Taunting, and glitching. (what happens if a user sets a macro to spam an action? then Moves his mech, does it over-ride the action stopping it? does the mech start moving stop, and throw off the visual hitboxes?)

This is a Mech Sim. A realistic one (sort of). So I'd love to see Melee moves, picking up cars/trees/mech arms, Carrying downed allies? (There's an Idea! Got a legged Jenner? Pick him up in an atlas arm and let him start shooting again!)

Overall, I would rather see this put in MUCH MUCH later into the game.

TL:DR
Allows people to gloat/act like jerks. Takes time away from Programming the good stuff (Community warfare and the like). But good idea to be implemented much later, down the road.

#3 Draxist

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostEnzane, on 09 December 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Allows people to gloat/act like jerks. Takes time away from Programming the good stuff (Community warfare and the like). But good idea to be implemented much later, down the road.

sorry I didn't make it clearer, but that is a HUGE point I was hoping to get across. I don't think either that they should do it right now, but as a later feature once CW is finally in game.

Introduces Action based Gloating into the game. Taunting, and glitching. (what happens if a user sets a macro to spam an action? then Moves his mech, does it over-ride the action stopping it? does the mech start moving stop, and throw off the visual hitboxes?)

I should have also clarified this (and will in a second) that hit-boxes would be unaffected, meaning if you are shot at while gloating over a kill, you are still gonna take damage. the glitching aspect would be something PGI would have to handle in public/private tests and maybe implement a system to prevent such problems from happening. again, after they finish up getting CW and U.I. 2.0 implemented.

Not to mention per weapon in each slot. what happens if you do "/Crack Knuckles" In a dragon? It's only got the one claw... Or a centurion, it has two thumbs! and the shield is in the way.

whole point of the "emotes per hand actuator" description I gave. The centurions wouldn't be able to do a /knuckle crack because they only have one hand. they would have their own special category due to their unique shape.

of course there could be base emotes like /wave that all mechs could do to some degree, which wouldn't leave everyone out of the fun if PGI were to introduce emotes into the game in stages.

Allows people to gloat/act like jerks.

well, I hate to use this argument (as per I hate the reasoning behind it) but this is the internet; as long as we have anonymity from one another through pixels and lines of code, people will use that to be jerks (I admit I am guilty of this and not proud of it) regardless of having emotes or not. They already use the forums, in game chat, and Friendly fire to be jerks; emotes will not do much more to change what they do. We as the community need to report players that abuse the system, and be good stewards of it ourselves as to promote good sportsmanship and a fun place to hang out and blow up giant stompy robots :)

#4 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yes, I like the idea. As Enzane noted I want game play updates before fluff, but it's a fine idea. Check out the emotes in Super Monday Night Combat, they're all cool and purchasable with cash. They also are hard to pull off well in most situations as you don't want to stop in a fight and take damage. But for those 1v1 fights that sometimes happen off the beaten path it's lots of fun to throw a little salt on the wound, and if the animations are well done and fun to watch I don't think they're too unbearable for the receiving end.

#5 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Seeing my stalker flip its arms around in 360's?
Watching a hunchback thumbs-up an ally?
Atlas fist-pump?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

#6 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

There is only one scenario where I would be all for it and that is if game was true f2p because it isn't I don't care for things like that its just silly. but it would be fun to kill those who use them during a fight.

#7 Zakie Chan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

Would be fun to see so long as they werent to cheesy. Thumbs up, salutes, etc would be pretty neat to see.

Using the free look key in game you can get some really good stuff going. For example, YLW will only move the gun arm, makes a great way to wave hello to your teammates

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

I like the idea, but to be honest some of these we can already do. One-arm-movement mechs can easily "wave" and give hand gestures with a tad bit of personal skill in the controls. Mechs can dance to mock enemies.

Actually, yesterday in my Awesome 8Q there was a player in a Quickdraw fighting a Hunchback 4P.

The 4P legged the Quickdraw, and then stopped firing likely due to heat. The Quickdraw looked at us as if expecting to die but fired his lasers at me. I fired 3 PPCs into his chest, but given the map that was hot and I had to wait. So we stood there.

...We stood there.

He fired missiles. The combined AMS of me and the Hunchback destroyed all the missiles before they left the launchers.

We stood there.

Finally I pressed left CTRL and moved my mouse up and then rapidly hit shift (I literally waved at him). The Quickdraw twisted away from the Hunchback and looked at me.

I shot him again. Another will do it.

He stared. I waved. He waved back. I killed him and smiled in chat. I then asked him why he didn't fight back. He replied: "lol dead anyway and shs too hot"

(True story.)

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

*sigh*

No.

#10 Draxist

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 09 December 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

*sigh*

No.

may I cordially ask why?

#11 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

I'm for this. I *believe* there are precedents for this in the lore - battlemechs are actually more "flexible" than the games portray. The Sarna page for "battlemech" indicates that mechs with hands are actually able to climb (what they're climbing I don't know - a mech sized ladder?).

I'm down to throw some emotes. I already use the free-look function to wave at people (such as in Koniving's example).

#12 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Can I get a pelvic thrust button like in Unreal Tournament?

#13 Draxist

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 10 December 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

you and SeanLang should talk, I think you two would be best of buds. he has an affinity for the pelvic thrusts of the Atlas's walking animation.

View PostKoniving, on 09 December 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

(True story.)

believe every word of it, and have done similar myself. loved the story :lol:

View PostArtgathan, on 10 December 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

The Sarna page for "battlemech" indicates that mechs with hands are actually able to climb (what they're climbing I don't know - a mech sized ladder?).

:P climbing what indeed, I could imagine a "difficult incline" needing hands and feet, but what else? I mean, these are multi-ton war machines, what ladder is that big?

#14 Henry Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 10 December 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

#15 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

This is definitely by far one of the worst things that I have ever read on these forums.

OP is missing the point of this game entirely. GO PLAY WOW

#16 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostDraxist, on 10 December 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

:unsure: climbing what indeed, I could imagine a "difficult incline" needing hands and feet, but what else? I mean, these are multi-ton war machines, what ladder is that big?

In TT there were optional rules for climbing hex-levels more than 2 high from the one currently in. It was difficult and usually resulted in a fall, damaging the mech and likely injuring the pilot. I cannot recall maybe one or two games where I actually did this, only playing double-blind movement, and only as an ambush tactic. Easier just to use jump jets.

#17 Cart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

On one side it can be used for emotes(which is nice, but not really needed), but on the other side it could be used f.e. to give the signal for a push ("raise cannon"). And thing like that could be really useful, because many players aren't connected with any voip.

And, if I may suggest another one:
I really want a "facepalm"! Sometimes, that's the best to comment what some players do... :ph34r:
Just imagine an Atlas-facepalm... :)

Edited by Cart, 04 May 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#18 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Sweet idea. Plus how about audio com frequency taunts? Very lore-ish. I wouldn't mind if a taunt took up a module slot to keep it from getting out of hand even. PGI could sell 'em actually along with emotes, everybody wins.

#19 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

I can do this for free. I already dance on cap points and wave to other mechs.

#20 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

View PostDraxist, on 09 December 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Mech emotes.

Sir, I salute you.

PGI, take my money!!

Edited by Raggedyman, 05 May 2014 - 01:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users