So I Just Finished My First Battletech Novel....

35 replies to this topic

#21 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 12 April 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

PHT I want to apologize for my rudeness earlier. I was having a very bad day and did not mean to come across so violent.

NP man. :)

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

How did Missiles hit his Right torso and right and and let leg.. BUT MISS THE RIGHT LEG!?

Probably because he was aiming for center of mass, which means scatter-shot weapons (anything using the cluster hits table) will spread shots all across the side of the target facing you.

Edited by Pht, 16 April 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#22 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm about a third way through Mercenary's Star and it's already a whole lot more interesting - and grim - that the first one.

#23 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Helmstif all I can suggest is don't stop reading :)
I read a few of the originals back in the day plundered from the local library but decided to read everything from scratch. So far that's 28 of the original series this year!
Admittedly I've gone a bit backwards by reading all but one of the Dark Age lot last year.

In many cases it's very much like watching an action movie where logic doesn't always matter and over analysis will just make your noggin ache. Only one book was a struggle, where over description dominated and stymied the flow, but even then the finale was still worth the read.

What I love is the definite sense of time flowing the more you read. Multiple perspectives are often covered in different books, characters are not always author exclusive, units reappear throughout the timeline and seemingly unassociated stories are later woven into the tapestry of the greater Battletech Universe.
Oh and yes, while this is not Game of Thrones, the passage of time brings new life and death to all factions. Enjoy characters while you can as this many factions, with this many leaders and so many supporting protagonists all vying for one thing means it ain't always pretty!

Edited by Vimeous, 16 June 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#24 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

I always liked the sense of progression in the Gray Death Legion books. Grayson starts off as a single soldier running about on foot pointing inferno launchers at locusts and ends up owning a planet and commanding a regiment before losing it all in a Game of Thrones style bloodbath.

The Btech universe is basically GoT in space.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users