http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09fc2c446dbc108

#42 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Let's go NGNG hunting in the Raven 4X. :)
Looks like our blitz caught some warrior napping on the wheel.

For the twitch stream you can skip to the 1hr exactly mark.
http://www.twitch.tv...gtv/b/526110060

Should be up in an hour.
The match from my view.

Edited by ShinVector, 05 May 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#43 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

That's... really unimpressive? Aside from it being a roflstomp from the start, that 4X setup can be achieved on a 3L too (minus the jumpjets, but you have speed anyway as well as ECM).

#44 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PosteFTy, on 05 May 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

That's... really unimpressive? Aside from it being a roflstomp from the start, that 4X setup can be achieved on a 3L too (minus the jumpjets, but you have speed anyway as well as ECM).

It wasn't meant to be impressive since team work was at play... <5min stomp caught on camera though. :(

3L with speed and ECM you say ? Sure if armour is not important to you...
Anyway.. ECM is overrated... Real men use the 4X or 2X... LOL... :P

#45 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

I say you can't fix perfection!
(And yes, I am joking. But the build I am not. Its an effective build, or is the way I tend to use it...)

#46 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 May 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

I say you can't fix perfection!
(And yes, I am joking. But the build I am not. Its an effective build, or is the way I tend to use it...)

Argghh.. You put your dirty LRMs in everything... :(
Where's your AMS.. Hmmm Hmmm !! :P

#47 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostShinVector, on 05 May 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

Argghh.. You put your dirty LRMs in everything... :P
Where's your AMS.. Hmmm Hmmm !! :blink:

LRMs are not filthy! They produce such nice blossoms of color when I shoot them... What? They are fireworks for moral boosting, right? :unsure:

And, AMS? Whats that? I just lazily list to the left. (AKA: Duck, weave, and use cover to avoid incoming LRMs.)

Can I have my LRMs with blue explosions please? :(

#48 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostShinVector, on 05 May 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

It wasn't meant to be impressive since team work was at play... <5min stomp caught on camera though. :)

3L with speed and ECM you say ? Sure if armour is not important to you...
Anyway.. ECM is overrated... Real men use the 4X or 2X... LOL... :ph34r:

Yes you have to skimp on a bit of armour to fit it all in - RVN-3L - but the whole point is to use the ECM and not become a target. a 4X with 2 PPCs will be like a beacon for any good light pilot and melt to a Jenner in no time. With ECM it's less likely you'll draw them in. They'll still come, sometimes, which is why lately I've been preferring this: RVN-3L - you can still snipe, and you can still fight other lights (preferably with some help, if they're not already damaged).

The whole point of the thread is to find something the 4X is good at. That's either an AC support dingy like this: RVN-4X (with AC2 or AC5 instead if you prefer) OR a carrion bird like others have mentioned, like RVN-4X, which gets you:
Posted Image

#49 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PosteFTy, on 06 May 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

a carrion bird like others have mentioned, like RVN-4X, which gets you:

I like my Carrion better, but that's just me being an LRM freak probably. I use the LRMs to help me hide and support my team, while at the same time using it as a game opener and to peel armor. When I see a weak spot, I use my speed to take the section and run back into my team. When I'm out of LRM ammo, it's time to dance.

Yours is set up for closer ranged engagements, which can be just as good. I can see that LPL is to strip off armor as well as the SSRMs. MGs are MGs, and work in the same manner as my MGs... Though I do want to ask, no BAP? Or just not worried if ECM shuts down your SSRMs?

Either way, we seem to get a very similar performance from our Carrion mechs.

#50 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

Love the 4X.

Simple but effective build.

Max XL engine (140kph is suitable for a light), DHS, ES, FF
3xJJ
1xLL, 1xML, SRM4, 2xMG

Does well against basically any target and the best part is you don't have to try and pop tart in a light.

There's also the boomraven(single AC20) if you feel like going under 100kph in a light mech.

#51 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PosteFTy, on 06 May 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Yes you have to skimp on a bit of armour to fit it all in - RVN-3L - but the whole point is to use the ECM and not become a target. a 4X with 2 PPCs will be like a beacon for any good light pilot and melt to a Jenner in no time. With ECM it's less likely you'll draw them in. They'll still come, sometimes, which is why lately I've been preferring this: RVN-3L - you can still snipe, and you can still fight other lights (preferably with some help, if they're not already damaged).

The whole point of the thread is to find something the 4X is good at. That's either an AC support dingy like this: RVN-4X (with AC2 or AC5 instead if you prefer) OR a carrion bird like others have mentioned, like RVN-4X, which gets you:

Quite a bad build honestly.. 1 Arty or Air Strike will kill you... Just a bad idea reduce head armour on Ravens and Jenners due to their forward facing {LT-MOB-25} pits.

