[Guide] Newbies : How To Pick Your First Mech

24 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

This is a very important choice for you as without the cadet bonuses, it will take you close to a hundred matches in the current paul economy to afford a new mech (taking into account the cost to fully outfit it as well), not to mention the time needed to get elite efficiencies (which make a huge difference).

Unfortunately, most of the mechs and variants in the game are currently useless due to PGI's inept balancing, so this choice is not as obvious as it would seem. It's not a simple matter of going "Oh, this mech looks like it has good hardpoints, i will take it!". Nope.

First thing's first : Take a look at the mech lab options in this forum, there is an online one and a downloadable one. Modifying a mech in them is much faster than trying to do the same ingame, even if you have the mech and all components purchased.

The current metagame heavily favors two things : ballistic boating and sniping, preferably with jump jets. Any mech that cannot do this is by default, at a disadvantage (exceptions : fast mechs that can cap, and ECM capable mechs). Don't expect this to be fixed any time soon, this has been broken for more than 6 months and PGI refuses to fix it. The most terrifying mech to encounter in this game is not an Atlas....but a jagermech ballistic boat that will shred an atlas in no time at all (due to PGI's amazing weapon balancing).

This guide is intended to help you examine a mech for the not so obvious things that will make a difference ingame when you are using it. I'm not going to talk about things like play style or looks or faction allegiance, etc.

Mech Tonnage

Mech tonnage is, in theory, important because it determines how powerful your mech can be (roughly) in it's weight class. The current matchmaking system will attempt to match two teams of equal weight classes against each other (which it frequently fails to do because PGI is bad at making things work). Taking a 20 ton Locust that will let your enemy have a 35 ton Jenner is not a good idea, which is part of the reason why people don't favor the lighter mechs in each weight class.

Mech Size

This is hard to tell, because there is no way ingame to compare mech sizes against each other, short of dropping into a match and comparing it to friendlies. This may seem obvious, but larger mechs are easier to hit, especially with spread weapons like LRMs, SRMs and the LBX. This is also why some mechs are simply terrible, even though they have decent specs on paper....their size pulls them down. A 40 ton Cicada is meant to measure up against other lights, but it is MUCH larger (and hence, much easier to kill) compared to the 35 ton Jenner. The Atlas is also not used much (barring the ECM version) because it is a HUGE target. You want to pick a mech that is correctly sized for its weight class, and isn't overly large. Larger mechs will draw much more firepower on the battlefield due to human psychology, nobody wants to try hitting a Kintaro going 100 kph when theres a big fat Atlas next to it.

Example of mechs that are badly oversized : The Atlas, Awesome, Cicada, Quickdraw.

Scaling chart courtesy of Kong Interstellar. I make no claim to the accuracy of this chart :

Posted Image

Hardpoints

This is really, really important because while some mechs have great hardpoints on paper, the location completely ruins them. PGI has so far refused to fix any mechs afflicted with hardpoint location issues for more than 1.5 years since closed beta started, so don't expect any fixes here, ever.

As an example, consider the AS7-D. 4 energy hardpoints, 2 ballistic hardpoints and 2 missle hardpoints, on a 100 ton mech. Should be able to fit lots of firepower into it right? But here are the problems with it :

-2 of the energy hardpoints are in the CT (only 2 free slots), which limits them to 2 med lasers basically.

-The remainign two energy hardpoints are located in the arms, which have useless arm actuators in them that do nothing but stop you from mounting more stuff in there, like heatsinks.

-Both ballistic hardpoints are in the same side torso....most ballistics take up lots of slots, so you cant really take advantage of both hardpoints.

-The max missle tube size is 6 and 10, which prevents you from using LRMs effectively. (See below)

In comparison, the Jagermech can mount 2 AC20s or 4 low caliber ACs. That is a lot more firepower than a AS7-D can put out, despite a 35 ton advantage. All because of hardpoint locations. Which is one key reason why you don't see people using the AS7-D much.

You also want to avoid mechs where most or all of their firepower is concentrated on one side. The HBK-4G is the best example of this. Take out the huge RT, with the very easy to shoot at hunch, and the hunchback is left with two lasers. This also includes mechs where their main weaponry is located on a very easy to shoot off arm, like the Yen lo wang. Large sized target, low armor, AC20 with only two med lasers as a backup, recipie for disaster.

Missle tube size

Missle tube size is really important because you want as many missles to be fired at the same time as possible. A LRM 20 fired from a 5 shot tube is 4 times as easy to take down via AMS. A SRM-6 fired from a 2 shot tube takes 3 times as long to fire, which can easily cause you to miss the follow up shots. If you are planning to use a mech with missles, make sure that all your missles can be fired at once.

Warning! Missle tube size is NOT showed when viewing a mech for purchase. This is why using a mechlab is critical. This is one of the things that PGI refuses to add into the client for some reason.

