Paging Karl Berg...karl Berg, Please Pick Up The White Courtesy Phone...

1911 replies to this topic

#1541 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 11 September 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

I thought exactly the same, before I took at my stats. It seems I win Conquest 44% more often than Skirmish, therefore I get more C-Bills on average (something around 108K and I don't use premium)

Probably because all the good teams avoid it and it became an easy mode for our regiment.

The thing is, that's per match, not per time - my average income per match is about the same across all modes, but Conquest matches need to go longer to maximize c-bill income. This makes them longer on average, and less efficient at earning c-bills, despite the match rewards being about the same.

Edited by Void Angel, 13 September 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#1542 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

You have it reversed. Conquest gives similar rewards to other modes in short matches. However, it never goes to 15 minutes (even 10 is rare), and the longer a match, the higher your resource reward. The average income per conquest match ends up higher unless you are the type to carry hard every time.

View PostKarl Berg, on 10 September 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

No updates on this as of yet. I would still really love to see this released soon though. :) There's some logistics we need to work out, in terms of patching and content delivery first; but the artists have already done their part.

If only you could do the same with some fancy effects on very high...

#1543 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Most combat-oriented bonuses for Conquest are halved compared to Assault/Skirmish. That means that you must depend on resource collection to make up the difference. A short match in Conquest is usually achieved by murdering the enemy team, or by going for resources while the enemy kills part of your team and ignores the cap points. In either case, you'll often miss out on one or the other class of reward, resulting in lower earnings.

Now, how often this happens - and to what extent - will be shown by match statistics, not theorycrafting. My match times for Conquest are longer on average, regardless of the tendency of Conquest matches to not go the full 15 minutes (although I've had it happen, it is exceedingly rare.) Given that the rewards are statistically about equal, this makes Conquest a poor choice for c-bill production.

If you want to say that your Conquest earnings are different, given your playstyle, play times, and Elo, that's fine - but my analysis of my own stats stands. If you're wanting to know about the overall demographic, well - you'd have to ask Karl Berg.

Edited by Void Angel, 13 September 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#1544 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:04 PM

So, Karl, do you know how Conquest c-bill earnings stack up per time compared to other game modes? :)

#1545 At least I can shoot

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 September 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Karl,

Please provide an option that can be set by the player that if a match isn't found in 3 minutes, instead of being jammed into what will probably be the 'short bus' team, it just reports "no match found".

I'm getting kind of tired of waiting 3 minutes to get jammed into a match, only to find that the rest of my team are piloting trial 'mechs and haven't yet figured out that pulling the trigger and wiggling like mad is NOT an actual 'good' skill.

Or worse, are so anxious to fire their weapons will do it as soon as the match starts, right into the back of the 'mech(s) in front of them.

Please.

Pretty please.

I'd rather search 5 times for a match among my peers, rather than be forced to play with people on my team who haven't yet got the experience to play 'well'.

Also people who team kill should be instabanned.

#1546 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

View PostAt least I can shoot, on 13 September 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

I call for mitigating circumstances on that.

I've TK'd people because they were hell bent and determined to either:

A. Kill me.
B. Damage me to the point of being an easy kill for the enemy.
C. Walked into my line of fire unexpectedly and got hit by a round that WOULD have killed the enemy, if not for bad timing, bad situational awareness, a lack of skill, or malfed up hit detection/HSR (I've had shots that appeared to hit the enemy on my screen instead kill a friendly 30 meters to the side)
D. Oh yeah, screwing around with fellow guildmates (but usually that falls under A or B too)

It's not always black and white.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 13 September 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#1547 Yossaaah

Rookie

• The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 September 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

I call for mitigating circumstances on that.

I've TK'd people because they were hell bent and determined to either:

A. Kill me.
B. Damage me to the point of being an easy kill for the enemy.
C. Walked into my line of fire unexpectedly and got hit by a round that WOULD have killed the enemy, if not for bad timing, bad situational awareness, a lack of skill, or malfed up hit detection/HSR (I've had shots that appeared to hit the enemy on my screen instead kill a friendly 30 meters to the side)
D. Oh yeah, screwing around with fellow guildmates (but usually that falls under A or B too)

It's not always black and white.

UTMOST

#1548 Cayp

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKGD

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hello Karl.
Simple question that I have.

Is there any plans on returning the inverse kinematics animation back into game?
We remember that it was removed due to performance issues when netcode went server-authoritative and understand that it is not a simple checkbox. But is that issues completely unsolvable and we should forget about it forever?

Any answer will be appreciated.
Thank you.

#1549 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Karl, thanks for your answers...I understand you do not have the information handy. I appreciate the feedback you could give..

#1550 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostAt least I can shoot, on 13 September 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

all my team kills have been accidents, and most were through no fault of my own , here are a few examples:
someone face hugs a Mech which I have already fired LRMs at,
someone is standing behind a Mech I am shooting at, I fire, it dies and becomes intangible, my shots pass through it and kill the Mech standing behind,
someone runs across my line of fire after I fire lasers but before the beam shuts off.

in non of those cases was it my fault that I got a team kill but in your opinion I should be banned, is that correct?

#1551 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostValore, on 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Hi Karl, I have a quick question for the next time you happen to be around, is there something that needs to be fixed with HSR/hitreg at the moment?

I play with high ping of around 250-300, and recently in the past 2 weeks or so, I've been forced to lead people with lasers to hit them. Its slightly annoying, more so because the month before we've had good performances with hitreg, one of the main reasons I started playing again after a year long hiatus, and forked out for a Clan pack.

Have there been any red flags up on your end serverside, or is this not been an issue that's been raised significantly?

