Learn 2 Steamroll

21 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Have you been steamrolled constantly and wondered how the enemy team does it so easily?

Has your team led by a considerable margin and somehow still manage to lose the game?

Have you been called a coward and been called to "L2P" and have no idea why?

Look no further

It has little to do with skill than knowing when to be conservative and when to go balls out.

Whenever your team has a considerable lead, at least 5 by my book. It's a signal for you to ball up with the rest of the team and charge in, focusing fire on every enemy that shows up. No more hill humping, no more jump sniping, no more dancing in and out of cover.

The "signal" is when you see team mates moving or forward or something as easy as someone typing "group up and roll them" or even just "roll them" in team chat.

If you do not move when this happens, it increases the chances of your team losing because your team is now split and the people leading the charge are going to die if you don't move with them. Hence explaining why you can lose a game with a huge lead and why people are calling you out.

Nothing frustrates people more than lose a 9-3 game only to see the last guy on the team is a 98% Atlas still hiding behind cover peering round the corner, taking random potshots at enemy mechs. Don't be that guy.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

"Hit them" "Charge" "Now's your chance" are also similar cue words to take a hint and charge.

I find 4 to be the magic number.

Also, there are simply opportunities created by players that need to be taken advantage of. Example if a couple of players got on the other side of the enemy and has drawn the attention of 6 or more enemies, that means you have 10 players ready to charge and only 6 people who are blocking you. Slaughter them already and stop hiding like a coward!

Wait too long, and you'll be 10 against 11 to 12 instead of 10 against 6.

#3 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

And yet this never happens. You push, thinking "hey, we're up four, we have the advantage". Where are the other assaults?

Yup. Sitting behind coward's ridge.

Oddly enough, if the standard "push" "roll them" "we have numbers, push" etc doesn't work. I've found engaging caps lock and "PUSH COWARDS" or words to that effect works pretty well.

But then, I've always been led to believe that the most effective use for an Atlas is to sit behind a ridge. Exposing pretty much all your torso to fire an AC20 round (at 700m, if it doesn't hit the ridge you're making sweet love to) then ducking down again. You're saying this isn't the way to play the most armoured mech in the game?
Mind. Blown.

#4 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

It's why they really need to add in-game VOIP as standard, or at the very least some canned chat commands. WoT has the "help", the "keep an eye out on map sector Y" and the "target X" that you can throw out, which I found to be very useful when I was playing that more regularly.

Sure, you can go to the map and give commands, but it's cumbersome, and leaves you exposed while you do it. WoT allowed you to just click a couple times on the minimap, which meant you didn't need to break focus.

#5 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 08 April 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Have you been steamrolled constantly and wondered how the enemy team does it so easily?

Its not the enemy team, its terrible match making software.

I dont see any "How we steamroll the other side so easily" threads

When I drop into a pug, I check alpha lance and try and hook up with them. If they start to scatter I immediately look for any group and stick with them, exploiting flanks.

THATS exactly what experienced players do. You dont get that reading the chat bar, or memorizing threads here.
IF ELO worked as intended, You'd NEVER see four ECM mechs on one side and none on the other. You'd never get 10 scatterbrained noobs on one side and half a dozen observant, situationally aware tactful players on the other side.
THAT is what makes a roll.
I drop with 2-3 of some extraordinarily brilliant players (800+ damage 70% of all matches) and we get rolled?
right there at the end, our lance carried the whole team, with kills and damage, yet we got rolled?
ORrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, we'll roll the other side and you can see one or two players on that side that did real well while most got sub 200 damage?

ELO decides the outcome of the match the moment you click ready -its already been decided who has won that match.
All we can do, is beg for new mechs and fix (insert one) LRM, SRM, PPC, heat, blah twist, conquest, blah small lasers etc etc

In game voice would drive me far, far away.
cause no doubt, they'd forget to make an option NOT to listen to children and folks you wouldn't talk to in public, let alone the mumblers, the over volumed, static hell I've seen in other "in game" comms.

#6 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

I don't mind my stats. But i this whole matchmaking is beyond annoying. It could be me, but i always end up in teams with alot of pilots who are new and inexperienced. Now i do not mind the new pilots but i do mind the league i play in. I want to play with more experienced players and not only the new pilots. When i move to a strategic location, the half of our team is wiped out and i am one of the few left behind to damage.

I just want to have a system where i can play with people who are more experienced with the game and that i can finally say 'Hey, that was a insane match!'.

In fact i have lost today more then 20 matches. Only 5 of them were wins.

Edited by Sarlic, 09 April 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 09 April 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

It's why they really need to add in-game VOIP as standard.

You know UI 2.0 has added the C3 VOIP option into the options recently. Tried it yet? I haven't had the courage to so far...

#8 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

I think on average you might be right but it's too simplistic to say if you are 4 up all you need to do is charge. You're not going to win regardless of any other factor. I've seen teams go a few up and assume they are going to win only to charge through a bottleneck, or across open ground when the other team has more range, or at 'mechs that are much fresher than the are, or at 'mechs that despite being down on numbers are up on tonnage, and lose. You have to judge each scenario on it's own. Going down 4 doesn't mean you can't come back to win and going 4 up doesn't guarantee a win, either.

Go 4 up and do the right thing tactically and then you're guaranteed the win.

#9 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 April 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

You know UI 2.0 has added the C3 VOIP option into the options recently. Tried it yet? I haven't had the courage to so far...

No, I didn't know that. I'll have to take a look and see if it's any more intuitive.