One of the point of running the 4X and 2X is to be bait... Occasionally I will get the over confident light pilot trying to chase me... First of all I am a 'slow' light... I won't be too far from the team mates... Thats where baiting works and I just run around my team or letting them kill the light instead.
Getting >90M can actually be quite easy..

I posted this earlier... Typical ERLL ECM Raven versus.. R4X Poptart PPC Raven...
1min 00s - The first encounter rip through his CT with 2 well place Alphas. Gotta love how PPC disables ECM too.. He runs away... Shatting bricks.. *Mental note... There is an ECM Raven with a rip frontal CT to take care of.
3min 06s - Knows Raven is still around due to the long range laser fire. Detects thermal sig of a Raven. Boom!! End of ECM Raven... Just a reminder to people that ECM is not invisibility.

Edited by ShinVector, 06 May 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#52 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 29 March 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

With the free mech bay from PGI, I decided to show some CCAF pride by permanently buying a RVN 4X to accompany my 3L.

But this thing is just gawd awful. I knew it was going to be a challenge, and I played it when I elited my 3L, but it went beyond my expectations. The best I can come up with right now, after trying some close range builds, is a PPC+LL poptart.

Also did 2xML+LB-10X skirmisher which never survives long and PPC+SRM6+ML poptart.

So here's the question, does anyone else have fun running the 4X? I want to make this a unique mech among my arsenal but I also don't want to feel useless when I pilot it.

I can safely say I have a lot of fun with my 4X. I run an XL 275, 2JJ, 1 AMS + 1ton ammo, 1ER PPC, 1ML, 2 MG + 1 ton ammo.

I usually stick with the heavier mechs and poptart with it. Once I see an enemy that's nearly crit I break off from the pack to finish him off before returning to the group. I try to avoid other lights if I can, at least until they're damaged.

I had a match in canyon network on assault (before the turrets) where I was the only one left against 5 other heavies/assaults. Luckily most of them were pretty beat up but I managed to pick them all off one at a time. Just before they could finish capping my teams base I ran in and finished off the last Cataphract securing the win for my team - probably one of my favorite matches of all times.

So, is the 4X good? IMO hells yes!

#53 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostShinVector, on 06 May 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Quite a bad build honestly.. 1 Arty or Air Strike will kill you... Just a bad idea reduce head armour on Ravens and Jenners due to their forward facing {LT-MOB-25} pits.

One of the point of running the 4X and 2X is to be bait... Occasionally I will get the over confident light pilot trying to chase me... First of all I am a 'slow' light... I won't be too far from the team mates... Thats where baiting works and I just run around my team or letting them kill the light instead.
Getting >90M can actually be quite easy..

I posted this earlier... Typical ERLL ECM Raven versus.. R4X Poptart PPC Raven...
1min 00s - The first encounter rip through his CT with 2 well place Alphas. Gotta love how PPC disables ECM too.. He runs away... Shatting bricks.. *Mental note... There is an ECM Raven with a rip frontal CT to take care of.
3min 06s - Knows Raven is still around due to the long range laser fire. Detects thermal sig of a Raven. Boom!! End of ECM Raven... Just a reminder to people that ECM is not invisibility.

I never said ECM makes you invincible. It does help your odds of survivability though, if you know how to take advantage of it.
As for low head armour making you vulnerable to arty... Let's be serious, if you're a good light pilot you won't ever die to it unless you have really dumb luck. You have the speed to avoid it, and you should never clump up with the assaults. Stay close, yes. But never clump up.

View PostTesunie, on 06 May 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

I like my Carrion better, but that's just me being an LRM freak probably. I use the LRMs to help me hide and support my team, while at the same time using it as a game opener and to peel armor. When I see a weak spot, I use my speed to take the section and run back into my team. When I'm out of LRM ammo, it's time to dance.

Yours is set up for closer ranged engagements, which can be just as good. I can see that LPL is to strip off armor as well as the SSRMs. MGs are MGs, and work in the same manner as my MGs... Though I do want to ask, no BAP? Or just not worried if ECM shuts down your SSRMs?

Either way, we seem to get a very similar performance from our Carrion mechs.

Well there s indeed a lot of room for personal preference with this style of play. I find LRMs less efficient on my light mechs. Launch 15, maybe 8-10 will hit, and only a few will damage the center torso or the legs. The large pulse is more surgical, and it has the added bonus of working up close too. The SSRM2 is there for lights, mostly. In case of ECM I either run (if it's a Cicada or streak commando) or just rely on the pulse laser and MGs. Spiders don't seem to like MGs.

