Post Your Usable Troll Builds

73 replies to this topic

#1 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Sometimes you just have to make that really dumb build and try to get a few kills in it.

Post those builds that actually can get some kills (no 9 TAG hunchbacks please)

A great example of this is the infamous dual AC/20 Cicada BoomBug

Totally impractical but if used very carefully it can get a kill (or very rarely multiple kills)

One I have been using for a bit recently the STK-A100

Yes you saw that correctly 5 Artemis LRM 20 Launchers for the ultimate rain of doom. Pick your shots with care though you can only fire 9 times :)
Oh and hope you are very :rolleyes: 3.5 tons of armor might be fine on a locust, but.

(My best game 3 kills, 4 assists, 611 damage)

List of linked mechs from thread (creators tell me if you want a name change)

Light
BugZapper Locust LPL + SL (Post 10 - Tanar)
LuRM Eater Locust 2xAMS lots of ammo, 3SL, TAG, BAP (Post 13 - xeromynd) [Modified for heatsinks]
Rocketman ECM Commando 2xLRM 5 [lots of ammo], SL (Post 4 - Avimimus)
EMBER Ember Stock (Post 28 - PGI)
Red Tide Firestarter 8xSPL (Post 14 - Tiggo Bitties)
Mosquito Spider-5K AC/2 [lots of ammo] , TAG, 2 Machine guns (Post 5 - Avimimus)
BabyPult Hugin 2xLRM15 lots of ammo (Post 16 - wanderer)
Blue Lightning Raven 3xPPC (Post 40 - POOTYTANGASAUR)

Medium
Higurashi ECM Cicada AC/20 + 3ML (Post 2 - Ningyo)
Firehose Cicada X-5 2xLRM 20 in 2 tube hardpoints (Post 3 - Clydewinder)
BouncingBomber BlackJack 2xAC/20, JJ (Post 12 - Just wanna play)
Murderback Hunchback-4P 8xMPL, LPL (Post 9 - Wraith 1)
Awesomeback Hunchback 3xPPC (Post 26 - Sougard)
Commando-GNT Centurion 385XL, 2xML, SRM4, SRM6 (Post 9 - Wraith 1)
Shadowlander Shaowhawk AC/10, 2xERLL, 3xSSRM2, BAP, JJ same as HGN-733c(c) (Post 23 - Escef)

Heavy
Fireball Catapult-K2 4xFlamer, AC/20, Machinegun (Post 8 - Ovion)
CPLT-HS1K Catapult-K2 2xERPPC, 2xGauss rifle [can headshot at 1k range] (Post 25 - Merchant)
TROLLBRAND Jaggermech 2xAC/20 + 2xPPC (Post 17 - Mito) [modified for 10th heatsink]
Jaggerwocky Jaggermech-6A 2xLB-10X, 4xSRM6, 2xFlamer (Post 18 - Ningyo)
DevastJager 2xGauss, 2xPPC (Post 40 - SniperCzar)
Uber-MetaJager 4xAC/5, 2xPPC (Post 40 - POOTYTANGASAUR)

Assault
STK-A100 Stalker-5M 5xALRM20, 5 tons ammo (Post 1 - Ningyo)
Vorpal Sword Banshee-3M 6xLPL (Post 24 - Ningyo)

Not really trolls but fairly unique (Some of these are suboptimal or odd but they don't have the extreme weaknesses of a true troll, like 1 ton of armor, or a 54 kph light, or way too much weaponry to use actually use.)
Nailgun FS9-H AC/2, 6xSL, JJ (Post 27 - Quickdraw Crobat)
Legend Cat 2xERLL, 2ML (Post 27 - Quickdraw Crobat)
Nipplemech Ember 2xAC/2 3 tons ammo (Post 28 - Ovion)
Fake AC40 Cataphract AC/20, 2 xLPL (Post 31 - Takashi Uchida)
UberBoomStick 5xSRM6, 5xLL (Post 40 - POOTYTANGASAUR)
OLDMETAHUNCH Gauss, 2xPPC (Post 40 - POOTYTANGASAUR)

Edited by Ningyo, 16 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#2 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Are you tired of how big and non-stealthy of a target your AC/40 Jaggermech is.
Not brave enough to run an AC/40 BoomBug Cicada.

You should take the Higurashi for a spin.

Not an AC/40 but the AC/20 + 3 ML still does a 35 damage alpha, and still gives the huge thump to scare the enemy pilot.

Sure it only goes 78 KPH and has stripped down armor. But its a small target and has ECM and the Atlas you crawl into battle beside should have most of the enemies firing at it anyway.