Weapon firing positions

The firing positions of hardpoints also make a big difference. The jagermech's weapons are mounted in the arms....which allows a very large range of aiming. You can stand on a cliff edge and fire at a steep angle while the enemies below are unable to hit you with their torso mounted weapons because they can't aim high enough.

The low mounted weapons on an Atlas, combined with the height of the mech, allows enemies to shoot you while you are unable to fire back....because your weapons are blocked by terrain.

Here's an example :

Posted Image

This happens a LOT in an Atlas. A jagermech could hide behind that rock, and snipe over it with his high mounted weapons....and your low mounted weapons wouldnt be able to hit him! Another fine example of PGI balancing.

Another fine example : The HBK-4G with 3 ballistic hardpoints....in the same shoulder....on a 50 ton mech....what are you supposed to put there, 3 machine guns? 3 AC2s? This question was asked a LOT in the beta and PGI refused to answer. Which is why you don't see competitive use of the HBK-4G.

Size of the CT

Most players are going to aim at your CT. Coring it is often the fastest way to kill a mech, and it is conveniently the largest target. The problem is that on some mechs, the CT is xbox huge.

Take a look at the Dragon :

Posted Image

The Dragon was one of the first mechs in the beta and it's huge CT, combined with nonsensical hardpoints, made it very unpopular. It was and still is one of the easiest mechs to kill. Nowadays the only dragons you see are often trial dragons, or people grinding c-bills in a hero variant.

Other mechs with huge CTs : The Catapault and Stalker.

Cockpit location

This normally would not matter as the poor netcode, lack of any working lag compensation in a 2013-2014 online game and hit registration bugs pretty much guarantee that nobody will be able to hit your cockpit anyway. The other day i had to kill a tker who was standing still 50 meters away from me slowly stripping my weapons off...it took more than 18 med lasers aimed at his cockpit to headshot him, because most of my damage was mysteriously going to all three torso locations and not just his cockpit. This problem has existed since closed beta, 1.5 years ago, when testers noticed that they couldnt accurately hit cockpits of AFK mechs. I wouldn't expect a fix at this point.

Location of the cockpit is important for two things : Blinding by weapons fire and cockpit shake. Let's look at a mech where the cockpit is conveniently located smack dab in the CT, the catapault.

Posted Image

As you can see, any shots aimed at the CT will inevitably splash onto the cockpit. Even if there is no damage to the cockpit itself, the pilot will be blinded by the weapons fire and he will experience a ton of cockpit shake. Trying to shoot in a mech like this while your screen is filled with black smoke from chain firing ACs combined with an earthquake simulator is not going to be effective. PGI never bothered to test this apparently.

Avoid all mechs with cockpits in their CT, at all costs.

Other mechs with CT cockpits : Atlas (most of the head is actually the CT and easy to hit) and Cataphract.

An example of how easy it is to blind certain mechs simply by shooting the CT (in this case, the Atlas) :

Posted Image

Jump Jets

Jump jets are important for mobility since your mech will get stuck on the smallest of obstacles without them, as well as being royally screwed in the canyon map. Unfortunately not all mechs can mount jump jets....and not all mechs have the same effective with JJs.

How JJs work is that every weight class has their own specific class of JJs. They generate different thrusts, and how heavy the mech is affects how far you can jump. What this means is that mechs at the upper end of a weight range are going to be penalized....a shadowhawk (55 tons) jumps a LOT less than a quickdraw (60 tons). Take this into account when choosing a mech with JJs. Li Song's mechlab is the only mechlab program i know of that includes JJ distance.

Max engine size

Aside from the fact that your engine size affects your speed, every 25 points of engine size gives you one additional engine slot for heat sinks. Unfortunately some mechs have very small engine limits. The BJ-1 is limited to a size 235, which not only limits it to the slow (for a 45 tonner) speed of 84 kph, but also prevents it from using a size 250 engine to get an extra engine heat sink. Conveniently, there is no way to see the max engine rating/speed ingame before buying a mech.

Keep in mind that you generally need to go very fast to be immune to most weapons fire, which requires a light mech. Going 100 kph in a medium still renders you easy to hit. This is part of the reason why fast heavies like the Dragon have very low survivability in MWO, compared to the TT.

Variants

You will probably find one variant that you like. The problem : the rest of the variants suck and you don't want to use them. The bigger problem : you are forced to in order to get elite efficiencies. It's going to be one painful grind, and that's something you need to take into account when picking a mech...you might want to choose another mech with better variants instead, but still similar to the loadout you are aiming for.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 08 May 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#2 Kilrein

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Nice write up. A little harsh in some cases but captures the basic essence of the game for new players.

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Excellent post OP!

I like how you've spent a lot of time explaining WHY bad 'mechs are bad, rather than just briefly touching on it. It might avoid much of the backlash.

