Lost A Video Card To Mechlab

41 replies to this topic

#21 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

I love the AMD vs nVidia arguments

Hey buddy, you like white chocolate or milk chocolate?
Milk chocolate?

...You must be some kinda jerkoff who's cheap and stupid

Edited by cSand, 17 April 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#22 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

White chocolate isn't even chocolate.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

A small bit of advice for video cards.

Radeon.

Breakdown.
First digit: The series number. (7th series).
Second digit: the generation. (9th generation).
Third digit, the quality. (5 or lower being awful, 9 being highest).

A 7790 is far superior to a 7950. A 6870 is to some extent better than a 7950.

For GT, the first letter is the series and the second is the quality.

GT 590 is better than 660, though the 6th series is better compatible with newer games than the 5th is.

(I might have the specific indicators off, but basically the 'last changing number higher' is universally better.)
Edit: See someone else's quote of me further down; some of it was off.

Edited by Koniving, 30 April 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#24 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 08 April 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

Becareful , was in mechlab. Was idling in there when artifacts started popping up and my GPU died. Radeon 7950. Off to the ovens.

Holy shit. I also lost my Radeon 7950 2 weeks ago during my MWO session. :)

#25 Graystone1

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

OMG
IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANY OF US

I"M NEVER USING MECHLAB AGAIN!

:)

Edited by Graystone1, 17 April 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#26 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 April 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

GT 590 is better than 660, though the 6th series is better compatible with newer games than the 5th is.
The x90 cards are dual-GPU cards. GT would be the baseline cards generally less than or equal to x40, and GTX would be the gaming cards. Starting at GTX, the card needs supplemental power from the 6 or 8 pin connectors. There's also the Ti suffix, which means the card is very similar to the non-Ti version but has more cores enabled due to better binning or something.

There was also GTS for a while, I think they were designed for a professional CAD-type setting or maybe were low profile, but now there aren't any current cards that bear that prefix.

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

View PostThatBum42, on 17 April 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

Thank you. Wasn't so sure on Nvidia cards. When I got this computer Nvidia cards were just so much more expensive that I kinda gave up on them for a while.

#28 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

I find that AMD's frame rated generally are more chaotic, albeit higher in most cases. My Nvidia GTX experience, the cards tend to be more smooth or consistently consistent, maybe a few FPS below AMD's Radeon MAX fps, but generally higher Min FPS, I have always thought Nvidia's Drivers were superior but they too release borked drivers..........Its the name of the game.
AMD CPUs run lower MAx temps, While Nvidias GPUs temps are almost as high as AMD's flame war all day. no point, they both do the same job........

#29 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

Back on topic...

From what I can see, the mech lab is capped at 60fps with very little fluctuation. In-game I get over 100FPS on most maps and high 90s on the more intensive few. With tons of mechs and action, I still average at least 80fps. In the lab, though, I never go above 60-ish (I've seen 60, 61, 59). Not sure this is really a valid concern, but I'll try to pay attention to the heat this weekend.

#30 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostThatBum42, on 17 April 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

My understanding is that AMD cards are technologically superior to Nvidia cards, but Nvidia has better software support/drivers for their hardware. The OP's card is just a bad example. This is also why people say AMD cards are more suited for GPGPU or bitcoin applications.

Not that it's terribly relevant to this thread, but the reason AMD are superior to Nvidia as far as bitcoin/litecoin mining goes is because AMD uses many lightweight stream processor and nvidia uses fewer heavyweight ones. The algorithm to mine coins is (relatively) simple, so the heavyweight processors on the Nvidia aren't fully utilized, whereas the AMD has more processors running the simple algorithm in parallel so more work is done. (Anyone feel free to PM me about cryptocoins, I'll even toss some Dogecoins your way!)

OP, sorry for the threadjack, glad to hear your card is back up and running!

Back to you in the studio, Bob.

#31 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Radeon.

Breakdown.

(I might have the specific indicators off, but basically the 'last changing number higher' is universally better.)

Sorry to step into this but this is plain wrong!!!

The 7950 is a slightly less strong than the 7970 but superior to the 7790 or 6850.
It is the second best in the 7xxx line single GPU Highend Cards.

Take a look under Nomenclature:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon

Edited by Thorqemada, 20 April 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Wonder why the OP is doing so bad then?
Mine runs the game perfectly and it's meant to be a crossfire. (The twin died).

#33 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I can attest that I have a heat/GPU stress issue with Mech Lab if I loiter too much. AMD 5870 jumps up to 80%+ utilization and heat slowly creeps up, was just now at 80C. Catalyst 14.2 drivers. I think it may be the particle/fog effects. Idle Temp out of game is 46C and max -even while in match- is only 84C. YMMV -numbers from MSI Afterburner

#34 Moshen

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Havent had it kill anything but last night I noticed my fans started going nuts while sitting in the mechlab for a while.

