Mechwarrior: A Blood Moon Rises

57 replies to this topic

#21 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

View PostKatus, on 04 January 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

PGI, Gimme my Marauder NOW!! This might convince me to spend money on this game prior to a bug free UI 2.0 and CW.

Unfortunately, the Marauder is amongst the Unseen or Reseen 'Mechs, Copyright won't allow PGI to introduce it ^_^

#22 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostGlycerineOxide, on 12 January 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

Unfortunately, the Marauder is amongst the Unseen or Reseen 'Mechs, Copyright won't allow PGI to introduce it B)

sadly not, they even specifically said so in their new dev vlog that they won't touch the Harmony Gold mechs.
Still though that doesn't mean i cant play with it ^_^

#23 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Alright i'm as good as done with the script (got some nice surprises in there so i won't spoil it)
in the meantime i'm nearly done with the marauder's color scheme. once that's done i'm gonna start on weathering etc.
runtime might be extended slightly to 5 minutes. depends on how much fat I can trim from the script and what's feasible to do.

I know you guys would love a much longer video but i don't have a large team willing to put that much effort into it. right now its a passion portfolio piece.

Posted Image
sorry about the boxes around the text. but the renderer was being pain.

#24 audi man

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

This is a fantastic and inspring project - thanks for sharing.

One comment though - the Marauder's walk looks good on flat ground, but its not picking its feet up high enough to walk in the real world without tripping over. Since the toes droop when the foot leaves the ground, its almost draggin its front toes along (almost).

I think if you made it lift a bit higher, it would be even more menacing than it already is :-)

Edited by gldgti, 12 January 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#25 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Nice work! Some feedback?

The torso may be moving a bit too much. A weapons platform is going to want a stable platform to fire from, and just imagine the poor pilot in there trying to chase after something at top speed. It'll shake his fillings out!

Something like that? Then again, that may not work under your "cool looking but not necessarily realistic" criteria, so maybe just ignore my post. ;)

#26 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

sweet looking marauder!

#27 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostHeffay, on 14 January 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Nice work! Some feedback?

The torso may be moving a bit too much. A weapons platform is going to want a stable platform to fire from, and just imagine the poor pilot in there trying to chase after something at top speed. It'll shake his fillings out!

Something like that? Then again, that may not work under your "cool looking but not necessarily realistic" criteria, so maybe just ignore my post. :)

y'know i was worried about that initially as well. At first I thought I'd probably have to animate the cockpit scenes seperately from the main body. But then I attached a camera to the test figure i'm using for the pilot and did a little mock city motion test, and... well see for yourself.

Posted Image

it's really not that bad . also the weapons are rigged in such a way that they will always face the target controller. So even though the mech is bobbing heavily the weapons are all right on target.

#28 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Holy smokes, that's sweet looking. I can't wait to see the full-meal deal.

#29 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

did some more texture work. it should be ready to go into source filmmaker soon :mellow:
and then i can start on the warhammer
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sentinel373, 15 January 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#30 PanzerMagier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

I miss my marauder. SIGH

#31 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

here is a little sneak peak of a scene i'm working on.
its the inside of a dropship.

Posted Image

#32 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Love it, keep the updates coming!

#33 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I realize you have to keep things sort of wide, or else certain items in the bay would get in the way of certain other things, but I always picture the bay being a lot smaller. Like any military transport, I always imagine there is very little room to move. Also, you've seen the tie-down loops on all of the 'Mechs, right? Like the Catapult, with the two rings hanging down between its legs? Those are tie-downs, like we use in Army Aviation on the tarmac. I wonder if the frames built around 'Mechs for drops and what-not are ONLY supposed to be for drop security and prep, and when they're not being loaded, or racked for work, the 'Mechs are chained down in their bays, instead?

Just an observation or two.

#34 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Well the way i see it, the mechs are strapped into their bays during takeoff and landing. From what I read in several books. a drop ship entering the atmosphere is a very rough en-devour and it would make sense, at least to me that they are held in place by some sort of harness. So they don't tip over while they are powered down and the ship is shaking profusely.
Personally i don't think straps are enough to keep a 75 ton top heavy mech from falling over in those conditions. Also it looks cooler to just have it release from a harness than to see straps falling loose IMO.