You might want to consider a small section on why 'mechs that have arms that aren't required can be good too (like the Cent), because of the extra dead-weight crit space you don't need to spend much armor on. But that's a minor suggestion on a great post.

#4 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Avoid the Cataphract at all costs?

#5 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

I used to use a cataphract and it was very easy to disable me just by chainfiring weapons at my CT. Should have taken a video of just how ridiculous it was, you couldnt see anything, just black smoke.

Went to a thunderbolt/shadowhawk which has a head mounted cockpit and the only time i get blinded by weapons fire is from chain firing LRMs, which are very easy to neutralize (AMS, ECM, moving behind a rock and laughing as the LRMs do nothing)

#6 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postmikelovskij, on 28 December 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

Avoid the Cataphract at all costs?

How did you get to that conclusion? It does have a bit of a wider CT (and is a drawback) but it's offset by jump capability and great hard points.

You'll be hard pressed to find 'mechs without one or two flaws.* It's just you need to find ones with enough up-sides to counter them.

* For a light I can't think of many flaws with the Jenner.

#7 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 28 December 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

How did you get to that conclusion? It does have a bit of a wider CT (and is a drawback) but it's offset by jump capability and great hard points.

You'll be hard pressed to find 'mechs without one or two flaws.* It's just you need to find ones with enough up-sides to counter them.

* For a light I can't think of many flaws with the Jenner.

Yea, I know cataphracts are good (even if i haven't still tried one).I was just pointing that the part of the OP post which is saying:
"Avoid all mechs with cockpits in their CT, at all costs.

Other mechs with CT cockpits : Atlas (most of the head is actually the CT and easy to hit) and Cataphract."
could be misunderstood.

#8 Morticoccus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

I picked my first mech because it's always been my favorite one in the MechCommander series.

Because I always love the idea of playing support, I picked the ECM equipped, BAP packing NARC and TAG toting Raven 3L. It took a while to earn up enough CBills to get it, during which I used the Spider since it was the trial mech for this week.

Was this a good choice?

I mean, the first thing I did was strip out the C.A.S.E since the Raven is rocking an XL engine anyway, ammo explosions is going to take it apart regardless, with that I also removed one ton of NARC ammo and replaced the 1.5 tons I saved up with a missile defense turret and a ton of ammo for it.

After playing for a few matches I notice that in comparison to a Spider, the Raven lacks jump jets completely, and its legs are very easily destroyed. Since it is the most expensive stock light mech, and ECM enabled, that usually makes me a huge target every time I'm not in cover. And the light armor over a huge fragile engine makes any firefight a risky proposition.

Still, people seem to assume that even though everything about my mech concerns long range target acquisition and ECM, I should still run ahead and scout, this has lead to me dying multiple times, as where the Spider can easily dart around clumsy laser cannon shots and even evade the brunt of LRM strikes, the Raven takes horrible amounts of crippling damage from everything.

Should I somehow learn to overcome this through evasion or should I try to stick back and shield my teammates with ECM and only engage to tag or cripple weakened mechs when in a high cover environment?

Also thinking of buying a second light mech and mounting an ECM suite on a Spider, just for the increase in speed and jumpjets. Although I'm thinking that since the Raven is such an iconic ECM carrier, it should be best for the job?

#9 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Huh on the Cataphract quote. Yeah, I don't know why he'd be saying that - the Phract head isn't in anyway particularly bad to hit, even if the model is large. The actual hitbox is kinda tiny. It's sure no Catapult for weakness, and honestly after the 20% reduction, neither is the Catapult.

@mort: Hey man, I just replied in the LRM thread along a similar line, but long story short with your Raven 3L for a long time fell out of favor to the Spider and other designs, lacking jump jets and being an inferior light vs light fighter to the Jenner. In fact it's really been a bum 'mech for months.

But a new niche has appeared, and it's very popular in Skirmish: 2 ER Large Lasers with ECM. What you want to do is run around the main body of your force utilizing the ECM and your size/speed to just keep fading in and out and constantly capping off with those lasers.

Not only are you providing team ECM, but you are able to get huge damage if you focus on heavies/assaults - I've seen a few experts in this style rack up over 1,000 points pretty consistently, but again, they really practiced this type of play heavily.

It's a bit of an "advanced" play style and requires you both stay moving, and stay fading, and also focus on engaging larger targets rather than going for other lights as a priority. But it can really benefit the team a ton from both the ECM protection and that constant non-stop fire support.

Give it a shot. It might take a little practicing to get used to it, but you could have done far worse for a 'mech pick.

PS: If you want a great all-around non-ECM light, also pick up the Jenner. The Spider makes for a great ECM carrier due to it's jump jets if you're more interested in the capping/flanking/anti-light aspects.

