8 replies to this topic

#1 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Greetings All,

From what I have read, it is a good idea to upgrade to Endo frame to save on weight. I know that FFA saves on weight, but, is it worth it? Does FF give that many more armor pts that the slots taken up is worth it. I know in various past games, it gives a lot more pts and therefore a good advantage, but, is that true here and if not do the devs plan on making it worth while to upgrade to it?

Thanks for all you're help!

War Kitten

"The Rights of the People to Keep and Bare Arms Shall *Not* Be Infringed!"

--A quote I read somewhere.....

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

FF saves ~12% of your total armors weight, but gives no extra armor or protection.

Some mech builds can use it - most run out of crit slots before weight using it.

(edit: Locust build courtesy of Tesunie)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 22 April 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

On lights, it's worth it. Others, not really.

And no, they likely won't change FFA because it's operating exactly as it should.

#4 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Most times no, FF isnt worth it. Normal armor is 32 points per ton, FF is ~36 points per ton. It doesn't change the amount of armor you can carry, only slightly reduces the weight of the points you have. So you only save a ton for about every 288 points of armor you have on your mech. An Atlas can carry 612 points of armor so FF only saves a bit more than 2 tons. As you can see, on a light mech the savings will be minimal because they just can't carry much armor.

That said, there are a few builds where that extra ton or so means more ammo, and extra heat sink, larger engine, etc. But it's only done *after* endo structure.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 22 April 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostWar Kitten, on 22 April 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Greetings All,

In general, no. But some mechs do benefit.

The difference is roughly 32 points per ton standard armor versus 36 points per ton ferro armor.
The reason ferro exists is currently obsolete due to the removal (permanent or temporary) of repair and rearm.

When repairs are concerned, ferro is slightly more expensive than standard armor. However, ferro is significantly cheaper to repair than endo steel so in a fight where you have been defeated, the cost of endo steel's repairs might drown you in debt. Especially if it were on an assault mech (where lots of endo steel is likely to be lost).

#6 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Rule of the thumb is, go for endo-steel FIRST and if you have 14+ crit slots and really everthing you want save a bigger engine or something, you can add in ferro as well for some more speed (bigger engine) other wise just stick with things like endo

Ex: of an Ff + Endo mech: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d963f1041e26180 since heat eff was as good as gold and the ammo amount was perfect, i figured i might as well stick on ferro-firbrous for some more speed

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Tabletop nut: "Invalid build! It's only 10.94444444444444 tons of armor!"
Or "12.3125" tons of standard armor.

:angry:

#8 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

I did a write-up on DHS/Endo/Ferro here that may be of help

https://docs.google....d.gb8ed7ef2_043

#9 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Ferro makes your equipped armor weight less, but does NOT increase the maximum armor value of your mech.

Because Endo and Ferro BOTH take up 14 slots, but Endo returns slightly more tonnage, if you only have a need for 1, go with Endo.

Some mechs, mostly cool-running lights, take both because they have more slots than tonnage available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users