Battlemech Construction Sets

9 replies to this topic

#1 TheTeacher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hey all....I came across these on eBay and was curious if anyone here had first hand experience with them? Scale wise...do they fit in with the Armorcast stuff well? Would they work for large scale gaming? How much building is involved?

Thanks for thoughts and opinions....

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ace1f5634

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ace1f5c81

#2 Frozen Spirit Jac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

If you are Patient, I am sure there a few people out there who will come up with a better design and print it off with a 3D printer. I have a vulture in which I just need time to paint.

Here is a link to one person who makes designs and sells them as a kit, where you have to paint them and assemble them.

http://www.battlemec...logspot.com.au/

#3 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostFrozen Spirit Jac, on 01 January 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

If you are Patient, I am sure there a few people out there who will come up with a better design and print it off with a 3D printer. I have a vulture in which I just need time to paint.

Here is a link to one person who makes designs and sells them as a kit, where you have to paint them and assemble them.

http://www.battlemec...logspot.com.au/

you realise you just linked him to his own site right? :D

#4 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationBehind enemy lines

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

I happen to own both. I bought the Jupiter kit when it was released over a decade ago (wow!), and acquired the prebuilt Spirit Cats version of the Mad Cat last year for a massive steal. Both are currently on my projects table covered in primer. The kits you are looking at are pre-painted and pre-decaled to represent the Dragon's Fury (Jupiter - primarily gray with some red parts) and Steel Wolves (Mad Cat - mostly brown with some silver) militias of the Dark Age period.

There were four 'Mechs in that lineup released built and unbuilt in a variety of color schemes - Mad Cat came in two different Steel Wolves colors, as well as Spirit Cats and Wolf Dragoons. Jupiter came in two different Dragon's Fury schemes, as well as Bannson's Raiders. The Forestry 'Mech came in two different Steel Wolves colors, and finally the Legionnaire which was wearing Swordsworn liveries (two versions).

Articulation is all right (Mad Cat is the worst of the bunch), seam lines are very obvious, and sculpts could have been more refined overall. That said, they are fun static display objects - each is nominally 1/55 (though the pilots they come with are 1/72) which makes them 8-10" tall, which does roughly fit into Armorcast scale. These are geared towards kids - easily assembly with screws (screwdriver included), pre-painted, big parts, durable (and heavy - they're about 1/3rd diecast!). Just the novelty of owning such a big 'Mech model is good enough for me.

Both kits are pictured to the left in this image:
Posted Image

Keep in mind the 'Cat in this pic is the exclusive Wolf Dragoons "Battle Damaged" version which has autocannons in the arms instead of lasers. Yes, the upper arms look like that regardless of which version you by.

They have become collector's items - from all the auctions I've seen $80 is actually pretty reasonable. MSRP was about $25 back in the day (and I managed to get my Mad Cat for just $30).

Edited by ValdnadHartagga, 01 January 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#5 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

That is an excellent reference photo, thanx for that. I had often wondered whether the Madcat would be worth it because I picked up the Jupiter some time ago for $20 but felt I overpaid when I got it.

#6 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationBehind enemy lines

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

It's always bothered me that the Jupe is so small in this line, although across the board it does seem to be represented as being small (MWDA, CBT mini). Most compact hundred-tonner ever!

#7 TheTeacher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Great reference...and the Jupiter does seem a bit small. The (not pictured) Legionnaire looks right for a 50 tonner.

#8 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

I have the Joyride Timberwolf. If you want a photo, let me know. It is custom painted ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users