My brother and I played with C3 awhile ago, and found it a lot more cumbersome to the in-game VOIP you find on things like L4D. What ended up happening is that we'd sit down to play games for an evening, and MW:O would get crossed of the potential play list because we didn't want to bother with it, so we'd sit and play Portal 2 for a couple hours instead.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I don't think it will be more intuitive. The question is whether or not having it on will cause the game to crash more than not. If it works at all. And then I'll let them do all the intuitive or unintuitive tweaks they want. Last time I did use it it's like a teamspeak / messenger.

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Does it actually do something now?

#12 Photec

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostSarlic, on 09 April 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

I just want to have a system where i can play with people who are more experienced with the game and that i can finally say 'Hey, that was a insane match!'.

In fact i have lost today more then 20 matches. Only 5 of them were wins.

Do you PUG alot? I consistently have "Insane matches" because I drop with DHB. Maybe 1/10 of all my drops are PUG-drops. Sure, sometimes you get a scrub team that is either insanely ballsy, more timid than a rodent after a 2 day methrun, who can't hit the broad side of an Awesome or who have heard that LRMs are insanse so they load up and dump their load into mountainsides. It happens. Most of the time though, I get matches where it's balls to the walls action, the teams pull their weight, and when we lose, which happens, it's usually because the opponents were able to deal more and better damage, be it from LRM teamwork, poptarts, flanks or a combination of all of the above.

Communication and cooperation is key. I am not a very good player, but my W/L and K/D is both around 2.0, mostly due to being able to communicate and work together with my lance.

Hope you get to hook up with someone, because this game deserves to be played as a team, not as a lone wolf :)

#13 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostPhotec, on 09 April 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Do you PUG alot? I consistently have "Insane matches" because I drop with DHB. Maybe 1/10 of all my drops are PUG-drops. Sure, sometimes you get a scrub team that is either insanely ballsy, more timid than a rodent after a 2 day methrun, who can't hit the broad side of an Awesome or who have heard that LRMs are insanse so they load up and dump their load into mountainsides. It happens. Most of the time though, I get matches where it's balls to the walls action, the teams pull their weight, and when we lose, which happens, it's usually because the opponents were able to deal more and better damage, be it from LRM teamwork, poptarts, flanks or a combination of all of the above.

Communication and cooperation is key. I am not a very good player, but my W/L and K/D is both around 2.0, mostly due to being able to communicate and work together with my lance.

Hope you get to hook up with someone, because this game deserves to be played as a team, not as a lone wolf :)

Yesterday i had a K/D of 2.9. Now i have a K/D of 1.95. Not that i care or matters, but it shows how these matches were played. Only play solo yeah. Only in weekends i try group up with my unit.

I just want to play with other more experienced people... that's all i ask.

Edited by Sarlic, 10 April 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#14 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

View PostThatDawg, on 09 April 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

IF ELO worked as intended, You'd NEVER see four ECM mechs on one side and none on the other.

What does Elo have to do with ECM distribution? :) Do you remotely know how Elo works?

#15 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:10 AM

ELO decides the outcome of the match the moment you click ready -its already been decided who has won that match.

If you truly believe that, you should not play this game.

#16 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

Posted Image

#17 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

Have to try that and see if it works or not....

#18 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:24 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 08 April 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Nothing frustrates people more than lose a 9-3 game only to see the last guy on the team is a 98% Atlas still hiding behind cover peering round the corner, taking random potshots at enemy mechs. Don't be that guy.

You know what frustrates me more? The reason why assault mechs are acutally sitting behind cover, afraid to move into open area. The glaring flaws in basic gameplay mechanics lead to this behavior.

#19 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

[...]
All we can do, is beg for new mechs and fix (insert one) LRM, SRM, PPC, heat, blah twist, conquest, blah small lasers etc etc
[...]

Well not ELO but the matchmakers functions yeah, I believe that helps to have frustrating battles!
Fortunately me and a few of my mates use this as a motivation to push ourselves.
There's nothing better than being the last 2-3-4 man alive, without arms or cored torsos and getting to waste 6-8 and sometimes even 12 when it all seemed lost. And this is why we don't just dc when we start a match and see the other people don't have a clue on how to move or what to do.

But 90% of the time we end up those poorly made matches with a thought that we should of dc'd and see what comes on the next match.

Right now I've figured a ratio of 1-4 of matches where I'm placed on a match that has one or 2 more players on my team that know what they are doing and the rest of the team has a bit of experience playing.

Me and others are still waiting to see a real fix to the matchmaker so we don't waste 1-2 minutes waiting for a match to load just to get our asses handed to us by a regular team, while having 70%+ of the players on our team that have no clue of what they are doing or how they should move.

When we had 8v8 matches, a 4 man team could easily turn a match from 0-4 to 8-4(5,6,7), but now, if a group of 4 gets placed with a brainless bunch of 8, it's just near impossible to turn a match when it is 0-8 like it often happens.

This is to point out what i think was the turning point of the flaws shown by the matchmaker. At 8v8 they were there, but people could still battle through, now with 12 the flaws are just too obvious and PGI should use this to learn how to improve a system that has always been flawed.

Edited by flipover, 10 April 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#20 Guitar Czar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

If it's a continuous happening that everyone is dropping in PuG's receiving the newest and most unaware players possible on their teams wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the team you are fighting has at least some proportionate amount of new players? If this weren't true wouldn't there be someone here laughing their ass off saying they are consistently dropping with competent players? I'm not saying I haven't been steam rolled, and had times where it seemed I lost match after match and had no chance to effect the outcome, but this just seems like basic logic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users