#54 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PosteFTy, on 06 May 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Well there s indeed a lot of room for personal preference with this style of play. I find LRMs less efficient on my light mechs. Launch 15, maybe 8-10 will hit, and only a few will damage the center torso or the legs. The large pulse is more surgical, and it has the added bonus of working up close too. The SSRM2 is there for lights, mostly. In case of ECM I either run (if it's a Cicada or streak commando) or just rely on the pulse laser and MGs. Spiders don't seem to like MGs.

What you expect? I'm an LRM freak (but not boating). I feel naked without at least an LRM 5 on me somewhere...

I actually don't for "for the kill" with my Carrion. I aim to take section and destroy components. I aim to weaken, harry and harass. If someone happens to have an XL engine in that side torso I exposed and took on them, all the better tasting for me!

As I've told people before, if it works for you, then there is no "wrong way". The game is about fun, everything else is bonus.

#55 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yup, I agree completely. I was just stating my preference n the particular case of the 4X. The C1 Catapult meanwhile is my best mech currently :)

#56 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:20 AM

View PosteFTy, on 06 May 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I never said ECM makes you invincible. It does help your odds of survivability though, if you know how to take advantage of it.
As for low head armour making you vulnerable to arty... Let's be serious, if you're a good light pilot you won't ever die to it unless you have really dumb luck. You have the speed to avoid it, and you should never clump up with the assaults. Stay close, yes. But never clump up.

I am not sure whether you used the word invincible but I invisible... People tend to lower their guard with ECM.. Even I am guilty of the this bad habit.

Good light pilots build good mechs period. Need to be able withstand at least a 30 point alpha anywhere on your mech.
There and many evil uses to arty/strike...

Eg. You are the only light in conquest... Bug-ger assault team mates expect you to cap in conquest... You comply and cap Theta and hide under it thinking you are safe...
I see.. Hmm... Enemy capping Theta.. Arty timer goes off... I ARTY the cap itself on the high point... Cool thing about this is..
Unless you are in 3rd person... You will never see the red smoke above your head... Boom Boom Boom !
Anyone in Theta with too little head armour dies...

Something like this..
Oh it is hard to see red smoke in Thermal too.

Damn... After.. Watching.. Edmister stream... Yeah.. Laser lights are sad... I am starting to be complacent by using these lower risk lower risk, long range builds..
Time to go back to my roots again to the Medium laser Jenner and be sneaky around PPC-AC,LRM boating bug-gers... That's where real skill is to be found...

Edited by ShinVector, 07 May 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#57 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 29 March 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

So here's the question, does anyone else have fun running the 4X? I want to make this a unique mech among my arsenal but I also don't want to feel useless when I pilot it.

2*ML + 2*MG + SRM6 Artemis. Sounds good for me.

#58 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostShinVector, on 07 May 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

I am not sure whether you used the word invincible but I invisible... People tend to lower their guard with ECM.. Even I am guilty of the this bad habit.

Good light pilots build good mechs period. Need to be able withstand at least a 30 point alpha anywhere on your mech.
There and many evil uses to arty/strike...

Eg. You are the only light in conquest... Bug-ger assault team mates expect you to cap in conquest... You comply and cap Theta and hide under it thinking you are safe...
I see.. Hmm... Enemy capping Theta.. Arty timer goes off... I ARTY the cap itself on the high point... Cool thing about this is..
Unless you are in 3rd person... You will never see the red smoke above your head... Boom Boom Boom !
Anyone in Theta with too little head armour dies...

Something like this..
Oh it is hard to see red smoke in Thermal too.

Damn... After.. Watching.. Edmister stream... Yeah.. Laser lights are sad... I am starting to be complacent by using these lower risk lower risk, long range builds..
Time to go back to my roots again to the Medium laser Jenner and be sneaky around PPC-AC,LRM boating bug-gers... That's where real skill is to be found...

Or you could -not- play conquest and/or not be the PUG team's little servant (that's not fun no matter what you're driving)... If you're the only light and go cap by yourself, they don't need arty to kill you. A jenner or firestarter finds you and you're likely dead anyway if the rest of the team isn't close by.

#59 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

I run my 4X with 245XL engine (250 is prob better, but I had a 245XL lying around), 2 LLas and 2MG.

With the 2LLas you snipe - since you are small, enemy hits seldom back.
In the last phases of the game, in the brawling, you can add MGs to the armor-less targets.

Just a few days ago I won a match in caustic alone agains 5 Heavies.
Granted, at 2:6 a AC40 jager helped a lot with de-armoring 4 of the enemies CT, but in the end it was the sniping combined with low target size and faster movement that made it possible to kill them all. The last 2 got me cornered, but the MGs took the last one.

#60 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

The 2xERLL was pretty effective, but I switched mine back to 2xPPC. I need it to play differently from my 3L and 2xPPC does that. It's still hot as hell, and you're sometimes just running for your life against smarter light pilots, but when you score a 5-6 kill game, it's a pretty good feeling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users