#62 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostAlreech, on 18 August 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Did you ever played Elite II Frontier ? or Frontiers First Encounters ?

That was true newtonian style, with no speed cap. But try to fight with 5000 km/s, even with a Laser it's difficult to hit an other ship what is passing by with 5000 km/s.

The special thing concerning Elite Dangerous is the classic Elite style.
The classic Ships from Elite (Cobra, Anaconda, Viper...) and from Froniter (Eagle), the classic D20 Orbitbase, and the classic dogfights of Elite - with the possibility to switch of flight assistant and use newtonian style flight (without flying 5000 km/s).

Also nice are the future plans with real systems (more than one planet per system) and planetary landings.
It was in Elite II Frontier & Frontier First Encounters possible to land on planetary space ports or to land on uninhibited planets to deploy mining machines.
It was not necessary to land on a planet, but it was possible to make a higher profit or to get a better mission on a planet, because missions and special requests were different on every station - even in the same system.

The big systems of the Frontier Games gave the player a real feeling for the vastness of space. Even with a fast Ship and a high time compression it took minutes to travel from Titan to Mercury, minutes in which the other planets of the Sol system pass by - first as small point, than as big sphere.
The Supercruise of Elite Dangerous allows the same flight experience as the old time compression.

try traveling in Evochron mercenaries to Andromeda. ;)

#63 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 May 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Noticed a few things.

One, I absolutely adore the artistic direction. The cockpit interface, the color scheme, the fact that lasers shoot in beams instead of stupid slow-moving lightballs...jeez, it's like what MWO could have been...but in space.

However, I'm not fond of the fact that the flight model is basically in-atmosphere flight without gravity. I have a feeling that the reason Star Citizen's dogfight module is taking so long is probably because they're trying to figure out how to properly conduct between servers and users, and their flight model involves like 25 different vectors happening at the same time PER SHIP.

(and as we all probably know by now, CryEngine is not exactly very supportive in the netcode department....)

Anyway, I feel like the kinda-success of E:D is caused by the absolute drought in this genre, as well as the fact that SC is not coming anytime soon...and X: Rebirth's abysmal launch. But SC and EVE Valkyrie are two giant approaching sharks in the water.

As far as I'm aware, you can turn off the atmospheric physics thing if you want.

#64 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Ship ware and tear:

Posted Image

Also Alliance and Elite decals. It would be sweet if we could finally get decals in MWO.

#65 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition Pre-order Digital Bonus

We are announcing today that the price of the final release of Elite: Dangerous will be £39.99 ($59.99 and €49.99).

We are also announcing a special pre-order digital pack, the Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition, which is a bonus pre-order game collection loaded with digital extras.

The pack is available on our store today for new customers at a discounted price off the final release of £35.00 ($50 and €40) plus the addition of the Mercenary Pack extras. Anyone who has already pre-ordered the final release version of Elite: Dangerous (including of course Alpha, Premium Beta and Beta participants) will also receive the bonus pre-order collection when the game is released.

As well as a digital download copy of the game, the pack will contain:

- An additional Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location
- Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
- A day one ship decal
- A digital players guide
- A digital concept art book
- Plus additional in-game benefits and other digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks

Posted Image

#66 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Screw it. Pre-ordered.

#67 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

I love these vids by Isinona:

Sidewinder vs Anaconda

Beta 2 Is on for the 30th September B)

#68 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostRoburn Bliss, on 24 September 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I love these vids by Isinona:

Sidewinder vs Anaconda

Beta 2 Is on for the 30th September B)

I left a *smart* comment down below... :ph34r:

#69 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

Beta 2 is out. Patch notes:

http://forums.fronti...ead.php?t=43776

I think this patch contains more changes than most MWO patches combined :o

#70 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostRoburn Bliss, on 30 September 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Beta 2 is out. Patch notes:

http://forums.fronti...ead.php?t=43776

I think this patch contains more changes than most MWO patches combined :o

And E:D don't get patches every other week, either. Unless I'm wrong.

#71 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

An up coming Imperial ship design, looks quite nice:

Posted Image

A video of the latest ship; the Asp Explorer (featuring some sweet planetary rings and ambient music):

#72 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

There are some very talented people in the Elite community:

#73 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

This is a fairly long one (10 minutes-ish), but if you loved Blade Runner and enjoy seeing things explode, I think you'll like it!