And to everyone who doesnt think this can happen it can. SC2's start up screen was doing this when it first came out. Of course it was attached to an issue with drivers not telling specific cards to work properly, but drivers are only as up to date as they can get them and as games patch drivers sometimes have to as well.

#35 MrYoda28

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

I disagree with all the people who said that it has nothing to do with the mechlab, because it does.
My GPU runs at ~75 degrees celsius when in game, when I stay in mechlab for more than 1-2minutes, it goes up to 90 degrees and slowly raises. I have set an alarm on 95 degrees and it happens pretty often in the mechlab. So I would strongly suggest people to check their GPU temperature in mechlab, just to be sure it won't turn your gpu in a crisp.
Don't know why that is happening but it does for some people, and it's not a Radeon thing, because I am running NVidia.

#36 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Radeon.

Breakdown.

Edit: See someone else's quote of me further down; some of it was off.

almost all of it was off. there is no logic to gpu naming scemes anymore, if there ever was any, gotta look for in depth reviews if you want to compare.

anyway, software shouldn't be able to kill a gpu, starcraft's menu was a bit like furmark though :D. Some dusty gpu's from both vendors didn't survive.

Edited by Flapdrol, 30 April 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#37 SortaSane

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Well, I was looking around the forums for reports of a problem like this, so I'm adding my experience to the thread

My GPU is a Geforce GTX 275 that runs this game with no trouble. The only place I've seen anything visually odd is in the Mechlab, specifically when the hangar view tilts to the left and puts a menu over the wall illuminated by a flashing red light. If I was looking at the mech list or trying a new loadout, anything that put a menu full of icons over aforementioned red light, the menu would sometimes dissolve into artifacts and the only way I could fix it was to alt-tab out of the game.

That problem was manageable, but last night my GPU lost it so bad my computer BSOD'd and I had to swap out the 275 for an older video card to make it work again. I don't run a temperature monitor normally, but I've seen a video card fry before and I thought this card was done. After giving it a day, I re-installed it and it worked after a few false starts, but I'm still considering just giving up MWO altogether to keep my computer intact while I look for an upgrade to the 275.

Something about the Mechlab is overtaxing video cards and needs a serious examination.

Edited by SortaSane, 01 May 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#38 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostSortaSane, on 01 May 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Well, I was looking around the forums for reports of a problem like this, so I'm adding my experience to the thread

My GPU is a Geforce GTX 275 that runs this game with no trouble. The only place I've seen anything visually odd is in the Mechlab, specifically when the hangar view tilts to the left and puts a menu over the wall illuminated by a flashing red light. If I was looking at the mech list or trying a new loadout, anything that put a menu full of icons over aforementioned red light, the menu would sometimes dissolve into artifacts and the only way I could fix it was to alt-tab out of the game.

That problem was manageable, but last night my GPU lost it so bad my computer BSOD'd and I had to swap out the 275 for an older video card to make it work again. I don't run a temperature monitor normally, but I've seen a video card fry before and I thought this card was done. After giving it a day, I re-installed it and it worked after a few false starts, but I'm still considering just giving up MWO altogether to keep my computer intact while I look for an upgrade to the 275.

Something about the Mechlab is overtaxing video cards and needs a serious examination.

Run an aggressive fan profile on your GPU..

Just plugging a Video Card into a PCI-e slot and installing drivers is never enough.
There are a few programs out there that will let your create a custom fan profile for your card.

Edited by Odins Fist, 01 May 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#39 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

By default, MWO caps frames per second at 50. Specifically so that this does not happen.

Yes, for some reason, very few games seem to gleefully run your hardware at full tilt and hundreds of frames per second and somehow prevent your system from slowing to cool itself, but MWO is not one of them.

#40 Kendricke

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Similar issue. GTX590 with aggressive fan profile and additional cooling.

Prior to April patches, rarely had an issue with MWO. Card tends to run hot (idles around 50C), but never more than ~75C with maxed settings in most games running at 1080. I'm running latest drivers.
Now, just idling in Mechlab will heat the card up to around 100C before it starts to throttle out and in-game temps are well over 90C. I've used both EVGA PrecisionX and MSI Afterburner for fan profiles/monitoring since this issue started. I've gone so far as to remove side of case and run a room fan directly at card/box. No dice. Tried addressing this through reducing effects/video settings. Switched between DX11 and DX9. No dice so far.

I have no issues in other games right now with maxed/near maxed settings (Tomb Raider, BF4, Titanfall, D3, etc).

I'll be upgrading the card either way, but in the meantime, game is unplayable for me.

Edited by Kendricke, 04 May 2014 - 08:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users