Launch Module Test - Feedback Questionnaire

159 replies to this topic

#141 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

We successfully pulled off a double 4 man synch drop. I thought there was going to be a limit of one group per team

#142 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
  • -ZOMG private matches! 1v1 4v4 YES!!!
  • -Weight balanced games feel faster paced and more enioyable over-all
  • -Wait times running a lance of 2 lights and 2 mediums/heavies were super short, dropping within 5 seconds most times.

2) What do you like least about the Launch Module?
  • -I played 6 games with my pre-made, and won all of them. 4 of them were 12-1 12-0 stomps. I suspect this is due to server populations restricting ELO matching.

3) What are your impressions of the Weight Class Restrictions?
  • -Faster paced, more varied, over-all much less scary as a light 'mech.

4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions?
  • -Please don't make private matches pay per use. Keep premium time as a permanent option, and add pay-per-use as a secondary option. VALUE ADDED IS GOOD
  • -Also thank-you for hiding the enemy 'mech choices, however showing the tonnage can also be a give-away of composition, so it would be good to hide that from the enemy team also.
  • -The tonnage limit selector in lobbies takes a long time to set tonnages, please allow us to type in the numbers instead of scrolling through them.
  • -We ran in to an issue with lobbies, where it wouldn't let us drop giving an error that no server was available. it seemed that reforming the lobby solved the issue, however we couldn't be sure if a server simply became available in that time period. The first time I sat there clicking launch for 5 minutes before we reformed and got a server, the second time we immediately reformed and got a server. The problem seemed to occur after a few successful drops each time. A waiting queue to get a server would be preferable to putting the onus on the lobby leader.

Edited by Veranova, 25 April 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#143 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

I've put my answers in the quote box below:

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
- I think I like the 3/3/3/3, mainly because the games felt better paced by having an even spread of fast and slow mechs, as opposed to before when you'd have mostly slow assault and heavy mechs and barely any mediums.

- It did seem to take a while to get a match at times, perhaps that was just before everyone got home from work, after a while it didn't take long to match up. Maybe you should include an indicator showing what mech weight classes people are playing so you can choose a different class to get a quicker match? Dunno.

- They are fine for now, maybe over time in the long term you should try to change to overall team tonnage matching.

- As said before, the 3/3/3/3 is fine for now, but long term should probably be more dynamic based on team tonnage, or different combinations like 2/4/4/2, etc.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 25 April 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#144 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

Private lobbies. Adds so much that we can do with this game, in terms of under 12 matches, leagues. It's a nice looking interface that works well.

No ability to modify your mech once in a private lobby. This means that we have to kick somebody out of the lobby each time a mech config modification is needed.

I just want some variety. Some days 3/3/3/3, other days perhaps 1,3,4,4 (and other types). This could be done in CW per stages of engagement.

4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions?[color=#00FFFF] [/color]

Auto-scale cap time, turrets (e.g. hit points), based on # of people in a match. Otherwise, we won't be able to use conquest or assault.

#145 Moku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Private premium lobby interface was good.

The current test implementation of public matches will kill the user base if the wait times are longer than a few seconds. People want instant action and they won't tolerate waiting around twiddling their thumbs if there are flow, gameplay, or common sense interface problems.

It's good for public 12 man group drops.

Don't implement the 3/3/3/3 to public drops until the module has wait time indicators or more features like choosing more than one mech to launch into the queue. Have you played smite or other online games? Test more and polish it before it goes live. Testing one to one weight class matching should also be done. We don't need unnecessary loss of players due to an unpolished launcher on a live game.

Setup beginning and normal servers. New players and low elo players (With reduced rewards after they past the beginner xp+cbill+kill threshold)

Variable number of players needs to be implemented. 2-8 or 10 would be fine. Limiting it to 4 really killed the population and group fun factor.

For private premium and free lobby drops could you add RESPAWN Mode?

Do not ever implement pay per use for private premium lobby drops. If you want to kill the merc corp units instead of grow them go ahead. I don't really have the goodwill to stick around being nickel and dimed when there is a higher likelihood there are lots of mc spenders in units. Premium time should cover this already.

#146 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

I like the ability to 'cancel' a search that is taking longer than expected. Unfortunately, it also bugged out on me, reported here.

Bugs. The forced weight restrictions, without the option for a free, unrestricted queue.

If the intent was to prevent "stomps" and "steamrolls" by making the tonnage close the equal, I think it failed. I dropped solo in 5 out of 8-10 games...in those 5 games, I asked how many people were premades. Only one. In the 4 that were all PuGs, all 4 ended with only 1-3 mechs dead on the victorious side. Weight restrictions does nothing to change this. Caveat: I've never thought stomps were that big a problem...someone has to lose...but I recall 3/3/3/3 being cited as a 'solution.' It's not.

