Current Trial Mech Reviews

12 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

Going to update this as and when Trial Mechs rotates. My personal opinions on current trial mechs

Jenner JR7-F(C)

Very nice, almost optimised build. Very forgiving as it allows you to get out of trouble if you position wrongly. Highly recommended for beginners.

Skills Trained:
- Lasers
- Weapon Grouping
- Jump Jets

Hunchback HBK-4P(C)

Very deadly build with 9 Medium Lasers. Slightly less forgiving due to huge right torso. Need to group weapons 6/3 to avoid ghost heat. Played as a support fire mech. Hang with the big boys and help them focus down targets. Fast enough to be fairly survivable.

Skills Trained:
- Lasers
- Weapon Grouping
- Torso Twisting
- Ghost Heat Management

Catapult CPLT-A1(C)

Walking deathtrap. Good choice of weapons but unoptimised build with STD engine and no jumpjets. Why would you not put jump jets on a jump capable mech? Also, no back up weapons. Terrible hitboxes, easily stripped, very unforgiving. Not recommended for anyone, especially not beginners.

Skills Trained:
- Range management.
- Locking on targets (all weapon systems on mech require locks)
- Positioning

Victor VTR-9S(C)

A little too slow for a Victor but still manageable, decent firepower with UACs. But unoptimised build with Medium Pulse Lasers and SRMs. Fragile XL engine means needing to torso twist

Skills Trained:
- Multiple weapon groups at different ranges
- Leading shots with Ballistics
- UAC jamming management
- SRM hitreg management
- Jump jets
- Torso twisting

Edited by knightsljx, 16 April 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#2 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

Wait - they seriously didn't put jump jets on the Catapult trial mech?! Hahaha... that, and the XL engine and ghost heat on that trial Stalker... haha... ugh... I give up.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Good review and good idea!

I think 6/2/1 is the right grouping on the 4P though. Arm/head pair badly on that mech. That's why some players run that build with eight. 6/2 and one more DHS maximizes cooling and grouping efficiency. Without skills unlocked that's a HOT mech. Forgetting you even have the head laser until you lose the hunch is my recommendation for heat management.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

I am a random lunatic, and I greatly approve this thread!

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Very good idea OP, in fact there should be just a little touch of info on each trial or champion we have so far and a quick little guide on each (I created some before, have to dig them out somewhere). Let me see if I can pitch in with a bit of info.

So after a bit of digging and gathering my thoughts:

Trial and Champion mech guide:

SDR-5K(C): This is a light scout mech. Use ER LL to snipe from a long distance, but when seeing a cored torso/part of a mech and close enough range, use MGs to fire at them. Remember, they are just like lasers, ignore the MG pallets. Also, always keep forward, and torso twist to survive and not lose the torso. Not a terrible mech overall but there’s better. Best grouping of weapons is ER LL group 1 MGs group 2.

JR7-F(C): This is a light skirmisher gunboat mech. Use ML at the 500 or less range, but use SL if you are starting to heat too much. Go around toward those that are separated, as you can quickly pick off any of the enemies. Group 1 would be ML; group 2 would be SL. JJs will save you and you can maneuver fast. Make sure you constantly move and also protect your CT front and back, as the Jenner’s CT is slightly larger than normal.

CDA-2A(C): This is a light skirmisher gunboat mech. Very similar to the Jenner, it has more ML now and they’re in the torsos. Use the arms, as pure shields to protect you, XL again so don’t stand still and always keep moving. Also, group your ML into 2s between each torso so when you get heated, shoot 2 MLs at a time and don’t overheat.

BJ-1(C): This is a medium jump brawler mech. JJs and torso twist is everything on this mech. Aim up and down on the AC20 and don’t ever miss with the AC20. ML are your backup weapons when you finish your ammo. JJ everywhere and groups will be group 1 ML group 2 AC20. Very friendly mech when you know how to use it.

HBK-4P(C): This is a medium brawler mech. It’s very hot, but if you can group the lasers properly, you can possibly destroy the enemy quickly at knife fights. The groupings of this will be group 1 for 2 of the arm lasers, group 2 with head laser along with 2 other lasers, group 3 and 4 with more lasers. This will allow you to fire 7 lasers in different time periods from the hunch, and use those as the main force. Your arm lasers will be secondary. As always, torso twist and always use your left side as a shield and your right side as the main knife fighting tool. It’s strong, but you need torso twist.

CN9-A(C): This is a medium brawler mech. This mech relies all on the zombie ability. You should always use your arms to block and remember to protect your legs, as those are very easy to take off quickly. Use dead legs to protect your alive one, and use arms until you can’t, then use right torso, then left torso, as your SRMs are in your left torso. Missile bay door button is /, which is needed in order to fire SRMs faster. MPL should be group 1, and SRMs should be group 2. Once again, like the hunchie, you need torso twist.

DRG-5N(C): This is a heavy sniper mech. Arms lock must be turned off with this mech, as you need it to aim with your gauss and LL. Gauss requires a charge, but don’t spend time charging it and picking a target, quickly push the fire button and let go quickly. Don’t let this arm blow up or you’d likely die to XL issue. Always torso twist, as if you don’t you might lose CT or the XL sides. Group 1 LL and group 2 Gauss.

CPLT-A1(C): This is a heavy fire support mech. This is better suited as a close support mech around 180m to 250m area is perfect. You need to get locks on people in order to be able to fire at people, and make sure you fire LRMs at long range up to 180m or the minimum range, don’t fire over 1000m, SSRMs when you get within 250m range. Also, be smart when to fire with LRMs, as you don’t want to hit a wall or mountain or something when firing the LRMs. Group 1 LRMs group 2 SSRMs. Push / for missile doors opening, as this will allow you to fire faster, but you can close them when needed.

