Headshot Story...

11 replies to this topic

#1 Name113995

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Juts chilling in my TBT-5J around hill, waiting for enemy Atlas to pass by.
While in cover I spotted his head size of a moon. Got out of safety and bang alpha strike with 5 ML in head BUT game says that I hit his torso. When I was clearly hit him in the head ( nose to be precise ).

After some researching here in forum I got information that in order to really hit Atlas on head is to aim into his let eye... Really...? His right eye is sudenly not part of his big size moon head?
Nor his forehead?
This is also a rule for most of the mechs. Not about eye but hitboxes on head are just... not right.

I understand that some things are sacraficed for better gameplay/balance but this is just ridiculous.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

So you want to get rid of all the mech who have big cockpits? Because that's what it comes down to, if the complete head becomes one giant hitbox. Mechs like the atlas, with a head, the size of a small planet would never be seen on the battlefields again.

I've already been through that once in Multiplayer Battletech 3025. All head hitboxes where exactly the size of the head. When you saw an Atlas or Trebuchet on the battlefield it was dead within seconds, because you couldn't miss those big and weak armored targets.

The game would become much more easy and boring fast. An Atlas needs to be an impressive opponent in a one on one situation. Not just a big walking target with a sign that says: "Shoot me!"

Edited by Egomane, 20 February 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostEgomane, on 20 February 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

So you want to get rid of all the mech who have big cockpits?

Yes please! Bring back closed beta Atlas head hitboxes!!! :o

Posted Image

Edited by Heffay, 20 February 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#4 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Believe me, you don't want big head hitboxes. If every mech had a head hitbox the size of its actual head, the only thing effectively standing between you and the spectator screen is 18 points of armor, regardless of mech class. Then when everything dies in about three hits, the only usable mechs will be Lights and fast Mediums.

The head hitbox is small because death by cockpit destruction is supposed to be a rare occurrence, for when that AC/20 shot just happens to go through your cockpit glass and splatter your pilot into red soup.

If you want to aim for weak points in enemy mechs, try the back. The armor is always thinner there.

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 20 February 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Believe me, you don't want big head hitboxes.

Back in closed beta I am told (by several reliable sources - including some of those generally labeled "haters") that they did have it like that - and it got changed quickly for just that reason. :unsure:

#6 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Back in closed beta I am told (by several reliable sources - including some of those generally labeled "haters") that they did have it like that - and it got changed quickly for just that reason. :)

Yup. It used to be ludicrous how easy it was to headshot an Atlas. Remember the cataphract giant head hot fix? Now imagine that on steroids.

#7 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Next they'll want glowing eyes telling you exactly where to aim.... wait, we had that too.

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 February 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Next they'll want glowing eyes telling you exactly where to aim.... wait, we had that too.

Hey, it was cool! (if silly) :)

#9 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

You do know that that is how all the heads are don't you? The Centurion,for example,has the helmet around its head counting as CT,and the Cataphract has only the center panel of its cockpit counting as heads,and the catapult only one of the window panes counts. As egomane said it would be impossible not to headshot a lot of mechs if their heads were as they appeared.

#10 Drakenn

• PipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 74 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

People complain about ACs and PPCs as it is, lol.

#11 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I miss the days when the head hit box was the full head.
OH Atlas! All I have to do is hit the barn sitting between his shoulders. 2000 meters out with AC2s? No problem.

But seriously, think of all the mechs this would wreck
Atlas
Battlemaster
Griffin
Cataphract
Hunchback.
Shadowhawk.
Catapult.
The Timber Wolk is DOA.

The Atlas is fine. The left eye is where the pilot sits, not the right.

#12 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

if we didnt have pinpoint accuracy then maybe we can have some normal size heads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users