15 replies to this topic

#1 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

OK, so I am new to SSD hardware, but I couldn't pass up the deal on my new Crucial 240GB ($100!).

Anyway, I did all the tweaks for Win7 and getting the BIOS to run AHCI, but I didn't fresh install the OS or the other Apps, including MWO. I ghosted the drive from my WD 7200rpm platter drive. If I wiped it and reinstalled everything, would I see a perfomance boost in MWO or anything else, or did I do everything right?

Specs on my machine are a little older:

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T OCed to 3.2Ghz on air (42C max)
ASRock 970 Extreme 3 mobo
8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
EVGA Geforce 650ti 2GB
EVGA Supernova 750w modular PSU

I know I need to upgrade, but trying to save to move to Intel. I bumped the CPU to 3.2Ghz because I know MWO hates anything below 3.0Ghz, but I didn't want to go so high I had to by liquid cooling. I usually run things on DX9 straight medium with no AA. On most maps I start out with about 60fps, but in a brawl it drops down to 25-30fps at 1920x1080. I don't really want to drop my res, as I am pretty sure the GPU isn't the issue (or is it?).

If it is not the ghosted SSD, what is it? The CPU? GPU? I knwo I really need to upgrade, just thought I throw this out if anyone can help with some tips. I have not tried a customer user.cfg, but if it helps...

Edited by Golrar, 15 April 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

You could try to disable 2 cores to make that Thuban 4 cores....that would OC higher and run cooler............3.5ghz+, It would be safe to assume that your bottleneck is that CPU........untill MWO can actually use threads like cryengine was designed to, it will perform like crap, CPU threads get traffic jammed with information because This implementation has bad thread affinity settings......Always overloads thread #1 1st, than frames drop like a stone.....or bad habit..........or the way a crane drops a load when the cable snaps........
Your system is capable of playing every other game out there just fine, except for MWO, you need I7 OC'd and GPU with teraflops upon teraflops of compute power.

to lock vsync at 60FPS@1080P LMAO, you would need OC'd Ivy,or Haswell I5,I7 with a heavy OC....4.5+ghz....and 7970+,gtx 670+ than u might only notice the heavy drops before they vsync back up./

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 15 April 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#3 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

Yeah your CPU is a tad on the low side, but that GTX 650 ti is killing you.... 128 bit memory interface, enough said.

http://www.hwcompare...gtx-650-ti-2gb/ <--- Click that.

A SSD will help load times and such, but your Video card and CPU being 3.2ghz is killing MWO for you.
FYI, i'm NOT recommending GTX 560 Ti to you, i'm using it as an example, i'm still running a 560 ti until I pay a few more bills off, and I have no issue with MWO, but i'm hearing more and more about the GTX 650 ti NOT being a great upgrade.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Odins Fist, 16 April 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#4 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yeah speculation and forums scream 650Ti is probably useful for people under 1920X1080P would probably run 1366X768 with vigor. maxed out settings eyecandy......but 1080P is going to Lay the smack down on that GPU!

2 or 3 of us Liao TS3 have gone to SSD in last 3 weeks.......some older gen systems have stabilized their frame rates....improve min fps. loads are most definitely faster....I haven't notice entirely entirely too much difference in FPS (8350@4.8ghz-LC, 2133DDR3 ,1TB WD black was old drive......Adata 256GB SSD Premier Pro series

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 15 April 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

When one ghosts a drive like that, you have to remember to put the new drive onto the motherboard SATA patch the old drive was using …

I had MWO on my SSD for a while, and I didn't feel an improvement: All the annoying waits seem to involve the servers getting around to non-combat requests.

You'd best make some log files using HWiNFO+FRAPS to sus out your bottleneck: I dought anyone has seen enough different builds to just glance at yours and decree a "simple fix" …

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

You could try installing the nivida beta drivers some people I know have see a 10-15% increase in FPS with this. use ddu to remove the old drivers prior to installing the beta drivers. also make sure c6 state is turned off in the bios.

Then try this.

Actually, you do need to install Directx 9c. Vista/7/8 comes with DX 10/11 and a base version of dx9. The issue is that MS does not include all the latest modules for dx 9c, nor are the DX10/11 backward compatible. Even a fresh XP install will require DX 9c installation for those updated modules.

DX 10/11 and DX 9c are located in their own subfolders, they do not overwrite each other. Programs and games are set to locate the necessary files from their respective location.

MWO currently utilizes ONLY dx9c files, thus the need to install dx 9c with either the dxsetup.exe (small file that downloads everything from MS) or the redistribution file (large file but useful if installing on several machines or need to reinstall to replace possible corrupted files).

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

Or

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

You will notice that it supports more than just XP.

Most games that come on a CD/DVD will also have a setup to install the updated modules by using one of the paths. For other games that are download only, they direct you to MS to download (using that site's bandwidth instead of their own) and perform the installation, from a trusted source ( hehe Microsoft..: )

then add this to your user cfg.

View PostGoose, on 30 March 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

sys_budget_fps = 30
sys_MaxFPS = 30
sys_spec_physics = 1
r_UsePOM = 0
r_silhouettePOM = 0
sys_budget_soundCPU = 5
sys_budget_videomem = X
Where "X" is the amount of RAM on your video card.

Keep you Particles, Shadows, and Environment down at low; You might be able to bump all the others to medium; Turn off the Damage Glow, but you can keep the PostAA.

