New Gamemode Suggestion: Duels

22 replies to this topic

Poll: New Gamemode Suggestion: Duels (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Please indicate Yea or Nay for Duel Game Mode

1. Yea (35 votes [85.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.37%

2. Nay (6 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Thinking of the following:

New Game Mode which is by default not selected: Duels

Concept: One-on-one Mech Duels. Players selecting this game mode will be randomly match-made against other players selecting this game mode. Standard MM rules apply.

Players will be dropped into teams of one player each. Game mode is essentially TDM with one player on each side, with the same time limit. (If the twosome can't meet somewhere on a small map in 15 minutes to resolve their differences...)

Maps will be those of smaller sizes, therefore suggested are: River City, Forest Colony, Frozen Night. Potentially a few other smaller maps, based conceptually on Solaris dueling stadiums.

Smaller size of teams and more limited map rotation could mean smaller servers could be used, thus, not as costly.

Statistic et. al. to be tracked as per normal.

Business opportunity:

To satisfy a particular itch amongst a segment of the users.
Also, possibility to run specific Solaris-style tournaments on weekends.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Private Match mode can easily do this. Just need to wait until next Tuesday.

#3 Soltar

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

I like the idea.
But i would add more options:

Not only simple "one versus one" , also a lance versus lance mode.
Or make some competitions:

Best light, medium, etc... pilot of the month.
Best lance of the month.

It would certainly improve the game.

Edited by Soltar, 23 April 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#4 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

...private matches anyone?

wait for the next patch..

#5 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 503 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:01 AM

I'd rather have a free queue for duel than pay to host one myself (for those shouting private matches).

#6 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

i could see a map that is the center ring of terra therma but without the heat and no outside to run to being a dueling map. And if the outside edge crumbles away every few minutes until the 2 are left in the tiny center but that would be interesting. And potentially a way of testing destructible environment coding.

#7 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

PGI said that anything below 12vs12 is a waste of precious server-time for them.

#8 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:56 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 23 April 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

PGI said that anything below 12vs12 is a waste of precious server-time for them.

Yeah waste, but only because their netcode sucks donkey balls. Also, if anything is crucial, it's server threads, not server time.

#9 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

A quick bump to get visibility...

Basically a few reason why a public queue. Private matches -- which we still have no idea how it would be done -- is nice but limited to your friend list and if you are using premium time. So having a public mode for people who just want to test their dueling skills again random players can do so.

I'm also trying to set up a scenario where it's not too expensive for PGI to set things up. Games of very few players (2, ideally), on smaller maps, with a smaller rotation, can mean using a less expensive server, thus taking up less resources for PGI.

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

The reasons why there won't be a public dueling queue is because:
1. Waste of server resources, whether it's threads or time.
2. Duels are not a realistic battle type in the lore for the Inner Sphere. Most battles are company- or battalion- or regiment-level.

There might some day be a specific game mode for Solaris VII battles, which may include one-on-one.

For now: You want to duel? Pay a small amount of money, which includes big boosts to your non-dueling matches as well.

#11 Lysidious

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

First off, I love MWO .. played since the old AOL days on solaris .. The only thing that has been missing that I loved was the dueling .. need 1 v 1 with w / l records and maybe ranks like the old days ..

#12 Zoltan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

Inability to duel (or play private matches with custom settings) for free is very disappointed in this game (which I love very much). I am willing to pay for hero mechs, gadgets in the cockpit, skins, but I'm not ready to constantly pay permium time to duel with somebody. The game is positioned as f2p, but it turns out that we can not play for free. About server resources: I cannot remember any f2p game where you have to pay real money for private lobbies. PGI, I really appreciate what you are doing but I kindly ask you to review this issue.

Edited by Zoltan, 17 September 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#13 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Not going to happen.

As explained earlier, a 1v1 match takes up the same server resources as a 12v12 match.

Many versus many has been the default play mode forever. You can play in this mode for free.

If you wish to do anything but the default play mode, you have to pay.

It simply comes down to whether or not you are willing to "constantly pay" $10 per month (which is less than any game's subscription price that I know of) for the privilege of doing custom private matches.

And like was mentioned earlier, they have previously mentioned a Solaris VII mode (which if you're not familiar with BattleTech lore, is a planet where they host competition matches, usually 1v1 duels, and people make money doing it). We have no idea of the status of that idea though. And you might still have to pay to do that too...

#14 Zoltan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Solaris VII mode will be a great opportunity, but again I think it will be random matches dependent on ELO rating. I want to say that if MWO positions as cybersport discipline, it must have accessibility for private matches as DEFAULT. For example to train recruits or master different team tactics with custom settings. I've read a lot of your posts about this issue, valorous Durant Carlyle. And it is commendable that you defend current state of private matches issue so adamantly. But it is not only my opinion, and lots of people would like this feature to be changed. Thanks for understanding.

#15 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

What I'm defending so adamantly is PGI's cash flow. Having the Premium Time requirement for custom matches is an important source of income for them. Not having that income means less development for MW:O.

...or no development.

Thanks for your understanding. :P

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 18 September 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#16 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

i liike the idea very much in the bt spiret

#17 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 23 April 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

Private Match mode can easily do this. Just need to wait until next Tuesday.

Private match requires 24 people. Please explain.

#18 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 15 October 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

dude, that post was written before private matches were actually a thing. pay attention before you post.

But still, I don't care if 1v1 duels are "lore friendly", the most fun I have in this game is when it's just me and a relatively equal enemy duking it out with no one else to interrupt us.

#19 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 15 October 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Free private match mode requires 24 people.

Premium private match mode requires two people with Premium Time active.

And yes, I knew that when I originally posted that message in April.

You want 1v1 or any other less-than-12 versus less-than-12? Pay for Premium Time.

#20 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

YET another Solaris arena style suggestion. Please people. This is getting old. You can reword the suggestion all you want. It's not going to happen as a game mode. Maybe as one off event, but not a game mode.

Russ has already given the reason before when private lobbies were introduced.

You want your Solaris arena? Get your buddies to buy premium time and launch 1v1 in private lobbies

If you really want to suggest something, do something new to help both players and PGI. For example, paying nominal MCs to drop into non-12v12 private matches. maybe something like 120MC per drop shared between dropping players. i.e. 1v1 = 60 MC each

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users