Things People Say (Why We Should Never Have Voip)

22 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

Well, we have our fun in topics like this.
On a serious note, list 'interesting' dialogue you see in game.
Why?
I once supported in game VOIP but this is the type of commentary that makes me change my mind and not want it.
All from recent games.
Names have been removed to protect both decent people and the infamous IB.
I am also figuring the forum censor works though the in game chat does not. If anything slips through, well I just helped identify more words to be censored!
Player1[Dead]<Team> ******* VA play instead of jew like fleeing
Player1[Dead]<All> kill our ******* at d5
Player2[Dead]<Team> GREAT SUPPORT YOU ****! lol!
Player2[Dead]<Team> OH WELL! AT LEAST I KILLED 2 OF THEM AND ***** THEIR ATLAS!
Player2[Dead]<Team> (other ally name), get in close and behind them
Player2[Dead]<Team> they are all in F10 G10
Player2[Dead]<All> ******* NOOB!
Player3[Dead]<All> does it look like I give a **** *****
Player4[Dead]<ALL> Yes, it does.
Yes, he is back again, the infamous Player2!

Player2<All> Who want me to blast a new **** hole in them?
Later
Player2<All> Don't make me chase you to give you your new **** hole
Gotta love the 'quality' conversation sometimes encountered.

So, what do members of the IB say in your games?

Edited by Merchant, 11 May 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#2 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

i hate to say it but i agree with your argument. i pug only and have never played with any voip. some of the stuff that gets typed makes one wounder....

#3 CarnageINC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

First off, I'm no saint. I've said stupid stuff in chat before do to frustration, but this is the reason I will refuse to use VOIP if it ever comes out in a usable format. Who wants to constantly hear strangers berate and insult others. And if it does come out, i pray that it has a disable function so I don't have to listen to people. If it doesn't have a mute function, I would definitely consider quitting MWO till it has that kind of disable/mute option.

#4 Ardney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

And yet since you read it you have already had it communicated to you, yes?

Realistically, do you think anyone is going to implement a VoIP feature without a mute function? So whether it's on comms or whether in text if there's someone you would rather ignore, you'll still be able to. Hardly sufficient reason 'Why we should never have VoIP'

#5 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

Main reason I favor Teamspeak: you hear someone get exasperated ad occasionally swear from time to time, but I have yet to hear anyone threaten to **** me with my own limbs. Apparently, ******* never figured out how to use 3rd party VOIPs.

#6 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

Go try Ghost Recon Online (or Phantoms I guess it's called now). Overall the voip is incredibly useful and can REALLY make a match come together. I can't imagine that game without at least being able to listen to people, even if I don't talk back.

Sure, there's some bullshit talking sometimes, but MOST PEOPLE censor themselves in VOIP when they DO NOT in text. It's like things you say in text messages to your ex, but you wouldn't say on the phone, and DEFINITELY not in person. It's a little more 'real' when they hear your whiny breaking voice and you hear theirs.

Lots of people just don't read text, and that's not saying anything about how fast it decays. Often a message comes when everyone is occupied with the SHOOTING on their screen and not the reading.

We need FUNCTIONAL integrated VOIP. C3 was a massive flop. Using TS3 or some other third party is great, but it only works for the people who are already a cut above the average PUG player. They're actively using the forums and internet to find other people. They didn't just start up MWO and get into a match. The players who just play and expect the game to provide them with group tools are the ones suffering.

Plenty of them are shartbag worthless arseholes, yes. Many of them WOULD PARTICIPATE in the group team play idea if it were actually functional. 12v12 is just two groups of players, it's not doing anything to encourage two cohesive TEAMS.

This game preaches team play being the utmost importance, but PGI is doing nothing to enforce that. They are, in fact, seemingly working against team effectiveness by increasing the size to 12, absolutely eliminating sync drops, and forcing players to take mixed weight classes even in a group as small as four.

MWO is better with team play, but you can do just fine with a lot of LRMs and standing behind someone else.

#7 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Team speak is great for team players no doubt (or Skype or whatever 3rd party is used) but will not help with the portion of players that are dropping in new teams every drop. In game VoIP is going to be incredibly useful tool for all those players.

As for the abuse of the system, it will probably occur on the same level as the players PUG Stomping, or the players farming, or any of the other less than desireable practices. You know why? Well because the people who have low ethics / behaviours are already in the game and doing those things, they are not going to suddenly multiple.

We have all put up with them up to now and been able to play the game and I am sure we will all be able to do so with abuse of VoIP as well.

The reality is though that most players want to play the game and have fun, not annoy other people and not detract from anyone else.

Like everything else in the game, use the tools for what they are intended for or be reported.

#8 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

I would think an option to mute all players combined with strict punishment for getting reported for excessive language would be enough to keep VOIP under control no?

The reality is though that most players want to play the game and have fun, not annoy other people and not detract from anyone else.

This ^ also combined with the fact that I think MWO has a much older & more mature age demographic than 12 year olds playing Halo on their Xbox.