DX11 was supposed to unload the CPU, but if it's done so for anybody, they ain't said so …

if you see that you are constantly hitting 30fps then increase these two lines by 5 if your still pegging 35fps then add 5 again and so on.

sys_budget_fps = 35
sys_MaxFPS = 35

#7 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the great help. I knew my CPU was a bottleneck, and I just dropped on a FX-8350 Black, couldn't resist the $199 price tag. And after researching Intel upgrades, I remembered why I always stuck with AMD. Intel is too confusing when doing a build, and way too expensive. I'll have to deal with the 650ti until I can drop another $200 on a GTX760 or better. I just want to keep from dropping so low in a brawl, which is when you really need the fps.

Oddly enough as you mention, I HAD a GTX560ti and upgraded to the GTX650ti when the old one went belly up. It was a budget buy, and I didn't read too much on it other than Hulk smash when PC not working.

Already using the beta NVidia drivers, which is why my fps is up to around 60-70 start of match. Used to be around 50 max.

I was not aware of the Win7 DX9 thing, so I guess I will also take care of that and the user.cfg issue.

I did put the SSD on the right SATA 6GB/s port like the platter was on.

#8 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:14 AM

The SSD is doing very little for your framerate. It's mostly improving loading times. Once the game assets are loaded into memory, it's up to the rest of the system to run the game well.

For example, my secondary system is a i7-950, GTX 570, 6GB DDR3 1600 build. MWO is installed on a painfully old and slow 300GB external Firewire 400 hard disk because the machine was cobbled together from obsolete spare parts from upgrading other builds. It takes ages to load a match (sometimes the match has already started before my client drops me ingame), but once that's done the game runs 50-60 FPS at Very High, because the CPU and GPU are good.

Call me old-fashioned, but I personally don't trust SSDs. Even with fancy wear-leveling, the limited write cycles scares me somewhat. So on my main machine I have two Caviar Black 1TBs in RAID0. It seems to be more than sufficient, because I'm usually the first to ready up. :)

Edited by ThatBum42, 16 April 2014 - 02:15 AM.

#9 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

I have daily backups onto my external WD 1TB drive. And I never actually wiped my WD platter.

I figured the game wasn't making calls to the drive during matches. And I do have extremely fast load times. Sometimes I am in the pregame lobby before it even shows me my OWN ping. lol

#10 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Just an update and again to say thanks for the help. I DLed the DX9 files and installed them, and I edited the user.cfg. I set the Max and budget FPS to 75 and I don't know if it is wishful thinking, but it seems to have helped greatly.

I tried lowering my rez, several different (ugly) settings, and noticed no performance increase. So for now I am running 1920x1080 with DX9 and all settings at med, except shadows at low and particles at low. I very rarely drop below 40fps now.

So again, thank you to the community for your assistance.

#11 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

You might want to try the Nvidia 337.5 beta driver. There are reports of massively improved performance in DX11 due to the new shader cache feature.

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

I'll look into it. At work now, don't know if I am already running those or not. I think my best option will be to upgrade. It has been 3 years since my last, and I never did a top of the line upgrade, either. Just kind of looked at what I could squeak by with. I tend to upgrade in pieces, too. Still have the same optical drive from 6 years ago.

#13 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

well Intels new series is peeking around the corner............looking all mean and deadly like a ninja!

#14 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostThatBum42, on 16 April 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I personally don't trust SSDs. Even with fancy wear-leveling, the limited write cycles scares me somewhat. So on my main machine I have two Caviar Black 1TBs in RAID0. It seems to be more than sufficient, because I'm usually the first to ready up. :angry:

You're Olde-Fashioned. SSD's are just as trust worthy as HDD's, if not more-so. Without moving parts there is fewer things to breakdown, less mechanical wear, less power consumption, and a longer MTBF. Mine has been running for just over 2 years now, and is showing less than 1% wear. I expect it will be replaced due to lack of space/outdated connection long before it fails.

Note that this applies to reasonable quality SSDs(Intel, Micron/Crucial, Samung, Corsair, OCZ/Toshiba). Those cheap(discontinued) OCZ drives are/were complete trash.

Edited by darqsyde, 22 April 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#15 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostGolrar, on 15 April 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

OK, so I am new to SSD hardware, but I couldn't pass up the deal on my new Crucial 240GB ($100!).

<redacted>

If it is not the ghosted SSD, what is it? The CPU? GPU? I knwo I really need to upgrade, just thought I throw this out if anyone can help with some tips. I have not tried a customer user.cfg, but if it helps...

I would say your GPU and CPU combined are hemming things up for you... the SSD is really only going to improve load time for the game as a whole... I run MWO on my SSD (main system drive) and it loads fast... I had to remove BF4 from my SSD recently because it's just stupidly huge in storage and it takes and now loads much slower... my squadmates get into the game before I do, irritating when you're squad lead and can't issue orders due to load time. The harddrive makes all the difference in it's read/write ability with programs... Your CPU and GPU are really handling all the physics, particle effects, computations, and whatnot in your games/programs. My PC (in spoiler, w/pics) runs MWO very well, not the best, but almost there... I've got this (mobo upgraded since this pic, still ASUS):
Spoiler

Edited by Grendel408, 22 April 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#16 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostThatBum42, on 16 April 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I personally don't trust SSDs. Even with fancy wear-leveling, the limited write cycles scares me somewhat. So on my main machine I have two Caviar Black 1TBs in RAID0. It seems to be more than sufficient, because I'm usually the first to ready up. :D

Uhhhh.... You talk about reliability and your using raid 0 on normal HDDs !?!?!?!?!
You realise that if one of the those 2 drives fail. It is GG TOAST to your data right ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users