20 replies to this topic

#1 Saber Avalon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

With PGI releasing images of the Timber Wolf in it's gold form now, comparing it to the original, non-gold, screen shots, they appear to be a different variant than the prime. Note the missing CT machine gun, RT machine gun, and LT laser. Since it seems to be missing these torso hardpoints, I wonder what quirks these torso "omni-pods" will have. PGI did say they would give individual quirks to pods with less hardpoints.

I also wonder what the other mechs gold variants will have/not have. I guess the bigger question is; are the golds a variant of their own or one of the lettered variants since they're not prime, going by the screen shots.

*waits for the first "P2W!!!" post*

Spoiler

#2 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

THIS IS PAY-TO-WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Now that THAT is out of the way... :huh:

#3 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

What immediately catches my eye is not the different weapons the two variants are carrying.

What catches my eye is that the gold Timberwolf's arms are indexed in different directions.

Arguably both arms are indexed in different directions than the torso, but the right arm is very noticeably so.

Well, that and of course that somewhere they found two people willing to pay for the high-gloss targets

Edited by Kael 17, 25 April 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#4 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Torso weapons were not installed, aside from the LRM. Remember, it is not a ct weapon that is locked, but *hardwired* equipment and ct hard point type. In the case of the Wolf, the ballistic is available but not required to be filled, whereas the Adder's ct has a HARDWIRED flamer.

Really, just looks like the gold mech gets the preorder prime mech's geometry. Nothing more or less.

#5 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostKael 17, on 25 April 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Well, that and of course that somewhere they found two people willing to pay for the high-gloss targets

Those are likely two devs.

#6 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Very Clan-like, quineg? :)

#7 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

anyone notice the legs are right. they are rounded not squared off?

#8 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

View Postkeith, on 25 April 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

anyone notice the legs are right. they are rounded not squared off?

That is the geometry that you get if you pre-order the clan package, on the prime Variant.

#9 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 25 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

My thoughts exactly. Most likely bought by IS players wanting to add Clan tech and "blinging" them out.

#10 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 25 April 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

That is the geometry that you get if you pre-order the clan package, on the prime Variant.

Yuch! Tell me thats not true. So non prime variants will have different legs? Can you show me where you read this?

#11 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 25 April 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Yuch! Tell me thats not true. So non prime variants will have different legs? Can you show me where you read this?

I deduced it from the fact that the concept art on the clan page, for the Prime variant with the exclusive color scheme those areas on the legs are rounded, and the concept art for the all green standard Timber Wolf has legs like the original Timber Wolf screen shots. Now looking at this gold version, the legs are rounded like the ones in the Prime variant concept art.

It's not a big deal though, not something we will notice while playing really.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 25 April 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 25 April 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

It's not a big deal though, not something we will notice while playing really.

To aid in this, Prime - Standard:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Click on the mechs on the pre-order page and they pop up images like this that you can scroll through.

My favorite (so far) would be the changes on the Stormcrow/Ryoken :)

#13 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 25 April 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Torso weapons were not installed, aside from the LRM. Remember, it is not a ct weapon that is locked, but *hardwired* equipment and ct hard point type. In the case of the Wolf, the ballistic is available but not required to be filled, whereas the Adder's ct has a HARDWIRED flamer.

Really, just looks like the gold mech gets the preorder prime mech's geometry. Nothing more or less.

why does the adder have a hardwired CT slot but not the timberwolf or any other clan mech?

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 25 April 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

why does the adder have a hardwired CT slot but not the timberwolf or any other clan mech?

Others do (do not remember which off the top of my head though - Viper or something like that?)
Adder/Puma is the only one we are currently getting that has one though.