Edited by xeromynd, 12 May 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#9 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

It's free to play and broadcast all over the internet. There are plenty of children playing MWO. The adults spent money and got disenfranchised, or didn't spend and got disenfranchised, or watch the forums and wait for the game to get better. A small portion are really happy, because they use VoIP and run a train on the people who don't, or just play 12v12.

That doesn't change the fact that VoIP would vastly improve teamwork in every match.

Edited by Vermaxx, 12 May 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#10 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

This is not intended as another pro/contra VoiP thread. Please keep that discussion to the topics that already concern themself with it, that we already have.

This thread is about bad comments you encounter in the game.

Please note, that such language is a violation against the code of conduct and should be reported to support, instead of being discussed here. If this thread steps over the line I'll close it. So please do not attempt to circumvent the forums wordfilter.

#11 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Report them. PGI Has been good about following up on the few in game abuse reports I have filed.

#12 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

What's the difference between Teamspeak and in-game VOIP? The rooms! So, why don't PGI implement in-game VOIP within your drop group ONLY. This way, you only actually speak with people you've invited and play with. If someone is rude or vulgar? Just don't invite them to your group. You drop in a 12-man? Everyone's connected and can voice chat with each other. Drop in a 2-man with someone you just met while playing? You're automatically voice chat enabled and don't have to pre-arrange meeting on some TS server before playing together.

#13 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'll only repeat myself once!

This is not intended as another pro/contra VoiP thread. Please keep that discussion to the topics that already concern themself with it, that we already have.

This thread is about bad comments you encounter in the game.

Please note, that such language is a violation against the code of conduct and should be reported to support, instead of being discussed here. If this thread steps over the line I'll close it. So please do not attempt to circumvent the forums wordfilter.

Next comment that's simply about VoiP will be removed without further warning!

#14 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostEgomane, on 12 May 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

I'll only repeat myself once!

Next comment that's simply about VoiP will be removed without further warning!

I was gonna say something but these comments by Egomane leave me quite confused.

So we can discuss what people say. But we are denied the right of making any conclusions whether what people say reflects well or poorly on VoIP?

I don't get it, the matters overlap way too much and in the topic the value discussion (whether it is good or bad) was already done by inferring we should NEVER have VoIP.

And oh yeah, I was just gonna basically agree with the OP. Considering the amount of Germans and Russians playing this game, it's gonna be hilarious when the english speakers QQ over the speech when they don't understand while everyone still understands them. Timezones isolate the linguistic regions partially but still at least partial effect remains.

#15 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

None of this should be surprising to anyone here. I agree that at some point even I become offended by the language and content of someone else's rage but thats the reality of internet gaming. Its unregulated, open access with codes of behavior that are hard to enforce. If this was a game with subscription-only access and with age proof requirements, you still would not be able stop the indulgent cursing and offensive language.

Considering the colorful language and obnoxious threats Ive seen in other games, MWO is actually on the mild side. Most MWO players are a bit older and more into complex rules. Games that are more indulgently bloody, violent, that played by mostly a younger demographic will have a lot more rage cursing.

TLDR..Count your blessings. Could be way worse.

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 12 May 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

I was gonna say something but these comments by Egomane leave me quite confused.

So we can discuss what people say. But we are denied the right of making any conclusions whether what people say reflects well or poorly on VoIP?

I don't get it, the matters overlap way too much and in the topic the value discussion (whether it is good or bad) was already done by inferring we should NEVER have VoIP.

And oh yeah, I was just gonna basically agree with the OP. Considering the amount of Germans and Russians playing this game, it's gonna be hilarious when the english speakers QQ over the speech when they don't understand while everyone still understands them. Timezones isolate the linguistic regions partially but still at least partial effect remains.

There's a billion and three generic 'VoIP is Good!' and 'VoIP is Bad!' threads already. Egomane's trying to make sure this thread doesn't become one of them. VoIP discussion is fine, insofar as it pertains to the topic of the original post (bad language). General 'VoIP is necessary for team games' discussion doesn't really pertain to that topic unless it's specifically and actively used as a defense against the 'VoIP enables buttfaces' argument of the original post.

Heh...so. If it's all in furtherance of the original topic of the thread, you can talk about the pros and cons of VoIP all you like

#17 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 12 May 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

I know that it overlaps, but we have plenty of threads about VoiP already where such things can be discussed. This thread is not about VoiP.

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 May 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

I know that it overlaps, but we have plenty of threads about VoiP already where such things can be discussed. This thread is not about VoiP.

May I respectfully say then it would be time to collect all VOIP commentary into a VOIP Feedback thread?
Was done for LRMs, MGs, a few other subjects.
Results were much better.
Yes, I did report them. There is nothing that stops anyone from re-registering with a new ID TMK. So it continues.
Sometimes a guy has to blow steam on a subject and I figured Barracks was the place for it regarding the 'quality' of comms in matches.
And your sig is wrong. I will not get into a debate why but it is.

#19 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

New people.
New rants.

#20 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Sure a few people will be like that but still, i would like to have a VOIP ingame.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users