New Gaming Rig?

32 replies to this topic

#21 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the help. Anyone have any idea what sort of fps I would get on the other games I mentioned? I will most likely go with this build, but I am waiting until the steam box specs and prices are announced, might just boot that with windows?

#22 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

We have no idea what Star Citizen is going to behave like. Right now, the Hangar Module runs at fairly high fps (not far under 60) on "high" on a 7970, which I believe has about 50% performance or so on your card (the 270 is basically a 7870, right?). So under the assumption that a 7970 gets 50fps, and that performance difference is in the right ballpark, you should be able to get 30fps on high, which means maybe high 40s or low 50s on medium, again, in the hangar module. All told, that's pretty good, especially if the game performs better down the road with some real optimization. I expect you'll be able to basically max out Hawken without a problem, and Minecraft shouldn't pose any real problems unless someone sets off a red matter bomb under ground and no one finds it for an hour or something.

OCing the 6350, if that's what you're getting, will help in all cases, and will get you in pretty good shape for some years to come.

If you get the i5, same as above, basically. In most games, the two CPUs will show no difference from each other, especially once some basic OCing is figured in.

Also, since you mentioned it, don't be afraid to OC. CPUs are not failure prone unless you get ridiculous with voltage. I push hardware a lot, and I've had almost every component fail so far, RAM, Mobo, GPU, Hard drives, you name it, but I have never had or seen a CPU fail that wasn't DOA right out of the box. If you're squeamish, just stick to stock voltage or slightly above, push the chip as far as it will go on that until Prime95 causes crashes, and leave it there. It will not damage anything. Many forums suggest you can get most 6350s to 4.5ghz at 1.45v or sometimes even lower. Stock is 1.425. <2% voltage increases will not harm your chip, and those are the speeds at which that chip will really shine, especially for the price. Even if you don't reach that speed, anywhere in the low-mid 4 range is still good.

Edited by Catamount, 01 January 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#23 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Cata, you had luck that you haven't seen a CPU die yet. :rolleyes: I had several who failed me or others in the past years. Some overclocked others on stock clocking.

Two of them went in such a ridiculous way, that it took me and a DELL technician (and a few of his colleagues via phone) a whole day to diagnose the CPUs as the faulty part. On a Friday, when I wanted to go home at 12:00 for an early weekend, but had to stay till 17:00, when we finally found the culprits (it was the PC of my boss and the replacement). Until then we completly dismantled three PCs, exchanged the mainboards, RAM, GPU, harddrives, fans, PSUs and whatever else we could get our hands on, but somehow always worked with the same two CPUs.

The systems booted up just fine, until the BIOS handed the system over to the OS. That's when it suddenly shut down. Well... in two out of three cases. One third of the test runs resulted in a stable system. I knew it wasn't stable, that's why I called DELL in the first place, it would shut down after an hour max.

The first system worked fine for more then a year before it showed strange behavior. The System I replaced the original one with showed the same behavior after a week. DELLs technical hotline thought this might be the mainboard on both systems, as they had some similar reports for that specific model, were that was the case. So the tech guy came with two replacement mainboards, friday morning at 08:00, thinking he'd be gone by 10:00 latest.

We never found out, what caused the defect but after the CPUs were exchanged (I recieved them as spare parts and because the tech by then knew I can do the repair alone, DELL didn't send him again to mount them), both systems ran stable for a few more years.

So, never rule out a component as defective, no matter how unlikely! ;)

#24 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

You're going to scare the new guy away from overclocking! :lol:

Yes, it's technically possible for a CPU to fail, but the risk there is at least an order of magnitude lower than almost any other component, save maybe your case fans, and OCing does not tend to significantly increase that risk, since killing something with a multidecadal lifespan slightly sooner doesn't matter.

Edited by Catamount, 02 January 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#25 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Yeeeeah, about that …

#26 Shadelen

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

If it helps I Run an I5 2500 Sandybridge and I am running consistently 45-55 frames and not over clocking of course.
Run a AMD 6870 2gb card. Hope you find what you want!

#27 audi man

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Just another couple of comparisons,

I usually play on my home PC which is getting on a bit, a Phenom II x6 (1055T) @ 2.8 GhZ with 8gb ram and using a 650Ti boost (2gb) video card.

At stock clocks I see anywhere up to 60fps on 'clear' maps with a limited FOV (looking at the ground) which drops to as low as 20fps when the action is happenning (worst case really). This is with medium or high settings, it doesnt make much difference at all.

This was exactly the same with my old GTX650, but that degraded a little further on higher settings.

However, I recently tried a mild OC on the phenom up to 3GhZ and I saw a 10FPS improvement accross the board. I was amazed. Unfortuantely I couldnt keep it there as I saw 70C core temps aswell, but I have a new case on the way to re-build my system into, and coupled with a new CPU cooler I should be able to OC to 3.2, 3.5 I hope.

Just goes to show how CPU intensive MWO really is!.

Further comparison, I can play MWO on my work laptop (Toshiba Satellite L750, core i72670QM @2.2 GhZ, 8gb ram, GT525M GPU) on lowest settings at 1280x720 res at 40fps all day long :-P

Edited by gldgti, 02 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#28 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostGoose, on 02 January 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yeeeeah, about that …

Notice they even didn't mention CPU failure as a serious risk. Even what they do mention isn't so much a risk as a "this is why you stability test". There really are no risks to overclocking, unless you're worried about being psychologically scarred by the BSOD.

#29 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I think we should go straight to the source to ask about this one. Intel, what do *YOU* say?? Is overclocking risky or dangerous???

Edited by Sen, 02 January 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#30 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

;) :) ;) ;)

How did I never know about this?! Thank you, Sen

#31 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostShadelen, on 02 January 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

If it helps I Run an I5 2500 Sandybridge and I am running consistently 45-55 frames and not over clocking of course.
Run a AMD 6870 2gb card. Hope you find what you want!

I run basically the same setup, i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz and a HD 6850 @ 900/1150 and have no problems running the game on medium settings at 1080p. If I bump the resolution down to 720p I can run everything on high with no problems. Very nice video Sen hehehe ;).

#32 Shadelen

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostLusankya, on 03 January 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

I run basically the same setup, i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz and a HD 6850 @ 900/1150 and have no problems running the game on medium settings at 1080p. If I bump the resolution down to 720p I can run everything on high with no problems. Very nice video Sen hehehe ;).

Go back to my original post I run 55 almost consistently and run everything max. but also forgot to mention 12 gb of ram is really too much for anyone. You can make over clocking easy but doesn't mean you always should.

#33 Matadrum The Great RKO

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostShadelen, on 05 January 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Go back to my original post I run 55 almost consistently and run everything max. but also forgot to mention 12 gb of ram is really too much for anyone. You can make over clocking easy but doesn't mean you always should.

Just for another comparison; My rig at the moment runs an AMD FX6300 at normal clock with an MSI GTX760 2GB and 8GB Ram. It'll run MWO on highest no worries at ~65FPS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users