#1 Corvin Reinhardt

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Hi,

I just installed MWO on a newish PC and I am getting terrible FPS.

My graphics driver is up to date and adjusting the graphics settings has little effect on the framerate.

System specs are:
AMD FX 8150 8-core
16GB RAM
Win7HP
AMD Radeon HD 7900

Any advice how I can improve the games performance?

#2 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Need more info. What settings are u playing on? Using dx11? When u say Terrible fps what does that mean?

#3 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Unfortunately this game does not like AMD FX CPU's because of low IPC and it does not utilize our multitude of cores. I have a similar setup fx8350 @5.06 ghz with 1.46mv, and 7970 ghz @ 1200 core / 1607 mem and it dips as low as 13 fps when the tough gets going on 1080p dx11 very high settings msa on.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

my 3ghz phenom II x6 based system was having simular issues, the Hard Disk Drive was the bottleneck, swapping the HDD for a Solid State Drive fixed the problem, I went from 1024x768, meduim graphics oftern below 20FPS to 1080p very high graphics and rairly below 60FPS. Windows and games are on the SSD, while the HDD is now used for storing files pictures ect.

to see if this is your problem open resorce monitor (press ctrl, shift and escape at the same time, goto the performance tab, resorce monitor) then play a game, check the graphs see if any are frequently maxing out, try it a few times, if there is a pattern you have identified your bottleneck. elimating the bottleneck (by replacing the componant causing it with a faster version) should improve your FPS

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

If you have an AMD FX (4 to 8 Cores/Modules) with close to or above 4 GHz you never should get lower than 30 FPS in Dx11 and 40 FPS in Dx9 at 1920x1200 Fullscreen Very High Settings with a GPU of 7900 Performancelevel.
Even my Phenom II x4 975 does get 30+ minimum FPS with ATI HD 6950 GPU at High Settings.

If you have lower FPS you have a Hardware or Software or Setup-Issue that is not CPU-Brand related!

For example Heat Vision may kill your FPS - i run occasionally into this issue that i can not use Heat Vision bcs i suddenly drop to <15 FPS, when i switch back to Night or Normal View i have 40 to 60 FPS (with VSync On locking my max FPS to 60 - wihout VSync i get >100 max FPS).

Edited by Thorqemada, 28 March 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#6 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Are you able to monitor your temperatures with software (CPU/GPU primarily, although if you know what temp your VRMs are that might help too)? Does your case feel really warm after playing, or do CPU/GPU fans spin up after a while (do they get loud)? Also, what speed is your 8150 running at, and what motherboard is it in?

#7 Corvin Reinhardt

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

Running DX11 on 1080p, max settings but still getting poor framerate <30 even when I drop the settings to low. Kinda dismal. My game is installed on a SSD too.

Nick Rarang, I think you are right. Do you guys think they will ever optimise the game for AMD FX CPUs in the future? It would be a shame not to be able to play my favourite game due to a poor lack of planning by PGI.

#8 Corvin Reinhardt

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

MercJ I don't believe high temperatures are the issue because the game runs like shit even when my PC is cold. Can obtain more details for you if you require them in case you have a possible solution

#9 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

Most definitely change to dx 9 and turn environment shadows down and I think object detail. Try them on high if u need more fps then try them medium. Dx9 switch alone should help

#10 JigSaw73

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRoswell, NM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:40 AM

I would guess it was your video card or maybe your Power Supply. i have a 'lesser' computer setup than you do and I run MWO on 'Very High' while I stream at 720p on Twitch and have Chrome open, OBS open, Spotify running and TS3 running.

I get smooth gameplay and around 40 fps

My system:

AMD FX 6300 Six-Core Processor @ 3.50 GHz
Ram @ 8.0 GB
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS (SP1)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

I do have a 600w Power Supply and I'm a real believer in the P/S affecting performance, but that is just my personal opinion.

I'd keep looking into it if I were you. You should be able to get decent FPS at higher settings w/ that setup, again, in my opiinion.

~JigSaw

#11 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hey Nitzol, no prob, just wanted to rule heat out :) My FX-8320/7970 needed some airflow to really get some room to breathe when I overclocked them.

Speaking of which, are you doing any overclocking? What speed do you have your 8150 running? (If you can, get it up to around 4.2-4.4GHz, MWO didn't start playing nice for me until I got my 8320 up to 4.4 at least) - if you know your model of motherboard, we can probably tell you if overclocking is worth the time or not.

