Repair And Refit Time

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Add repair and/or refit time? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Add repair and refit time

1. Add repair and refit time (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

2. Add refit time (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Add repair time (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

4. Waste of time (27 votes [62.79%])

Percentage of vote: 62.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

So, I was thinking. How can we make this game more interesting, realistic, and diverse?

Refit and repair time.

Repair time would make people think twice before blindly charging on the battlefield as getting messed up hurts a bit more. Also, it force people to use different mechs from round to round, if the mechs are damaged that is.

I have not tought so much about how long this would take, but replacing armor should take a lot less time than repairing internal structure. Damage to the torso/head internals are more work than damage to the arms or legs.

Compleately destroyed parts should take the longest. Replacing an arm or leg how ever takes less time than refitting torso or head. If the engine is destroyed, the time it takes to fit a new engine is added to the time it takes to repair the torso. Making STD engines favourable as repairing left or right torso with no engine takes a lot less time. This goes for all equipment mounted on a destroyed part of the mech.

Repair time should not aply to trial mechs.

Refitting the mech could also use time. Changing a weapon should be quick, but engine, internal structure, armor type, jump jets and so on should be more work.

I do see a few potential drawbacks, but nothing severe.

Initially I was sceptical to this tought, but over time I think it could be a good feature.

What do you think?

Sorry for my english, I dont have word installed :(

#2 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

This would be a total bummer for those of us in leagues, who need to use a specific mech. Would also be a bummer for new players.

Also, this punishes skilled players, who use every bit of the mech as a shield and regularly die with only 30-40% health left. It would encourage players to NOT use their arms as s shield, etc because it would cost more.

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

I have multiples of my favorite mechs anyway so I don't have to wait for a match to end before dropping again. This wouldn't affect me in the least. It would adversely affect newer players who haven't had time to get their stable fleshed out.

#4 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

maybe when community warfare hits with newer game modes we'll see this.

#5 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

This idea was tried and did not work in closed beta, in the guise of repair costs.
But I like the idea that if you use an assault mech you should have to play a medium mech twice or a light mech 3 times before it is ready again. If you use a heavy mech you should play a medium mech or light once to ready it again.

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

hahahah....... NO

#7 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

As Stardancer pointed out, the game had repair and refit at one point in closed beta, but then people whined about how prohibitively expensive it was. Part of the problem is that nine tons of LRM ammo per match will bankrupt you pretty quick, no matter how good a pilot you are, energy builds (specifically Laser Jenners) were more affordable, but you could still pay huge bills if you took a lot of damage, or were killed early.

Bear in mind, I liked the feature, as it made certain builds - Mostly LRM boats and gun snipers that seem to be the current Metagame - high risk to field, and actually helped to limit them, but The market value of C-Bills, vs. the cost of R&R made it more likely that you would lose money than gain it, regardless of what build you took out.

Edited by Vanguard319, 25 April 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#8 Warrior UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 142 posts
  • LocationUK South Coast (Sussex)

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Back in CB when we had to pay for repair and ammo was a bit of a pain in the butt but as stated it did reduce AC builds due to the cost of ammo. The repair side also tought pilots piloting skills, as in, avoiding team members due to damage. Since being taken out players dont even give it a thought not to try running through you with their mech and on that basis I for one would like to see it back in game (the old pay system) with a revamp of earnings in Cbills to make it affordable even for new players

Edited by Warrior UK, 27 April 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#9 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostFire and Salt, on 24 April 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

This would be a total bummer for those of us in leagues, who need to use a specific mech. Would also be a bummer for new players.

Also, this punishes skilled players, who use every bit of the mech as a shield and regularly die with only 30-40% health left. It would encourage players to NOT use their arms as s shield, etc because it would cost more.

I do not see it this way. First there is no saying that a skilled player have to leave the battlefield with only halph a mech, but I see your point. But, as I wrote, repairing arms and legs should be a lot less time consuming that repairing damage to more vital parts, as torso and legs. So, skilled players, avoinding torso damage should benifit from this compared to unskilled who do not.

Also, even if it would be a bummer for some, the point that you have to use the same mech in every mach kind of proves my point.

New players would be able to run trial machs while their mech is repaired. Also, one could have prioritised repairs for the first 30 drops.

#10 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostVanguard319, on 25 April 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

As Stardancer pointed out, the game had repair and refit at one point in closed beta, but then people whined about how prohibitively expensive it was. Part of the problem is that nine tons of LRM ammo per match will bankrupt you pretty quick, no matter how good a pilot you are, energy builds (specifically Laser Jenners) were more affordable, but you could still pay huge bills if you took a lot of damage, or were killed early.

Bear in mind, I liked the feature, as it made certain builds - Mostly LRM boats and gun snipers that seem to be the current Metagame - high risk to field, and actually helped to limit them, but The market value of C-Bills, vs. the cost of R&R made it more likely that you would lose money than gain it, regardless of what build you took out.

My focus was on time. If one include damage and refit costs, the earnings should also be much higher, with a minimum earning of 0. Then again, if you handle an LRM stalker well, running 800 - 1200 dmg games should be fair enough. So, the earnings when things go well overcomes the losses of early death over all. Unless you mess up every time, and LRM'en just is not for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users