Reflection Error On Forest Colony (With Reproduction Steps!)

11 replies to this topic

#1 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'm getting some really strange artifacting on Forest Colony in Dx11:

Posted Image

Hard to tell without looking at full size, but the water is covered in solid black squares. HDR sees these and goes crazy, flipping the screen from "Normal" brightness to very dark as the squares move around.

I'm also seeing blue screens with error code 116 on this map occasionally as well, and I would guess that it's related (116 seems to be related to graphics drivers crashing).

Recreating this is simple for me, load up forest colony, head to 1806/1582/132, or anywhere near that, and look at the boat. It looks like the water is missing whatever it's trying to reflect.

This looks like an artifact from overheating but it happens even when I first launch the game, and my card is ~40 C at that time, so that isn't the problem.

My system:
i5-2500k @ stock clocks
8GB RAM
HD 6950 1 GB
Windows 7
All settings max except AA is off. 2560x1440@60Hz, DX11

Anyone else seeing this, or know of a workaround for it (other than don't stand near the boat)?

Edit: Just checked and I AM running out of GPU memory here (it peaks above 1GB). I guess that explains why it happens, but shouldn't the game have a more graceful way of handling that?

Edited by AEgg, 23 March 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Xcalibur2

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

2560x1440 a bit much for 6950. Disable Aero and desktop composition to free a bit of vram, it should help. Also close your browser as most use video memory.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

sys_budget_sysmem = 1024
in your user.cfg helps a lot with overrunning the VRAM; Getting the Textures slider down to medium on a 1GB card is arguably a better solution, though …

#4 Fidget Arkanian

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Frozen Wastes....

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Reviving this thread because I've hit the same problem only I'm using an R9 290 as my vid card, an i7 4770 @stock clock, 16GB RAM, and runing at 1920x1080. All settings Very High with PostAA enabled.

Have tried reducing settings from Very High down to even Medium and for some reason am still getting the same issue. Tried the user.cfg soln provided by goose but that got me nowhere. Is my vid card faulty maybe?

#5 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Greetings,

Is there a conflict between your current vid driver settings and what the MWO setting are set for?

- Do you have matching settings specifically for MWO or are they 'globally' set?
- That's from the main windows 'right click' graphics settings, compared to what your settings are in game.
(some card settings list 'override' the programs settings so watch for that.)
~ under manage 3D settings;
~ insure you have your vid card settings set to max power or performance)

If Nvidia, get the latest drivers ver: 337.88 or try the newer Beta drivers ver: 340.43
- After each patch check these Graphics settings to see if new perimeters have been added of changed, the game is evolving so new stuff is tweaked all the time.

9erRed

#6 RealZeratul

Rookie

• Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi there, I know that this is a relatively old topic, but I did not find anything else about this, and I am having the same issues.

I too am running a Radeon R9 290 with the most recent non-beta drivers, and I noticed that those black blocks only appear in DX11 mode. If I switch to DX9, I am getting very slightly lower FPS on average, but better perceived performance, because whenever those black blocks appear in the water, I get a small frame drop, which is pretty annoying because they flicker in and out very quickly when moving.

This is not a memory or temperature issue (my GPU is a Sapphire Tri-X, not the stock model).

Tell me if you need extra information, in the meantime I'll just stick with DX9.

Edited by RealZeratul, 12 September 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#7 KommandoSpookums

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Bump

#8 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of the Eastern US

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hey, I just found this post.

I am experiencing the exact same thing with my HD 7950. I suspect the error has something to do with the latest non beta driver (ver 14) as in ver 13 I definitely did not have this problem. Also, i believe it to be an anisotropic filtering error as you can see the same artifacting on some of the signs in river city if you are standing near right angles to them and anisotropic filtering is what governs textures at oblique angles. I'm messing around with settings, maybe I can work out some kind of fix.

#9 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of the Eastern US

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

well forcing anisotropic filtering through catalyst seems to lessen the effect but its still there...

#10 RealZeratul

Rookie

• Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

I just realized that this topic is in the workarounds forum; does anybody know if the official support is aware of this problem and working on it? Do they sometimes read/post in this forum?

This problem is not of extremely high priority of course, but it'd be nice to know that it's on their list.

#11 Nostirius

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

I have the same issue. It only happens on Forest Colony. Same spot as the picture above. Don't have any problems with other games.
My system: i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600, ATI R9 280x 3GB. Win 7 Home Prem. 64bit. Drivers etc updated non beta.
I run MWO on DX11 everything max 1920x1080. System is cool, underclocking doesn't seem to help. DX9 version doesn't have the problem. Repair/reinstall doesn't make a difference. So I figured it's PGI that messed something up in a patch.
Didn't have the problem a couple of months back... Not sure when it started. Game stays playable but the black blocks are ugly and the dark flashes are just annoying.

Was hoping people found a fix, I'll try some different driver settings etc if anything solves it I'll post it here.

#12 sharerware

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

I have the same problem on Forest Colony. I've tried updating graphics card drivers as well as the MWO repair tool, but the issue remains.

My Specs:
- MWO: Max Settings @ 1080P w/DX11
- AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz (OC'd to 4.2 Ghz)
- Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+
- 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
- Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB Dual-X
- Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
- Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply

Edited by sharerware, 20 October 2014 - 08:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users