Otherwise, you could try deleting your shaders cache (C:\WhereverYouInstalledMWO\USER\Shaders\Cache) and running the repair tool - that helped me a bit on the update where they added DX11 and I was suffering from FPS drops like crazy. Last I heard, that was an error on their (PGI's) part, I'll have to go look and see if that's been fixed yet.

#12 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostMercJ, on 28 March 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Hey Nitzol, no prob, just wanted to rule heat out :) My FX-8320/7970 needed some airflow to really get some room to breathe when I overclocked them.

Speaking of which, are you doing any overclocking? What speed do you have your 8150 running? (If you can, get it up to around 4.2-4.4GHz, MWO didn't start playing nice for me until I got my 8320 up to 4.4 at least) - if you know your model of motherboard, we can probably tell you if overclocking is worth the time or not.

Otherwise, you could try deleting your shaders cache (C:\WhereverYouInstalledMWO\USER\Shaders\Cache) and running the repair tool - that helped me a bit on the update where they added DX11 and I was suffering from FPS drops like crazy. Last I heard, that was an error on their (PGI's) part, I'll have to go look and see if that's been fixed yet.

I don't think overclocking helps as mine is overclocked high enough @ 5.06ghz and I still get 11-13fps dips. I just hope that mantle gets supported soon so we can get bf4 performance

#13 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Another sorrowful thing about AMD's performance on this game is that my GPU usage dips to as low as 42%. Frame time varience is all over the charts. It seems that AMD's drivers aren't optimized for this game. I'm on 14.3 and my 7970 is clocked at 1200 core 1607 mem.

#14 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

This is one of those games that I wish I had gotten a stock 3770 with no overclock and a gtx 680.

#15 Corvin Reinhardt

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thanks again for the advice guys.

I deleted the cache folder and changed to DX9, am now getting 30-40 FPS which is playable but still not ideal.

I would like to overclock my system but I'm a noob and don't know how :)

#16 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostNitzol, on 28 March 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Thanks again for the advice guys.

I deleted the cache folder and changed to DX9, am now getting 30-40 FPS which is playable but still not ideal.

I would like to overclock my system but I'm a noob and don't know how :)

glad its playable for u... word on the street is shadows is very cpu heavy as well you can turn tat down to low and it makes very little noticeable difference in the looks of the game.

#17 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostNick Rarang, on 28 March 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

I don't think overclocking helps as mine is overclocked high enough @ 5.06ghz and I still get 11-13fps dips. I just hope that mantle gets supported soon so we can get bf4 performance

Maybe just maybe your vishera thermal throttles, cause My 8350 between 4776mhz and 4976mhz doesnt see below 30FPS, EVER with the sun blotted out from LRMs......in a brawl, during an airstrike.............

**EDIT** GPU AMP 760 2GB 1226core (3456X2)6912mhz GDDR5

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 29 March 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#18 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 29 March 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Maybe just maybe your vishera thermal throttles, cause My 8350 between 4776mhz and 4976mhz doesnt see below 30FPS, EVER with the sun blotted out from LRMs......in a brawl, during an airstrike.............

**EDIT** GPU AMP 760 2GB 1226core (3456X2)6912mhz GDDR5

i tried running it at stock 4.0 ghz and the frame rates were just horrid. How about on DX9 at low setting on 1080p my frame rates was between 12-18 fps and dips as low as 5 fps. At 5.01 ghz, at very high settings on 1080p with MSA and vsync on it averages 60 fps but dips to 13 fps when the going gets tough. I tell you this game isn't optimized for FX processors and AMD radeon 7970 cards. Maybe your gtx 760 was your saving grace.

#19 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Nick:
You've got something horribly wrong with your build if you can't get at least as good as I do. You've got more cores, more clocks, more cache, and more GPU than I do, and the lowest I get is the high 20's.
Unless you have a pressing need for other programs, you might want to back your drivers back to 13.12. Also, make sure CCC is not imposing it's own level of antialiasing.

Nitzol:
Overclocking is reasonably easy. The important thing to remember is you can never have enough cooling, and that the least amount of Voltage you can get away with, the better. Now, load up your temp monitors, stress test software, and start cranking that multiplier UP! It goes something like: Multiplier up until you hit instability, then voltage until stable, rinse, repeat. Always run the stress test for a minimum of 30min to check temps. There are several very good sites to reference for overclocking information and instruction. Google is your friend.

Edited by darqsyde, 29 March 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#20 chaas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

It may be that you're doing nothing wrong. Test other games, see what kind of frame rate you get. MWO tends to run at a lower FPS than most other games I play. Leads me to think it's something they did.

My super sad build specs are listed in the sig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users