83 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

If this post isn't about "gameplay balance" (or lack there of), than I don't know what is.

Posted Image

910 tons vs 640 tons.

I'm glad to see matchmaker is working flawlessly.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

I'm pretty sure the weekend sale is working as intended too.

#3 Ravnis

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

I've taken up the policy, whether we win or lose, if it's not within 3 kills or a close score it's a bad game. This is pretty terrible when it's never even a close matchup.

Edited by Rex Antilles, 08 March 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#4 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Since the matchmaker doesn't match by drop weight, yes, it is working correctly. It's working poorly, but correctly.

#5 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Posts like this are just asinine... :ph34r:

I dunno... maybe I should post the two dozen matches I had tonight that were well within an acceptable tonnage differential?

We all know the match-maker struggles on occasion. What's the point in belaboring it especially knowing the upcoming launch module will go a long way to remedy the present inequities?

#6 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostDaZur, on 09 March 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Posts like this are just asinine... :)

I dunno... maybe I should post the two dozen matches I had tonight that were well within an acceptable tonnage differential?

We all know the match-maker struggles on occasion. What's the point in belaboring it especially knowing the upcoming launch module will go a long way to remedy the present inequities?

Just to play Devil's Advocate...and not to assault you personally, but....

When, exactly, is this Launch Module going to be released? I mean, I know it's going to be released "sometime" (which is PGI's stance on virtually everything they say they're going to do that gets the community excited) but....is it going to be anytime before the game itself just dies off?

#7 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 09 March 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

When, exactly, is this Launch Module going to be released? I mean, I know it's going to be released "sometime" (which is PGI's stance on virtually everything they say they're going to do that gets the community excited) but....is it going to be anytime before the game itself just dies off?

It was either March or April if I remember the post about it right, and yeah now that I know the MM is going to be significantly altered, I agree that these kinds of posts are a waste.

As for knocking PGI on when it will arrive, since UI2.0 (warts and all), we've been seeing a lot of changes i.e. a bunch of modules, weapon tweaks in the right direction, JJ changes, turrets, DX11, better sales, a new event, etc. In less than two months we will have the MM module, a 'smurfy's' style mechlab,

All that in the short amount of time UI2.0 came out compared to looking at the several months leading up to it and all we got were mechs, one or two maps and not much else to speak of. UI2.0 really was holding everything else back it seems.

#8 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

The sad thing is, this is far more balanced that a lot of games that I end up in....

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 09 March 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate...and not to assault you personally, but....

Read the CC posts dude.
Expected Release Date:
With all of the changes to both the Match Maker and Lobby systems, this feature is going to go through extended testing. That being said, we are going to be pushing out the expected release date to April 29th, 2014

#10 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Read the CC posts dude.
Expected Release Date:
With all of the changes to both the Match Maker and Lobby systems, this feature is going to go through extended testing. That being said, we are going to be pushing out the expected release date to April 29th, 2014

I have been reading the CC updates....that quote comes from the February 27th CC post.

That means that PGI is predicting they will be able to meet a deadline that they have set for themselves two months from the date of the announcement.

It also means that as of February 27th, 2014, PGI has NO plans to do anything about the Matchmaker in the interim and the overwhelming evidence that their current Matchmaker may be "working as intended," and it's working like crap....which, I guess, means they intended for it to be crap. So, every single thread like this one is basically worthless....not because the matchmaker is "working as intended" but because they have NO intention of doing anything until they actually release the Launch Module.

You can White Knight for them all you want, but historical evidence shows that odds are VERY good that they will either A ) miss the deadline completely without any communication with the community at all or B ) release a half completed, broken product and claim that "it is a work in progress" and "a hotfix will be coming soon."

I'll believe it when I see it. Dude.

Edited by Willard Phule, 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#11 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 09 March 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

I have been reading the CC updates....that quote comes from the February 27th CC post.

That means that PGI is predicting they will be able to meet a deadline that they have set for themselves two months from the date of the announcement.

You can White Knight for them all you want, but historical evidence shows that odds are VERY good that they will either A ) miss the deadline completely without any communication with the community at all or B ) release a half completed, broken product and claim that "it is a work in progress" and "a hotfix will be coming soon."