Hi Valore, not as far as I am aware. What you describe sounds weird, and should really only happen under variable latency conditions in bursts. Please keep me informed if the problems continue or worsen; thanks!

#1552 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

View PostLordred, on 11 September 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

Karl, thank you so much for responding to the question.

I am however an evil, and vile person and will ask you another related question.

Do you know if there are any plans to normalize textures prior to a high res pack? as it currently stands our texture resolutions are a little all over the place.

<snip..>

That's an impressive document! I am not aware of any plans, but that doesn't mean none are in place. I'm guessing each of those resolutions was chosen by an artist as being the 'best' tradeoff between patch size and visual quality. That said, Dennis surprised many of us with the HPG hitbox fixes recently.

#1553 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 September 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Karl,

Please provide an option that can be set by the player that if a match isn't found in 3 minutes, instead of being jammed into what will probably be the 'short bus' team, it just reports "no match found".

I'm getting kind of tired of waiting 3 minutes to get jammed into a match, only to find that the rest of my team are piloting trial 'mechs and haven't yet figured out that pulling the trigger and wiggling like mad is NOT an actual 'good' skill.

Or worse, are so anxious to fire their weapons will do it as soon as the match starts, right into the back of the 'mech(s) in front of them.

Please.

Pretty please.

I'd rather search 5 times for a match among my peers, rather than be forced to play with people on my team who haven't yet got the experience to play 'well'.

Hi Dimento,

I'm not sure about the feasibility in providing a hard toggle like this, but I am trying very hard to draw in Elo variance as much as possible without harming team match quality as a result. Hopefully as these improvements make their way into production, your experiences improve as a result.

#1554 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 13 September 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

So, Karl, do you know how Conquest c-bill earnings stack up per time compared to other game modes? :)

No, I don't have those figures on hand myself. That's a very interesting question though, so I'm going to ask it myself tomorrow. It all hinges on whether or not gameplay has been tracking time spent on a per-game mode basis.

#1555 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostCayp, on 15 September 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

Hello Karl.
Simple question that I have.

Is there any plans on returning the inverse kinematics animation back into game?
We remember that it was removed due to performance issues when netcode went server-authoritative and understand that it is not a simple checkbox. But is that issues completely unsolvable and we should forget about it forever?

Any answer will be appreciated.
Thank you.

I haven't investigated this myself yet, so I can't give you a solid answer at this time. There are some pretty high priority tasks that we have to take care of with critical importance. Once things have calmed down though, I would love to revisit this feature myself to determine the exact technical issues surrounding its' reintroduction to the game.

#1556 Cayp

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKGD

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:06 AM

Thank you for answer, Karl.
Little hope is always better than none. =)

Edited by Cayp, 16 September 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#1557 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 15 September 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Hi Valore, not as far as I am aware. What you describe sounds weird, and should really only happen under variable latency conditions in bursts. Please keep me informed if the problems continue or worsen; thanks!

What Valore describe is strange. My experience and probably what most high pingers play this game since closed BETA realised that... Lasers hit reg/HSR became really bad ever since the change from 8v8 to 12v12 and has NOT been fixed since..
We know exactly what we are aiming at and how much damage it is suppose to cause...

Even with the move to OVH DC.. My has drop from 250-280ms++ to a stable 231-235ms with very little jitter as far as I can see.. The problem still remain... damage registration for lasers for high ping... is highly inaccurate. Leading is required but that also make convergence screw up when the ray trace is focused too far away to the background..

Just my 2cents on this topic. :mellow:
On the other hand ballistics HSR was work quite well ever since you guys said it would work up to 500ms.

Edited by ShinVector, 16 September 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#1558 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Unfortunately, hit registration has been getting worse for a while now. I think it started with the previous server move, not the recent one. Things used to be rock solid for me last year -- even SRMs mostly worked when they still had the major issue. These days, a stable, fast connection and the client running smooth do not seem to be enough. (I have a ping of just under 130 with typically ~1 ping jitter and 100Mbps both ways, options set up to at least keep 30fps at all times.) Things got even worse with the recent desyncing problem -- now essentially any aimed weapon has issues. This is not just a high ping/inconsistent connection problem anymore.

On the other hand, matchmaking seems to be improving -- very slowly -- at least in the solo queue. More and more matches are not stomps, and I see pretty close ones way outside of US prime time. I guess relaxing the tonnage limits is helping?

Edited by Modo44, 16 September 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#1559 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Karl, much appreciated as always!

My entire clan has been experiencing this issue, and its been happening for a while now. As modo44 mentioned, things were pretty good for a while, and there has been a slight drop in quality in terms of having to lead stuff again and HSR not working right.

The main culprit seems to be lasers, with ballistic, PPC and SRM hits only affected to a lesser extent.

At first a few of us assumed we were just having some jitter and ping instability, but later realised we were all having the same issue, so it was more than that.

We suspect, but have no idea if, it is a server load issue, because sometimes at peak times the problem seems to get worse. It could purely be psychological.

Could you let me know what information would be helpful to you guys to include in support tickets?

I will get the guys to individually submit some support tickets, citing this particular discussion, so you'll have an idea of the extent of the issue, and we'll see if we can get some videos up.

Cheers, Valore

Edited by Valore, 16 September 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#1560 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

Now, please understand, this is based on my experience (~200 ping), but ever since server-authenticated hit effects went live, it has taken me about a quarter to a half a second to see the reticule go red even when I score a solid hit point blank.

While it may be "working intended" it is also very frustrating, and potentially very dangerous when you're waiting for the laser burn to stop before twisting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users