If the change was implemented because you want to see people taking some mechs out more often (like mediums, as opposed to assaults and heavies) well...missions succeeded. We don't have much choice.

I did notice that in a 2-man group, if BOTH people took mechs of the same weight class (we tested 2 assaults, 2 mediums and 2 heavies) the wait time was DRAMATICALLY longer than dropping in two different weight classes...and both were longer than dropping solo. MM seemed to have difficulty with your 3/3/3/3. I'm not quoting actual wait times, which were between instant and over 10 minutes, average 2-3 minutes, because you'll cite low server population. I'm comparing the times of different situations.

I sincerely hope that the test server population was small...if only because it gives a chance for the live server 3/3/3/3 to have wait times that are smaller than what I'm dreading. In NA, my wait time is rarely over 15 seconds, grouped or solo, as it currently is coded.

Good call on the longer test server times, that was appreciated. However, I didn't know you extended it until I jumped online to check the website "on a whim." I'd suggest releasing a second announcement stating that you extended the time (ON THE WEBSITE, NOT JUST SOCIAL MEDIA) instead of simply editing the times in the original post.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 25 April 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#147 Facetious

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 April 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

This thread is to cover any qualitative feedback regarding UI 2.0. If you would like to report specific bugs with the preview, please use the New Issues thread.

Please follow the questionnaire provided. This is to help us better organize and process your feedback after the test.

1) I did enjoy balancing the teams around the classes, I felt it added a nice fairness. I also liked the addition of the Cancel button while I'm waiting, but it was only really necessary because matchmaking took so long.

2) The wait time was incredibly long. This may be entirely due to the lower number of players on the test server, but it was definitely noticable.

3) 3 of each? Seemed to work, except one match where I assume no mediums signed up and we had 6 heavies.

4) I like the idea on paper, but it has to be executed well. Wait times need to drop, qc needs to make sure there are 3 of each class, and games need to have the full 12 people. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense to me.

#148 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

1)The balanced teams I.E ( 3 of each class changed the gameplay dramatically) i wasn't in a single match were people were poptarting for 10 minutes and fighting for 5. that made me very happy. each level of mech clearly had a purpose and without a ton of assault mechs i could tell right off the bat the game has changed for the better. well done great step towards role warfare.

2) there really is too much clicking involved for setting things up with the U.I. so much window switching it gets old fast. setting up a private match was a little annoying. wait times were longer but always less then 4 minutes for me and thats not too bad.

3)This has to stay its made gameplay so much faster and so much funner!

4) i know you guys are busy as shit, but if you can mess with the u.i to make it more friendly. otherwise this was a step in the right direction. great job PGI thanks for saving the gameplay!

#149 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

Preferably a no time limit option for the private matches.

#150 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

I have noticed pretty much everyone would like to have something indicating the current balance of weight classes queued up. I understand you may not want to have exact numbers, or even estimated wait times, but you could instead make it like a lot of games do with their servers: by color.

Basically, if there are an extreme number of assaults queued, very few heavies, a good amount of mediums and a large amount of lights, it would look like this:

Assaults: Red
Heavies: Green
Medium: Yellow
Lights: Orange

That would let us know generally how the weight load was distributed without giving away any of the top secret numbers :)

#151 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

The private lobby looked nice. It was also nice to be able to play with friends without trying to sync drop.

• Long wait times.
  • Work flow feels off:
    • I have to click through two boxes to drop.
    • I have to click the bottom left corner to cancel a drop.
    • I must click on the little social button at bottom of screen to invite to lobby.

The 3/3/3/3 system is too restrictive and does not let people play what they want. What happens when a new hero mech is released? We will all get longer wait times because we all must follow the 3/3/3/3 rule. Part of the fun is not knowing what you will drop against; now I know it's 3 Assaults, 3 Heavies, 3 Mediums and 3 Lights every time. :)

• 3/3/3/3 -- How about relax the 3/3/3/3 system a bit. I suggest adding a range instead of a hard number such as, 2-3/2-4/2-5/2-4. Combined with the tonnage weight matching this can make for more dynamic games that would also drop the wait times.
  • Private Matches -- A few things are necessary to make the lobby system flow more seamlessly:
    • allow the purchase of premium time
    • allow the ability to access the mechlab without having to exit the lobby

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 25 April 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#152 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

1. Overall its mostly an improvement, matches seemed to flow better, less one sided rolls.

2. Still 'check/click' intensive, 1 person with premium time in private lobby and you can select everything except the full teams option, had 2 have 2 people for selection of small group private matches.

3. An improvement in general over the current system, however, on the test server I can personally say that in several drops there were more than 1 premade group per team, on one match I know that there were at least 2 full lances made up of groups on my team.

4. Private lobby - Allow for a single person to have premium time to enable all control options
Access the mechlab without dropping from the lobby

#153 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

This, twice, one hour each; Didn't try to use 'Mechs I think I'm good in.

