Lrms Just Need The Same Mechanic As Streaks!

6 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

Like title says.

LRMs NEED the same mechanic as STREAKS!
Ya know, Missle "aim" for different "Bones" of a targeted mech?
This change would Spread out LRM damage and better Balance LRMs!

I'm fine with the change to LRMs speed and the change to NARC.

BUT... LRMs are still doing 80-90% of its damage to CENTER TORSO ONLY!!!
(I'm NOT standing still. Im torso twisting my best to spread incoming damage AS IM moving to cover)
Even with my BACK to the enemy... running into cover... my FRONT CT ARMOR is getting cored... yet my BACK is to the LRM boat? WTF PGI?

Every Heavy/Assault mech I use, this happens too!
I run AMS on ALL mechs, even Lights!

LRMs are fine, they just need to follow the SAME mechanic as STREAKS! Then... I think LRMs would be at a very reasonable BALANCE!!!

Edited by BlackDeathLegion, 22 March 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#2 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

NO!!!

The SSRM fix was just to save Light mechs from being cored by 6xSSRM CPLTs. It's not going to work vs the Clans anyway who can field 24xSSRMs on some stock mechs.

LRMs are fine as they are. They cause players to think about tactics now, the best part. If they are too much though they can remove the speed buff or tone it down. If they go to "Bones" targeting to please some whiners MWO will lose the last vestige of being a Mech sim and just be an arcade shooter.

#3 Livebait

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts
  • LocationDrop ship Alpha, drinking beer

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Actually I always liked this idea. Artimas would tighten up the salvo and tag would increase missile speed and lock.

I have never had any problems before this patch with killing a mech or getting good damage as an LRM boat. I could CT mechs way way to easy IMO.

But, oh well...hold it...INCOMING MISSILES INCOMING MISSILES INCOMING MISSILES INCOMING MISSILES

#4 ScorpionNinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 22 March 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

NO!!!

The SSRM fix was just to save Light mechs from being cored by 6xSSRM CPLTs. It's not going to work vs the Clans anyway who can field 24xSSRMs on some stock mechs.

LRMs are fine as they are. They cause players to think about tactics now, the best part. If they are too much though they can remove the speed buff or tone it down. If they go to "Bones" targeting to please some whiners MWO will lose the last vestige of being a Mech sim and just be an arcade shooter.

Lightfoot, so your saying LRMs are spread damage all over a mech, "soften" them up, but NOT CORING CENTER TORSO TOO EASY?

My Atlas-K with 2 AMS and 3 tons of ammo... torso twisting, trying to use my BIG Arms to absorb incoming LRMs, whilst in FULL reverse, back into the COVER I WAS JUST STANDING IN some 75-120m away..... I still get CORED and Die, BEFORE Im able to get back into that cover. Because just a moment ago, I stepped out to pop off an LRM10 and 2 PPCs at a enemy target 600m away!
Meanwhile my arms, side torsos have LIGHT COLORED YELLOW damage on my paper doll. My CENTER TORSO armor is gone, CHERRY RED INTERNALs!
This happens to me in ANY TYPE OF MEDIUM, HEAVY or ASSAULT MECH! So its NOT just one chassis.

Lightfoot... NO!

I'm not complaining about the SPEED change of LRMs, or NARC.
I'm just saying LRMs "MOSTLY" hit CT, like months ago. Maybe not as bad, but still!
I'm SUGGESTING a change in order to better balance LRMs. LRMs are NOT a "pin point" damage weapon, but currently they kinda seem so. That is a problem.

Making LRMs hit a target, FOLLOWING THE SAME WAY STREAK SRM2s do... will HELP spread damage out.

So my IDEA is OFF THE CHARTS STUPID, right?

No one else thinks my idea would HELP BALANCE LRMs???

#5 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

They are supposed to seek out random body parts just like streaks except in groups of 5 missiles.

But PGI.

#6 Reptilizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostBlackDeathLegion, on 22 March 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

*snip*
BUT... LRMs are still doing 80-90% of its damage to CENTER TORSO ONLY!!!
(I'm NOT standing still. Im torso twisting my best to spread incoming damage AS IM moving to cover)
Even with my BACK to the enemy... running into cover... my FRONT CT ARMOR is getting cored... yet my BACK is to the LRM boat? WTF PGI?

Every Heavy/Assault mech I use, this happens too!
I run AMS on ALL mechs, even Lights!

View PostScorpionNinja, on 24 March 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Lightfoot, so your saying LRMs are spread damage all over a mech, "soften" them up, but NOT CORING CENTER TORSO TOO EASY?

My Atlas-K with 2 AMS and 3 tons of ammo... torso twisting, trying to use my BIG Arms to absorb incoming LRMs, whilst in FULL reverse, back into the COVER I WAS JUST STANDING IN some 75-120m away..... I still get CORED and Die, BEFORE Im able to get back into that cover. Because just a moment ago, I stepped out to pop off an LRM10 and 2 PPCs at a enemy target 600m away!
Meanwhile my arms, side torsos have LIGHT COLORED YELLOW damage on my paper doll. My CENTER TORSO armor is gone, CHERRY RED INTERNALs!
This happens to me in ANY TYPE OF MEDIUM, HEAVY or ASSAULT MECH! So its NOT just one chassis.

Lightfoot... NO!

I'm not complaining about the SPEED change of LRMs, or NARC.
I'm just saying LRMs "MOSTLY" hit CT, like months ago. Maybe not as bad, but still!
*snip*

Either you are playing a different game or i am the master of unintentional torso twisting. As long as one does not follow the brave but questionable example in the last quote (walking slowly backwards with the missiles coming from the front) i at least tend to get hit everywhere.
There may be a bias as far as legs are concerned and there definitely is a bias as different chassis are concerned, but there is no CT magnet.

#7 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

The spread of bone targeting doesn't have to be equal distribution to body parts.

Something like this:
RL/RA/RT/CT/LT/LA/LG
05/10/ 15/ 40/ 15/10/ 05 ---Normal launchers
00/05/ 10/ 70/ 10/05/ 00 ---Artemis launchers

Normal launchers will spread damage around, but still aim for the CT a little less that half the time
Artemis makes about 2/3 of missiles target the CT and the rest the upper torso.

This roughly mimics (and can be adjusted as needed) the missile spread we've been seeing at the old missile speeds, so now speed is uncoupled from ability to hit different mech locations. It's also not purely random what locations get targeted, and artemis greatly improves targeting (and since artemis comes at a weight penalty and doesn't stack with NARC it can't get completely OP).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users