Also, here's one from astronomer Scott Manley where he plays explorer and goes to check if Elite's claim to a 1:1 representation of the Milky Way holds true:

Also note the new UI "flicker" effects that were introduced with Beta 2.00. I really love them as it kind of reminds me of the old Alien movies!

[edit]

Okay, one more, this time also showing the Hauler and some country music. :D

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 13 October 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#74 Thjan

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostSerial Peacemaker, on 26 August 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

As far as I'm aware, you can turn off the atmospheric physics thing if you want.

This is not correct. You can turn of the assist computer who helps in controlling the ship. Even without flight assist you are still bound to the hard caps of turn rate, max acceleration and the oddity that you have a optimum turn rate at a certain speed level.
Even Insonia says that you do not have a real advantage turning flight assist off. It's mainly for immersion I guess.

#75 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

I dunno - with FA On you can only shoot an opponent if your flight trajectory is crossing the other ship's path (=classic aircraft dogfight), whilst FA Off would allow you to pass a target on either side whilst maintaining weapons fire at all times. An example could also be a Cobra that stays below another ship's belly (or similar blind spots, depending on the type), attempting to copy every manoeuver whilst keeping its guns pointed at it... See the Hauler/Viper vid posted above for some examples.

Or how about boosting away from an enemy, then turning around to shoot them whilst keeping escape trajectory? Sure, you could also hit the reverse, but that definitively won't be as quick (as your ship would have to slow down first).

Though these are admittedly very situational stunts that (thanks to the caps) tend to bring only a minor advantage - if at all. I would agree that its main use for me personally is the added immersion that comes with a slow spin whilst orbiting another world, or trying to match a station's rotation without keeping thrusters active at all times.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 14 October 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#76 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

On a somewhat unrelated note, I hate games that portray shields like some kind of solid barrier. From a physics &mathematics perspective the shield being modeled here is a discontinuous, asymptopic function of force. It is mathematically ugly and unpleasant to mathematicians and physicists and doesn't exist in real life. Idealy to me a force field or shield should be a continuous function of force with relation to distance that could be clamped at a max distance. Something like F=1/(r^2) which pushes things away with a stronger force the closer you are to the source. This way this "real-life" force field would push bullets away from the ship rather than stop them like a brick wall (mathematically disgusting). All the north american sci-fi media I have seen have depicted shields like brick walls, but the Japanese on the other hand, being much better educated in math and physics than North Americans and English speaking culture in general, have depicted force fields as being mathematically elegant continuous functions in Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Banner of the Stars saga (and probably other shows too).

#77 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostSilicon Life, on 14 October 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

On a somewhat unrelated note, I hate games that portray shields like some kind of solid barrier. From a physics &mathematics perspective the shield being modeled here is a discontinuous, asymptopic function of force. It is mathematically ugly and unpleasant to mathematicians and physicists and doesn't exist in real life. Idealy to me a force field or shield should be a continuous function of force with relation to distance that could be clamped at a max distance. Something like F=1/(r^2) which pushes things away with a stronger force the closer you are to the source. This way this "real-life" force field would push bullets away from the ship rather than stop them like a brick wall (mathematically disgusting). All the north american sci-fi media I have seen have depicted shields like brick walls, but the Japanese on the other hand, being much better educated in math and physics than North Americans and English speaking culture in general, have depicted force fields as being mathematically elegant continuous functions in Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Banner of the Stars saga (and probably other shows too).

And this is why people should never confuse reality with fun.

#78 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 October 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

And this is why people should never confuse reality with fun.

I'm not saying the shields make the game less fun. I'm saying it could be mathematically elegant and fun :)

#79 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

You obviously have never seen any of the shows I've mentioned and don't know that the force fields portrayed in them look way cooler than brick wall force fields with glowing blue transparent textures to make it look cool in a 12 year old's eyes.

#80 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostSilicon Life, on 14 October 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

I'm not saying the shields make the game less fun. I'm saying it could be mathematically elegant and fun :)

There could be ways to implement this via through-shield criticals, or damage reduction. But on a gameplay level, having a resource that you have to manage (power to shields for example) provides a lot more opportunities for trade offs than a blanket % damage reduction.

Of course, the damage reduction could also be dynamic depending on how you power your shields, but then combat becomes pretty RNG based, where you are in a war of attrition hoping to not lose a critical component early in the fight.

Eh. It could go either way. I think brick wall shields are plenty cool and don't interfere with my mathemagical sensibilities at all. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users