I'll believe it when I see it. Dude.

How the hell is quoting the release date you asked for white knighting? see if I try to help you by answering a question you asked again. You can go troll elsewhere now

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

I know I'm in a minority here, but I like how random the match maker is. Playing a fighting game you should never know your chance of winning.

Its exciting. Folks need to remember exciting doesn't always mean fun though.

May you live in interesting times is a curse not a blessing. ;)

#13 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

I pay no attn. to matchmaker and have no issues with it. Weights and skill levels are always different, resulting in you win some/loose some. In one match over the weekend I get 7 kills and 1200+ damage, and another 50 with none. In another match I am the last guy, in a light, legged, against last 4 on other team. Just as I have given up a friend on TS says "ohh you got this" laughing. Well, they came at me one by one and I did "get it". I don't blame MM for my/teams bad games, I look at what went wrong and don't do it again. I think more should do the same.

Because all I see is "players are broken, so fix MM so I can win every time".

Edited by Dozier, 10 March 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#14 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

I too think the MM is alright. Sometimes there is terrible stomps, but overall it's doing ok considering the nature of the game. It is very difficult, no impossible, to balance a game that have so much "snowball effect". But, I wouldn't be surprised if all this whining about MM results in some PvE solution to "balance", turrets that go active if a team is losing etc...
Don't like the upcoming forced weightclasses, the best victories are when my team defeats a heavier enemy.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

How the hell is quoting the release date you asked for white knighting? see if I try to help you by answering a question you asked again. You can go troll elsewhere now

Sorry Sand, but Phule is right. We were told CW would be here... Jan last year, then June, Then Feb of this year (IIRC) Now we have a new release date... I cannot say I will have an eye on the finish line of release dates. ;)

#16 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

i've seen and been in worse. man up and play the cards you're dealt with. its not that you are losing actually something or you are ending up only in thse type of games. if it happens once in a while...why making so much fuss about it...

#17 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

It's less a matter of the information you provided and more in the manner, or implied tone, in which you provided it.

Look, I'll be completely honest with you. I don't like you or what you represent. In this particular instance, I admit that I may have "jumped the gun" as far as calling you a White Knight, but overall....that's exactly what you are.

I can't (and won't) count the number of intelligent, well thought discussions that I have seen you enter on the arbitrary side of PGI and the Developers. The majority of these discussions tend to be about either broken promises from PGI or some sort of imbalance issue.

Most of the time, your primary argument with anyone is that whatever they have to say, regardless of any evidence to back them up, is "their opinion only" and then you tend to espouse your own opinion as being more noteworthy.

I am OBVIOUSLY not as educated as you, so you'll pardon me if, whenever I enter a conversation with you involved, I automatically go on the defensive and simply assume that you will be taking an arbitrarily argumentative stance to whatever opinion I may state.

Thank you and have a nice day.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

It bugs me that two posters I like, cause they speak their minds and don't apologize for it, can't get along ...yet. ;)

#19 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostDaZur, on 09 March 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Posts like this are just asinine... :angry:

But see this should not even have to be discussed and that is the whole point. This happens more then not... and let me add I have seen far worse. Far far worse. Which then you have to wonder how many times does it happen that is acceptable to you??? SO how many matches does it take of imbalance and failure before it starts is ok for you? 3 out of 10? because it is about that for me. So at what point do you actually complain because I would like to know.

You know being a game and expecting it to be somewhat balanced before you start and all. I mean if anything, show us the weights of the match at the start so I can log out or disconnect before it starts wasting my time. -- THINKING that it is a roughly fair and balanced drop.

Thats the shity part... thinking it is fair before it starts only to find out you have been doubled in lbs from the op team.

Oh yeah... Lobby system better have choice for Solo and Premade and weights in there somehow or this game will keep losing players to imbalance if anything.

#20 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'm fine with being in a lopsided match - If they would pay the lighter team a little more - or a lot more. Then players would be incentivized to try to win while a little bit lighter.

Same for a start-of-match disco - give the smaller team a cash bonus, win or lose, for every mech they're down.

This would serve as an interim patch until we get a good matchmaker (which could be a few years, if ever).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users