Can't vote in the poll, as there's only one question I can answer; Never had a game on the test server.

#154 caseysrevenge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMaastricht netherlands

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish
-you can see in the friends list who is in a group and which faction he belongs.
-the cancel button when you launch
-the portal for private matches is very nice where you can create both groups from 2 till 12 man
-to be fair i liked all the things you guys did with it :P
-can't say that i disliked anything about it
-yippie yahee i would say good job people
4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions?[color=#00FFFF] y[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]-Nope youre guys are finally on the right track :D[/color]

#155 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

Cancel Button, Weight Showing for both teams, options for all the maps etc, ability to add friends everywhere.

No indicator who is in your group before launch of the module or who are the leaders with premium.

Good so far, it was fairly balanced.

Wait times are my only concern. We didn't have to wait longer than 5 minutes, but others report more. We had several times where there were 2 premades on one team which was not supposed to happen either.

#156 Oper8or

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

I loved the new module. The ability to cancel match search is nice. I really like the fact that you can control the views. 3rd person dump ftw.

Premium time being required to set match requirements and controls is something I don't like. That is rather annoying and a bit greedy.

The restrictions are great. I love not having to deal with a whole team of one class or weight type.

I was only able to join 3 games. Joining the 3 games was easy using all light and medium mechs. The rest of them never loaded. We had an average seek time of 2.5 minutes when a match was found. The rest of the time was spent trying different mechs (1 light 1 med 1 heavy 1 assualt) to see if it would find a match. We never found a match doing it this way. We even split up and tried to use the same mechs in an attempt to do solo runs. Never found a match. I would suggest upon searching for more than x number of minutes it uses best guess to determine game restrictions for class and weight. If it does not find a match it just uses a failback method of queuing best possible.
Private matches were played after a couple of hours and it was great. We had a lot of fun doing this.

Edited by Oper8or, 25 April 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#157 I am the Table

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

1) What is it that you like about the Launch Module? (Please enter as many items as you wish)

- The Private Match maker screen looked quite sleek and flowed with the UI, though I didn't play any Private Matches. I tried to do a 1 v 1 with my friend who started the lobby and had premium time but I did not have any premium time, and I couldn't select to unlock any because the box was filled with "Empt Empt Empt" and no button prompt. As many mentioned already, the Cancel button in the bottom left is a nice addition!

- That it has taken time away from CW :P

- I like the idea, but it wasn't exactly ton for ton. Not that it has to be, but of my 5 matches there was a discrepancy of around 20-50 tons or so between the teams, so a lot closer than normal! Also knowing that each team has an even amount of lmha's adds a different dynamic to the matches. IE all 3 of our assaults have been destroyed, tactics change. Or the inevitable, we just took out 5 assaults and 4 atlases just appeared from behind a building...won't happen anymore in the public queue. I am ok with that!

- Of the 5 matches I played, only the first one was close. In fact, it was one of the better matches I've been a part of in the past few weeks! It came down to a Shadowhawk and a Jenner and we ended up losing, but it was even and intense the whole time! The next 4 were stomps. The second to last one I played was a 12-0 shutout with the match time at less than 4 minutes. I felt bad for the other team haha. So stomps will still occur, but it seems it will have less to do with tonnage disparity, and more with pilot ability, which is quite acceptable and fair.

4) Any other comments, concerns or suggestions?[color=#00FFFF] [/color]

- All in all I approve! 1 v 1's are gonna be fun! Glad I was able to play 5 matches (took around 3 hours) and wish I could've played more, but just didn't have enough time to do so. And as usual I always welcome as much public testing as needed, and look forward to more!

#158 Oddmund

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

private matches

not being able to customize my mech while in a private lobby

great

not being able to customize my mech while in a private lobby. did this just skip your minds or was it intended to be this way? if intended to be this way it really makes me question why.

Edited by dankith, 25 April 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#159 Kenku

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

- Private queue setup is really nice.
- Love the ability to move modules are part of consumables! Wish there was something like that in the standard UI(or possibly something like that for the public games) so there is less clicking just to move a module from one mech to another.
- Cancel button is a nice addition.

- Queue times were HARSH.
- Having to quit to modify a mech in private matches is a little dumb.
- They seemed to be balanced, well...but yea the Queue time hit hurt.
- I would advice making the Mech Stable a top priority to solve the Queue time issue. Also, in my opinion, public games could use a lobby of their own.[/color]

Edited by Kenku, 25 April 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#160 SmurfOff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Private matches: map selection, team building, weight restrictions.
Flow of information was stunted. IE - to configure a mech between matches dropping and rejoining lobby.
Did not attempt a public queue drop. Not a fan of 3.3.3.3.
For players who want to focus on teamplay within an between groups, how will we make c-bills in private lobby?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users