As for the size of the bay. this is the current layout of the mechbay level of the fortress class drop ship i'm using. note this will be the only level I make of the drop ship. since the rest of the interior isn't relevant to the video. as you can see it is alot tighter than it looks in that one pic i showed earlier that's because i set the field of view a lot higher than intended for ease of modeling. also its not done yet there will be quite a few walkways cranes and elevators so once its all done it'll be alot more cramped than it is now. also a fortress is about 30 meters wider than your average union class so i have a bit more playroom.

Posted Image

and before people start throwing the lore book at me about fortress drop ships being very rare and only the biggest merc-corps could afford one. think about this, who said they paid for this one? in my headcanon for the video it is called the Lucid Dawn (there is a shot planned where you will see the nameplate) but y'know ship names are easy to paint over. :)
Note I did a bit of lore checking to make sure this might be plausible :P

Edited by Sentinel373, 18 January 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#35 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Actually, what you have there makes perfect sense, and is tantamount to what I have always envisioned, so very good, indeed.

As for straps, they're not... they would be heavy chains and, trust me, they do very very well to hold things in place, hehe. They are, in effect, a harness, but not a framework. Believe you me, I'm NOT complaining, just recommending. A repair frame/gantry, unless it's immobile and locked in place, is going to be expensive, difficult to repair, and used for maintenance purposes.

Again, I'm not arguing, just recommending possible alternates.

As for people throwing the lore at you... don't worry about that, at all... this effort you're making is amazing, and again I can't wait to see the final product.

#36 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 18 January 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

Actually, what you have there makes perfect sense, and is tantamount to what I have always envisioned, so very good, indeed.

As for straps, they're not... they would be heavy chains and, trust me, they do very very well to hold things in place, hehe. They are, in effect, a harness, but not a framework. Believe you me, I'm NOT complaining, just recommending. A repair frame/gantry, unless it's immobile and locked in place, is going to be expensive, difficult to repair, and used for maintenance purposes.

Again, I'm not arguing, just recommending possible alternates.

As for people throwing the lore at you... don't worry about that, at all... this effort you're making is amazing, and again I can't wait to see the final product.

While I agree that chains could work and look cool it is also a bit of a logistical problem. with this clamp based harness i can just animate it to open and close. but with chains i'd need to do rope/cloth simulation to make it look good for when the mech is released in the video. which in my opinion is allot more work than it's worth imo. still I appreciate the feedback :)

#37 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

I've started doing little destruction simulation tests. here's the result :rolleyes:
should be interesting trying to bake this into formats that SFM can use.
Posted Image

#38 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Avanti's Angels support your dropship head cannon with Head of a Pin. They are a reinforced company and they have a Fortress used as organic support. It is a post Invasion era book so they are still rare. The Fortress makes more sense for a merc or militia unit to me than a House unit. A House can provide better support to a unit than a Fortress could offer though it might be used to anchor a landing zone.

'Mech bays on dropships do double duty as repair gantries so the cradle set up you have looks nice.

In other news tonight's forecast is for a full moon with partly cloudy skies and a chance of "rain". :rolleyes:

#39 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostKING PINEAPYULA, on 04 January 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

After the smoke clears from the destroyed building suddenly Warhammer.

Do something different from the MechWarrior reboot trailer.

#40 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 20 January 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Avanti's Angels support your dropship head cannon with Head of a Pin. They are a reinforced company and they have a Fortress used as organic support. It is a post Invasion era book so they are still rare. The Fortress makes more sense for a merc or militia unit to me than a House unit. A House can provide better support to a unit than a Fortress could offer though it might be used to anchor a landing zone.

'Mech bays on dropships do double duty as repair gantries so the cradle set up you have looks nice.

In other news tonight's forecast is for a full moon with partly cloudy skies and a chance of "rain". :(

Actually what i intended to do was in barely noticeable letters above the name Lucid dawn put, Paymon's Staff

i think that forecast is a little off. its gonna be a thunderstorm and a full moon :rolleyes:

View PostDraconis March, on 20 January 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Do something different from the MechWarrior reboot trailer.

Don't worry i have something much better planned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users