CTF-3D(C): This is a heavy brawler mech. There is a nice shotgun and LL and ML. LL are solely for sniping and picking the weak, LBX is nice for heated engagements and needed cooling, ML only for picking on lights in a brawl. LBX is very spread so try to use it only in closer ranges, but it’s still very far in aiming. Group 1 ML, Group 2 LL, Group 3 LBX. While torso twisting isn’t always needed here, it’s best to do so. JJs can get you out of sticky situations, but they’re very weak in jumping.

VTR-9S(C): This is an assault brawler mech. This mech requires the usability of JJs, as you need to use it to fire at enemies. Also, you need to use Ultras in chain fire, as this will allow you to shake the crud out of the enemy. This will allow you some leeway from jamming, but still isn’t perfect. The mech is a bit sluggish, but JJs should help a ton. SRMs only close range and same as MPL. Lastly, group 1 should be MPL, group 2 Ultras, and group 3 SRMs.

STK-3F(C): This is an assault fire support mech. You must push / for missile bay doors open as with Centurion and Catapult. Chain fire, I cannot express this enough, your missiles to get off ghost heat. This is extremely important, so you can suppress people with LRMs. Also, you have an XL engine, which is awkward, so you have to protect both torsos at all times. Remain in the back so you can survive longer, and use TAG so you can get locks at all times. Ask for assistance and defense and spotting. Group 1 with TAG, group 2 MLs, group 3 with chain fired LRMs.

HGN-733C(C): This is an assault brawler mech. You must rely on the strength of the torso twist and protect your laser and AC10. It can snipe well and is extremely powerful when you brawl and snipe in the middle range. Gain locks with the SSRMs and shoot them against lights and other mechs. When ER LL become too hot, use AC10 and SSRMs. Group 1 with ER LL, group 2 AC10, and group 3 SSRMs.

AS7-RS(C): This is an assault fire support mech. Gauss is nice to support against enemies and once again like the Dragon, it’s a strong tool to snipe against people and you need to protect that torso or you’d likely become cored. LRMs are your main tool to destroy enemies and you need to use that in order to do the most damage. Lasers are your backup. Group 1 for ML, group 2 Gauss, and group 3 LRMs.

Rank of the trials thus far:
Better and more user friendly trials: JR7-F(C), CDA-2A(C), BJ-1(C), CN9-A(C), CTF-3D(C), VTR-9S(C).
Good (not as good as those above though) trials: HBK-4P(C), DRG-5N(C), HGN-733C(C), and AS7-RS(C).
Decent trials: SDR-5K(C), CPLT-A1(C), STK-3F(C).

Edit: Give me a bit of time to edit this, will be right back. I like playing the trials once in a while, so I can either group with others with similar or same mechs, or so I can just play with variety (plus many assume your a noob so they ignore you heavily.)

Second edit: It's taking me a bit of time to do this, maybe I'll update this post later today. I'll probably even use a word doc to place this, it's pretty large.

Edited by luxebo, 12 April 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#6 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Bumping as I just edited my long post.

Edited by luxebo, 12 April 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#7 Sofiya Deschain

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

The Victor and the Jenner are the shining stars of this batch of trial mechs.

#8 Flaming oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

I think your being unkind the catapult when I first started a week or so back I had the most success in that trial mech yup its slow and you don't really want to find your self in a brawl. But its hardly a death trap , try to find a spot and fire those lrms , use your srms when you run out of lrms if you find your self in a brawl use the srms, If you find yourself outnumbered (if its your fault for not sticking with the team.. well... ) Don't bother trying yo run unless you have allies close odds are they can out run you or kill you before you can get away. Just do as much damage as you can hope you get bk up if not clean the floor.

#9 Graves24

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

I played with the hunchback during my cadet times. It was easier to hit targets with it because of the shoulder mounted hardpoints. Victor and catapult were a pretty big let down from a newcomers perspective because the heaviest mech was only a bit more durable than the other mechs and the catapult required lock on which the game never explained (I learned about it because I saw it once in the tooltips)

#10 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

View PostFlaming oblivion, on 12 April 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

I think your being unkind the catapult when I first started a week or so back I had the most success in that trial mech

Same thing here. I enjoyed playing it (and still do since I have no missile boat of my own). It taught me how to use missiles. Sure I died horribly sometimes, must most of the time I managed to do 200+ damage which is huge for me ;)

But in a way your post is a good news : it means that there is much better missile boats, so more fun around the corner.

Cheers

Edited by Tereva, 13 April 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#11 Whoops

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 83 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

I don't like the Cata-A1 simply because I'm of the opinion that you should NEVER go into a battle in MechWarrior without some sort of energy (aka, no ammo) backup weapon. The trial 'Mech wasn't bad, per se...at least they didn't simply put a ton of LRMs on it and call it a day. Having said that, BAP is only effective on a single ECM, and if you're that close and having to use streaks...you better hope you have a friend backing you up, because your spread damage isn't going to compare to your enemy's unless you're fighting a streak Huginn or something. Add in a second enemy ECM and you might as well jump into Mount Doom.

Edit: I'm aware that the Huginn doesn't have ECM. That was simply a damage comparison.

Edited by Cyron Zarva, 13 April 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

An insert for the Catapult.
Skills learned: ECM helplessness.
(Or something to that effect.) ;)

#13 Whoops

• PipPipPip