#10 Morticoccus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 29 December 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Huh on the Cataphract quote. Yeah, I don't know why he'd be saying that - the Phract head isn't in anyway particularly bad to hit, even if the model is large. The actual hitbox is kinda tiny. It's sure no Catapult for weakness, and honestly after the 20% reduction, neither is the Catapult.

@mort: Hey man, I just replied in the LRM thread along a similar line, but long story short with your Raven 3L for a long time fell out of favor to the Spider and other designs, lacking jump jets and being an inferior light vs light fighter to the Jenner. In fact it's really been a bum 'mech for months.

But a new niche has appeared, and it's very popular in Skirmish: 2 ER Large Lasers with ECM. What you want to do is run around the main body of your force utilizing the ECM and your size/speed to just keep fading in and out and constantly capping off with those lasers.

Not only are you providing team ECM, but you are able to get huge damage if you focus on heavies/assaults - I've seen a few experts in this style rack up over 1,000 points pretty consistently, but again, they really practiced this type of play heavily.

It's a bit of an "advanced" play style and requires you both stay moving, and stay fading, and also focus on engaging larger targets rather than going for other lights as a priority. But it can really benefit the team a ton from both the ECM protection and that constant non-stop fire support.

Give it a shot. It might take a little practicing to get used to it, but you could have done far worse for a 'mech pick.

PS: If you want a great all-around non-ECM light, also pick up the Jenner. The Spider makes for a great ECM carrier due to it's jump jets if you're more interested in the capping/flanking/anti-light aspects.

I did try using two ER large lasers, and sure, they just rip subsystems apart when linked, but to mount them I had to strip all my other weapon systems and targeting modules and even with all that gone and an extra heatsink added, they just heat my mech up like crazy. I get maybe 4 shots off before they overheat, and with heat dissipation as low as it is, I don't see how I could provide "constant" fire support. Should I get rid of the anti missile system and the BAP too?

Edit: I'm going to try removing the missile defense system and go with standard armor and the targeting laser, that way I can paint enemies for my allied LRMs while cooling down my main guns, and my legs should be harder to shoot off.

Edited by Morticoccus, 29 December 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#11 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

you can still go with 2 er large with near max armor using FF, endo-steel and double heat sinks. 250xl + 1 dhs and keep ecm, bap will work. Top speed will be lower @ 117 or 127 with speed tweak so you'll need to watch out for lights or light hunters.

Edit:
Comes with better heat efficiency than my current build.

Edited by dragnier1, 29 December 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#12 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Dont try a cataphract unless you enjoy being blinded by weapons fire, or you want to go for the quad AC5 FOTM build.

Not much you can do with the raven sadly. You can either hang back with the main blob and go for rear shots or be an inferior scout, your choice.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 31 December 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#13 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Why is this off the front page....

#14 Running Scared

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:11 AM

Wish i saw this earlier. I would never have purchased a Dragon as my first mech. Actually liking my hunchback 4SP much better. It's just as fast without an XL engine, better hard points, slightly smaller. Only drawback is slightly less armor.

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 05 May 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Why is this off the front page....

Because it's old, out of date, and fairly negative in tone.

#16 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

Great post Jun Watarase!

View PostRunning Scared, on 06 May 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

Wish i saw this earlier. I would never have purchased a Dragon as my first mech. Actually liking my hunchback 4SP much better. It's just as fast without an XL engine, better hard points, slightly smaller. Only drawback is slightly less armor.

Well he Jun forgot to mention that SRM's are underpowered right now.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 06 May 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

Because it's old, out of date, and fairly negative in tone.

How is it out of date?
An honest tone isnt a negative one!!

There are too many fan boys this site that new players shouldnt listen to! Jun gives some honesty!

Edited by mogs01gt, 06 May 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#17 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostRunning Scared, on 06 May 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

If you like the 4sp i suggest you give the TDR-9SE a go, at least until weight class restrictions are in. You can mount a similar build but have more armor, heatsinks and JJs.

#18 Pekiti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

While I disagree with a few things in the OP, there is a lot of good info there and worth considering. I only wish the OP had a list of 'suggested' mechs/builds at the end. Having explained a long list of Bad Things™ in many mechs, providing a list of Good Options would end the guide on a positive note and actually steer new players towards success - instead of just warning them of many ways they can 'choose poorly'.

#19 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

I would rather not have newbies picking a PPC/AC poptart...and the point was to give them guidelines to pick a decent first mech, so they could learn to do it themselves instead of blindly following a recommendation.

#20 Chive On

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLittle Gasparilla island

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

I have yet to choose my first mech, but have spent weeks researching through the forum boards.

I have chosen to defy the poptart meta and play something fun, but can't decide between the ECM spider or ECM Raven.
I've played Battletech for over twenty years, and have played all the video games that have come out for BT.

That being said, I really want to make a great first choice, thanx for the article Jun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users