#21 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 27 December 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

And they are conveniently below the torso so you can protect your legs....

But their hitboxes won't be. They'll be huge. Huge to protect that torso that has no weapons and help cover those precious ears so you can LRM spam with impunity and be TOP PLAYER™. Obfuscated hitboxes are what this game has always been about. :P

We'll get a refresh in 9 months. Maybe.

#22 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 27 December 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

But their hitboxes won't be. They'll be huge. Huge to protect that torso that has no weapons and help cover those precious ears so you can LRM spam with impunity and be TOP PLAYER™. Obfuscated hitboxes are what this game has always been about. :P

We'll get a refresh in 9 months. Maybe.

Well the RT of the prime will have a MG, so at least 1 ballistic port in a torso.

#23 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 27 December 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Well the RT of the prime will have a MG, so at least 1 ballistic port in a torso.

The thing that I can't figure out is how are they going to model the missile ports and the arms? That seems like a pretty tall order, coding-wise given how few guys they have actually developing.

Hopefully they do the right thing and make them separate. You never know...

#24 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Since you can't change the engine and armor/chassis/DHS layout..... no.
Those Omnimechs seem to be even more restricted than IS Mechs.

As stated, the Clan UAC/20 only takes 8 slots, so you can put it even on arms with hand actuators... Just saying, it will not be the mechs thats OP. AC/80 for the win.

#25 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Clan mechs will suffer from the same survivability issues as IS mechs..... cored center torsos.

A 75 tone mech if i remember correctly can only carry 15 tones of armor. the same as the awesome. but the timber wolf only uses i beleave 10. so it has the same armor as a 50 ton mech.

yes it can move fast but the game is not scaled for the conversion from RNG to human level targeting skill or the effects mech shape has on survivability.

o and dont forget the cockpit position will give it the same head hit frequency as the catapult.

So unless PGI does something sneaky and gives clan mechs a 20% damage resistance buff we cant see. The timber wolf will be about as viable as the updated awesome but with much more firepower~ 2x. so expect around 50 point alphas, but the survivability of the yen lo wang.

Edited by Tombstoner, 27 December 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#26 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostTombstoner, on 27 December 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Clan mechs will suffer from the same survivability issues as IS mechs..... cored center torsos.

A 75 tone mech if i remember correctly can only carry 15 tones of armor. the same as the awesome. but the timber wolf only uses i beleave 10. so it has the same armor as a 50 ton mech.

yes it can move fast but the game is not scaled for the conversion from RNG to human level targeting skill or the effects mech shape has on survivability.

o and dont forget the cockpit position will give it the same head hit frequency as the catapult.

So unless PGI does something sneaky and gives clan mechs a 20% damage resistance buff we cant see. The timber wolf will be about as viable as the updated awesome but with much more firepower~ 2x. so expect around 50 point alphas, but the survivability of the yen lo wang.

You are thinking of the Summoner. The Mad Cat runs 230/231 stock armor. It will be 460/462 in MWO. Granted it will still only be 72 CT armor.

The Summoner runs 182/217 or 364/434 of which it will only have 54 front CT armor, where I run my CTF with at least 80.

Edited by 3rdworld, 27 December 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#27 Felbombling

• 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

Abrahms, nice to see you posting again. I was lamenting just the other day that posters such as yourself were long gone from the game after posting detailed warnings to PGI, with graphs and math and stuff... only to be ignored. All of our predictions came true, btw. Good luck with your Timber Wolf. I don't think I'd touch one with a ten foot pole myself, given what we've seen the Catapult suffer through, but more power to you.

#28 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostKhobai, on 27 December 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

Doubt it. PGI has always wanted us to be able to play stock configurations. So you can count on the tonnage and crit slots of clan weapons not changing.

In case my previous post was badly worded, I meant to say that the "powerful" part was getting nerfed (not the tonnage or crits).

View PostMister Blastman, on 27 December 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Hah. I wish on the compact part. I bet the Madcat will be as big as an Atlas.

I was referring to the reduced critical slot size on most Clan equipment ("compact").

#29 Abrahms

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

I was being somewhat sarcastic with my timberwolf being overpowered.

Chances are, they only people to get one would be people like myself with worthless MC and nothing to use it on (because the game is dead)

At least I can stomp around in a classic favorite mech with the awesome new reboot art.

#30 Silence Jin Mang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 170 posts
  • LocationVirginia, america

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

To the posts about LRMs, they are useful, trust me. When I can have one LRM boat in my lance and it gets 1000+ damage constantly, I think is shows they are useful. And on to the fact of calling them only useful as support, um, explain to me what LRMs are used for again? Fire support? Who would have ever expected that. LRMs are as they should be whether you think it or not. They are perfect as support, its what they were designed as.

And as to the OP`s original post, the timberwolf will be a fine killing machine. With the ability to lose a side torso and arm, yet still have more firepower and variety than an atlas proves that it will dominate. But so will most clan mechs, the reason is the unpredictability of the fits and the sheer amount of firepower brought to the table.

