Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Review Update

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kilgore Bane

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

I'm thinking about buyng one of the Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS X and was really that someone could give an update on this old topic addressing durabilty, mapping for MWO, etc

http://mwomercs.com/...ew/page__st__20

#2 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

I've been using one for over a year now. I haven't added anything to the config files or anything like that. Personally I love mine.

but...I mostly use LRMs. If I was going to use mostly AC/lasers I would probably stick with a keyboard and mouse. But to me, it's not mechwarrior unless I'm using a stick.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

You could have just send a report for us moderators to un-archive said thread, instead of creating a new one. ^_^

Moved to the hardware forums!

#4 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:56 AM

I have 2x "Top Gun Afterburner II" which is essentially the same stick.

The rudder rocker does not have a great lifespan.

The "detents" (Notches) on the throttle are at inappropriate positions.

Finally, anyone using stick for aiming is never going to amount to much in MWO - you cannot come close to competing with a mouse aimer. If / when PGI implement absolute stick aiming, or if you emulate absolute aiming using joystick to mouse conversion, then maybe you can compete, but for now it is just not worth it.

And using a mouse to aim and throttle in the off hand is not much better at the moment either - you will stop whenever you open map or chat.
The only upside is analogue turning, and you can get a similar result using keyboard through clever use of the "Align torso to legs" binding - when you hit this, it will twist your legs towards the reticule WITHOUT affecting the crosshair (ie your aim will not suddenly slew one way as it does when holding A or D but will stay where you are aiming it).

#5 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Man it feels weird to acknowledge that was...jesus, coming up on 2 years ago but I can say that MWO recognizes all the controller inputs just fine, though as I said in my PM to Bane they are screwed up by default. I'd go through all the axis bindings regardless and make sure the throttle is on the throttle and the joystick is on the joystick and all that, also the throttle needed to be inverted for me. Just go into the testing grounds and set up everything there. But durability wise this thing has held up remarkably well even through a couple moves (though I boxed it up all nice and everything so...not much of a test there). Um...think that's about everything, apart from just that the sensitivity is kind of a pain if you're a direct-fire support role like me most of the time, perhaps that absolute positioning whatsit'll sort that out if they ever implement it as @evilC stated.

It is pretty fun and mechwarrior-y to use, but more for mucking about rather than competitive play; it's just too fiddly even in the testing grounds for me to jump right in and use it in actual games. I might try sticking it out though WHO KNOWS. It might even give me a reason to make more time for MWO instead of just waiting for some damn content.

#6 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

2014 October bought this Thrustmaster Hotas X for HK$499 new from sole importer authorized dealer, was within my $$$ budget reach.

Liked the looks, especially convenient combo+stick together, handle ergonomics very well especially to my left hand, touch and feel well everywhere. But a bit of rough edges between the plastic joint lines, could have been smooth-en out at tooling to provide an even HIGH_END_HIGH_CLASS feel if without the rough edges. Nearly perfect !!!!

Especially good for large right hands, people taller than 6'3" foot can use it well. I'm 5'9" medium weighted, need to add one inch thick hard foam ring under the hand to comfortably play for long hours, else tired quickly and gotta rest the hand under the plate, which cause one of the button a tad far to reach and not used.

Actual game play???? After suffering badly versus mouse, finally understood the difference between zero-order versus first-order, provided by Loc Nar - http://mwomercs.com/...ls-demystified/ thank you thank you.

Am now just using the throttle+rudder+mouse :(

Not enough buttons for ROBOTs, recommend a minimum of five buttons firing, i.e. left hand, left torso, center, right torso, right hand, instead of wasting ammo or heat at walls :( some i.e. Direwolf Prime original unmodded.

Button_A for all the left.
Button_B for all right.
Suffer long versus med incompatibility. As well as energy versus ballistic mix not match.

Button A for energy
Button B for ballistics
Suffer shooting into walls at one side. As well as long versus medium incompatibility.

This DWF-prime original unmodded seriously needs 6 buttons. An Atlas setup can be made to work well with this joystick buttons. Not as picky as DWF-Prime. Warhawk Prime original unmodded also good. Adder too.... etc.

Haven't found the "holy grail REDUCE first-order deficiency to close the GAP to mimic the zero-order" settings.

If anyone read this and have tips for me, please shout :) Thanks really need it !!!!! desperate.

#7 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:53 AM

View Postcx5, on 11 December 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

2014 October bought this Thrustmaster Hotas X for HK$499 new from sole importer authorized dealer,

After 6 months - button number 5, left hand THUMB, is starting to DIE, NO response to a press 50% of the times, needs to HOLD much longer time in order for something to happen, i.e. target lock in this case, so important, always finding targets. Everything else is fine and nice and still feels solid as new. The throttle could still stay whatever angle it is left and not fall bottom. Rudder still remains soft/light press leg turns slowly, full press then leg turns quickly. Nice.

#8 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Just got myself a T.16000M which is using the same TARGET software has Thurstmaster high-end devices and after taking good long time to set it up my way I can only recommand it. It's a fantastic joystick for that kind of price.

#9 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:48 AM

View PostSlion, on 30 May 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

Just got myself a T.16000M which is using the same TARGET software has Thurstmaster high-end devices and after taking good long time to set it up my way I can only recommand it. It's a fantastic joystick for that kind of price.

and you, sir, have selected the correct answer. Congratulations :)

OP, don't waste your time with a cheap HOTAS. At that pricepoint, that throttle is just going to suck every meaningful bit of quality out of the stick itself, and Thrustmaster is barely able to put a quality stick together in the 40-50 USD range - and good for them because no one else has managed that. That stick is, of course, the T16000M, and unlike the HOTAS X, which is crap for accuracy and durability, the T16000M may feel a little cheap on the buttons, but it lasts, and more importantly than TARGET, it uses the sensors of Thrustmaster's high-end stick. Those hall effect sensors not only make the T16000M the most accurate joystick, bar none, under $100, but they make it the most accurate stick under $250... the price of the other stick with hall effect sensors, the Warthog.

Go to the Star Citizen forums and see what they're recommending in a game with serious players that actually makes good use of a stick. In every case it's the same answer over and over and over: if you can't afford a Warthog, get a T16000M.

Edited by Catamount, 31 May 2015 - 03:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users