Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Protector sux. Don't waste MC.

#2 Tundara

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Odd, it's my best mech. I love the thing. Cruising around at 71kph. An AC20, 2 SRM6s with Artemis fire-control systems, and a pair of medium lasers, all making mulch out of pretty much anything I come across. I have over 100 drops in it (that's a lot for me, I switch chasis regularly), with 2.11 KDR. The Protector is a good mech, in my opinion.

#3 Varent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

The ilya obviously sucks, it cant run over 200kph and does not have ecm nor a tactical nuke. It also does not instantly win the match. We should all ***** about it.

#4 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

I agree that the OP could explain a little bit his post.. the only thing I know is that I bought only one Orion (the VA) and I sold it as soon as I painfully reached basics for it.. and never bought any other variant, nor I plan to ever adventure again into any of those things. Even with the adjusted hitboxes.

So yes, I advice as well to anyone who asks to never buy a Protector if they want an hero mech. There are fairly more better choices than it, speaking about heavies, the Ilya is by far superior, although I've quitted using it due to the lack of JJs.

#5 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's the only Orion with a (relatively) high mounted torso energy hard point. It can accommodate energy builds, ballistics builds, missile builds, or or just about any combination of the above. And it's got a 30% C-Bill perk.

With the recent hit box improvements, all the Orions are more durable. Seriously, what's not to love?

#6 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Xeven I know how much u like the Protector so I made this Franken-build for you

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0548285bba02afd

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Had the OP mentioned the PB, I would have entertain that comment.

Poor Pretty Baby.

#8 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostXeven, on 28 December 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Protector sux. Don't waste MC.

This study is flawless with a comprehensive understanding of the issues, how could we possibly consider any other conclusion?

#9 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 28 December 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

I agree that the OP could explain a little bit his post.. the only thing I know is that I bought only one Orion (the VA) and I sold it as soon as I painfully reached basics for it.. and never bought any other variant, nor I plan to ever adventure again into any of those things. Even with the adjusted hitboxes.

So yes, I advice as well to anyone who asks to never buy a Protector if they want an hero mech. There are fairly more better choices than it, speaking about heavies, the Ilya is by far superior, although I've quitted using it due to the lack of JJs.

I don't have the Protector, so I can't comment on it's specific qualities. But I did feel exactly the same as you... at first.

I bought 3 Orions (so I could Master) and hated all 3 of them. They were horrid mechs with hard-points placed too low to be useful without JJs. They were mini-Atlases, with all the downsides, but not the armor or firepower.

By the time I'd gotten them all Basics, I'd begun to feel differently. By the time I'd gotten them all Elited, I'd begun to seriously enjoy them. By the time I'd gotten them all Mastered, all 3 variants were some of my most successful and favorite in the game.

That's a big part of why I disagree with people that cry about the 3 variants for Elite. Instead of making it easy for people to simply jump on the FOTM bandwagon, the system forces them to try things they often find themselves enjoying.

#10 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Sorry but no it doesn't, L2P

#11 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Why the hate for the littlest Atlas?

#12 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

I like it; have had it for months. Just tried out a kind-of-sort-of Marauder analog today — twin PPCs, Ultra AC, SRM-6. Lots of fun.

#13 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

realistically almost every mech outside the highlander 733C kinda sucks right now ;)

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

I would trade you for my ilya lol

#15 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 28 December 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

I would trade you for my ilya lol
SHAME ON YOU!

Ilya Dakkamets does not deserve such treachery!

#16 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

Don't own it.

Honestly I would buy one, but I just can't seem to find a build I really like for it. I like the VA, V, and K and have rather unique (meaning the only chassis/variant that can run it...or runs that build the best) builds for them, but the protector just seems like a lesser orion that "can" do things but doesn't really excell in that role or provide uniqueness.

I wouldn't however say "it sucks". Just for a c-bill bonus mech, I still prefer the old boring Ilya, which provides quite a few fun, unique, and "best" builds.

Edited by Mr 144, 28 December 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#17 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

It is the best brawler I have at the moment, out of my 65 mechs. It is an absolute beast when you master its hitboxes and you're good at brawling.

If you expect to stick 2PPC+2AC5's in it and do good, don't even bother buying it.

Edited by Tahribator, 29 December 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#18 kaffeangst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

Actually, I know a couple guys with Protectors who happen to run 2x PPC's and 2x AC/5's and they frequently do 1000+ damage... so it's down to the pilot.

#19 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostVarent, on 28 December 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

The ilya obviously sucks, it cant run over 200kph and does not have ecm nor a tactical nuke. It also does not instantly win the match. We should all ***** about it.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

The Protector sucks because you don't have a good build for it/can't pilot it correctly. It's got one of my highest KDR's, and regularly hits +500 damage a match.

Ac20, ERPPC, 2x Mlas, STD295. Beast of a mech.

#20 Elistaire Drummond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGermany/Hessen/Odenwald

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well, I have not bought it yet. And that is because I don´t like it´s colours... and not because it´s a "bad" mech. MWO has some flaws, but one good thing is, that the performance of the mech is strongly tied to the skills and preferences of it´s pilot. Heck, I even like my Locust!

So choose a mech for your style!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users