Oh, and b*tch all you want about how this game is dead and {Scrap}, unless you play it, you have no rights to say it. Man up and play it, or shut up, no one wants to hear your pathetic cries and shouts. They carry nothing but rage that PGI is doing all wrong, when they have done alright. They ****** up along the way, but who hasn't? The game is at it`s most balanced since early early beta, and other than peoples unoriginality to make their own builds (therefore spawning all the J-Bombs and Pop-tarts) almost any non-troll build can kill another mech. Don't believe me, I have the stats to prove it and the skill to show it.

But maybe if you cry loud enough, you might drive away the FPS/RTS people, and leave only the respectful and dedicated players/fans of battletech. You obviously show you arent one, and again don't get to judge because you can read the patch notes. I can go read them too, that doesn't mean you know nothing but the raw mechanics, the human factor is what makes the difference. So ghost heat exists, learn to manage your heat better. Honestly, if you got the skill to play good, the one or two balancing fixes don't mess you up, and only help you exploit others inability to adapt. Its how real mechs work in battletech, exploit the weaknesses of the other MechWarrior. Its almost like lore already, but you know, complain that a few players exploit it and dominate when you cant get the balls to play and get that good. And yes I`m going to call you out, if you want to call PGI out, then you get the same treatment. If you could do this SO much better than PGI, go. Go make me the next MechWarrior online, go on. If you are so high and mighty and think you know the half of the math that gets put in, go ahead. Maybe you might even get some funders from all the other criers. If you don't like the way someone does something, do it yourself. Otherwise shut up, and deal with it.

#31 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 27 December 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Probably wont have JJs. Not going to be very good.

I doubt they are going to keep the "can't change armor or engines" they talked about, in which case the Summoner will be better than the Timberwolf.

I hope you're right about that.

I have been trying to figure out how I can translate either my CPLT-C1(F) or CPLT-A1(C) into a clan mech, and the amount of LRM ammo I need to run in MWO (3t per LRM launcher minimum) messes with the weight enough to cause problems with most clan mechs. Tabletop, 1t per launcher is usually good enough, but it doesn't cut it in MWO.

If not for the ammo limits, a Summoner Prime (which you can build, minus JJs, with a Thunderbolt) is a weapon layout.

I'd be content with nerfed clan weapons, nerfed clan heatsinks, etc., if they'd leave me with sphereoid-style customization.

#32 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

Half way down the first page, and I stopped reading because there were immediate cries of clan weapon nerfs somehow making clan mechs not powerful and when, in fact, only Clan energy weapons are slated to suffer direct nerfs with the LRM 15/20 maybe, but unlikely to, suffer a tonnage change.

Will the Timber Wolf be overpowered? No, and here is why:
  • 15 *DHS is what the mech has to cool its total heat generating firepower of 2x ERLLas, 2xERMLas, MPlas, and twin LRM20. That is enough to manage any two groups, plus the medium pulse, before beginning to get too toasty for continued fire. *Assuming DHS 1.4 cooling remains for whatever reason.
  • Hitboxes on the mech, while not as bad in the side torso issue as easily feared due to Clan XL engine idiosyncrasies, still leave the Center Torso somewhat exposed, though to what end is still to be seen. The arms might very well be able to shield the torso somewhat. Still, the nose is going to stick out there.
  • Non-optimized armor locations will impact survivability of the mech. It might have near maximum armor, but if it has 30 points of rear torso armor then it is missing ~15 points of front torso armor, putting it at a disadvantage against more optimized armor shifted mechs.
What I suspect the Timber Wolf will be is flexible. Like the Stalker, you will have weapons for any range bracket and, coupled with the speed of the mech, giving you options in how you choose to engage the enemy. ERLLas and LRM20 for long range, ERMLas and LRM20 for medium range, MPlas machine guns and (possibly) LRM20 for close range with ERMLas thrown in now and then. Utilizing all the weapon systems will result in a very quick time to overheat.

#33 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

How old is this topic?
Well it turns out the guy who started this is a prophet ! !

The Timberwolf is MAD OP

I have gone head to head with a Timberwolf at least three times in my maxed out brawler Direwolf and the Timberwolf killed me first. Its the hard points / armor. The timberwolf is a better brawler than the Direwolf.

#34 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

FEED ME MOAR DEAD THREADS!!!

Hah, beat you to it this time Pariah. :3

If you are losing a Dire Wolf to a Timber Wolf can I suggest using a different Mech and never, ever touching the Assault chassis ever again?

#35 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostFrontGuard, on 27 September 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

How old is this topic?
Well it turns out the guy who started this is a prophet ! !

The Timberwolf is MAD OP

I have gone head to head with a Timberwolf at least three times in my maxed out brawler Direwolf and the Timberwolf killed me first. Its the hard points / armor. The timberwolf is a better brawler than the Direwolf.

Some people are good, some people are bad.

I've won a 1v1 in my Dire Wolf vs a Timberwolf

I've won a 1v1 in my Timberwolf vs a Dire Wolf.

It depends on the build used as well....since the C-bill release of the Dire Wolf I've seen many terrible builds and people who play the 'mech wrong. I run 2 PPC/2 Gauss in my Dire Wolf Prime and feast on the guys running a bunch of the smaller UACs.....those things just spread damage everywhere and don't core you fast enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users