#15 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Adder has the hardwired CT flamer. Warhawk has TWENTY (20) DHS hardwired into the frame. All mechs with Jump Jets have them all hard wired because PGI is apparently treating them as hardwired instead of pod mounted like they are supposed to be. What is hardwired is on a mech by mech basis. Many have no hardwired systems, but some do. Heck, even the Timber Wolf has 5 hard wired DHS in it.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 25 April 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#16 Saber Avalon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

There are three gold TWs in that screenshot (click to zoom), you can see they are each missing those weapons. Then if you go back and look at each screenshot of the non-gold they all have the MGuns and laser. Seems odd that they would go to the trouble of modifying three TWs, exactly the same, for a screenshot. Then there is this bit of text from the clan page:

"Available only to the most ambitious of Kerensky's followers, the Khan Collections provide pilots participating in Operation Revival with the most exclusive and treasured of Clan Technologies."

Also from the Omnimech rules and construction post:

"The OmniPod in a configuration’s center torso cannot be changed.
  • This helps to identify the 'Mech as being a particular variant for XP and other purposes, as the player will be unable to completely change one configuration wholly into another."
Although I will admit it only states the omni pod itself can't be changed but there has been speculation that nothing in that pod can be changed.

View PostCyclonerM, on 25 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Aff. The clans often reward great warriors by giving them their choice of mech and loadout. Solhama units were often given outdated, non-omni, and aging tech. Although clans are highly efficient when it comes to the general use of resources, they have been known to dive into excess, especially for trials. I recall Clan Wolf lifting off an entire dropship and turning off its gravity so two warriors could have a zero gee fist fight, for either a blood name trial or Mechwarrior status. They consumed all that fuel to get it into space, took no cargo for transport, and utilized an entire crew for this trial alone.

There is also this, from sarna: "Clan Jade Falcon first produced the Thor II as a distinct symbol of honor. This 'Mech is painted yearly in the parade scheme of a unit chosen by the Clan's Khan as part of tradition of honoring Clusters who had performed services honoring the Clan."

Painting mechs is far from un-clan like.

The special package mechs, primes with 30% cbill bonus, will have unique geometry. They did this for the Founders and Phoenix mechs as well. Founders Catapult has a pointed nose for example, where standard variants have a flat nose. Check the concept art on the clan page, it shows both standard variants and modified geometry versions for comparison. It's usually small details.

In lore the Adder's flammer is welded to the mech and not an omni-pod. There are other mechs like this too, but for MWO I don't know why they're following that. If they did, then every IS mech in this timeline should be stuck in their stock forms. It doesn't make sense to me why they're enforcing it on clan mechs. They did mention it in the Omnimech rules and construction post too:

"The OmniPod in a configuration’s center torso cannot be changed.
  • This helps to identify the 'Mech as being a particular variant for XP and other purposes, as the player will be unable to completely change one configuration wholly into another."
As I said above though, we're not sure if it's just the pod or everything in the pod too.

#17 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

Considering how stitched together some of the images look, I am far more likely to believe they simply did not have the torso weapons skinned in gold yet.

Simplest. Solution. Ever.

As for the torso weapon, it is pretty clear. There are two separate issues: Hardwired equipment and center torsos. Hardwired equipment does not NEED to be in the CT, but no matter what variant it is present in all of them. Luck of the draw in the Adder's case that it was a CT Flamer. The CT in a Prime Timber Wolf contains exactly one ballistic hard point and one crit of ferro-fibrous, meaning you only have a single critical slot left in its CT. ALl you can stick in there is a machine gun, but there is no need to install one at all.

#18 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

I do not know about you, but I would take one flamer over 1 MG any day :)
ADDER IS SUPERIOR!

#19 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostSaber Avalon, on 25 April 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

Painting mechs is far from un-clan like.

True, but painting a 'Mech golden is something i would never expect from a spartan Clan warrior :) I would never do it certaintly.

#20 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:57 AM

what if there is no CT guns because all gold mechs would come with ECM? That would be an sudden suprise xD and suddenly their teammates would love them while the opposition would hate them 7x more.

Edited by Grimmrog, 06 June 2014 - 02:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users