(not sure on my best game but it can definitely get some kills and over 500 damage)

#3 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

I present: the Cicada X5 "Firehose"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...31c19fd3a2d00c6

chain fire for best effect

#4 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

LRM Boat Commando: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...38a672dca9d41aa

I cackle with it and do reasonable amounts of damage.

#5 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Started as an urban mech - then evolved:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...565a206658fd006
I was afraid to use it for fear or defeating my own side. On my third match I got two kills and five assists! So it actually is rather lethal sometimes.

#6 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

This works

Higher pinpoint than ppc+ac meta and goes like stink,enough heatsinks for 2 alpha strikes on normal maps.Works with all Quickdraw variants.

I lost count how many 3-5 kill rounds i have had in that setup

#7 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

Clydewinder: love it, did similar using the 1 tube launcher in the raven 3L once, yours actually has a chance of breaking through 1 ECM though hehe.

Avimimus: thanks for both of them, think you should try dropping 1 ton ammo and either a JJ or the SL and going to a 180 XL though. Going to link them as you had them though, and try to name them if you want a different name edit it into your post please. EDIT: ooh just noticed on the spider you can drop the TAG, Machineguns, Machinegun ammo, 1 ton AC/2 ammo a JJ and 1.5 tons armor and make it into a DUAL AC/2 Spider hehe.

Cookiemonter669: sorry but while far from meta its just not a troll build.
Here I trolled it up for you Blinding Light Flamers to the cockpit to blind them, SRM 2s chainfired for screen shake and 2 LPL to cut them into pieces. Still barely a troll build, probably more trolly on a shadowhawk 2d (2xFlamer, 3xSRM2, AC/2, LPL) or a Raven 3L (2xFlamer, 2xSRM2, LPL, ECM)

Edited by Ningyo, 12 June 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#8 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

This is my CPLT-K2.
I think it qualifies.

Gets a kill every time I take it out, and now I have a Jagermech, my K2 is permamently using this setup.

#9 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

'Murderback' is the most entertaining trollmech I've ever built. Sure, you can get a higher alpha while still dancing around ghost heat, but it doesn't have the same feel without the uniform beam times.
Getting behind the enemy force without being spotted is insanely difficult at 91KPH, but it only adds to the fun of the build. That, and killing some metavictor in one shot.

Not sure I'd call this one usable due to the ammo restrictions, but that's why I call it 'King of thieves'. Spend the early/mid game looking for the perfect artillery strike. Once the opposition get some holes in their armor, you can put those AC/20 rounds exactly where they're needed.

Alternatively, this thing works surprisingly well against other lights that are focused on your heavies. No light pilot one likes an AC/20 in the back.

Seeing a Centurion running around at Jenner speeds: I can't decide whether it's terrifying or hilarious. You don't have much room for weapons afterwards, though I've had some great matches with this.

Finally, anything capable of kiting people for a long time is also capable of causing massive rage. The typical ERPPC Spider and 2xERLL Raven both fit this bill pretty well, but I prefer an Oxide simply because of how many people seem to hate LRMs. I've seen some people get ticked off upon simply seeing an all-LRM light.

Edited by Wraith 1, 26 June 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#10 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

LCT-1E

does surprising well by non arty/airstrike (i'm cheap) Locust using standards. have a kdr of .92 with it atm. plus the "wubwubwub" of the LPL paired with the high pitched "peeeeew" of the SL strikes me as funny, like the SL is wondering why it's even there. can still hit and run at high speed and does rather well in the 2nd half of matches where mechs start showing internals and the LPL packs enough punch to keep other lights watching their legs carefully.

i do have trouble with firestarters though with this mech but can hold my own with the majority of other lights (including cicadas) 1v1 long enough for either help to arrive or they try to disengage.

Edited by Tanar, 13 June 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#11 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Ovion: nice one, hope you like the name seemed descriptive =P

Wraith 1: your King of thieves has the wrong link I think. And the 4xLRM5 Oxide is hardly a troll build its practically a 6xLRM5 catapult but far faster. a Mini LRM boat and annoying to some players yes but fairly optimal for the variant. Named your Cent the Commando-GNT (GiaNT) because it seems just like a really oversized commando to me.

Tanar: not sure what to name yours yet going to add it though.
In the mean time I will raise your locust a

WubBug Wubwubwub.Wubwubwub.Wubwubwub just got to chainfire on this bug. Not fast enough to outrun any lights but none of them will want to be near you anyway. Just make sure you stay near your friendly assaults they will love your WubBug's built in umbrella an kindly soak up damage for you.

Got tired of playing around in my ALRM-100 Stalker so think I'll take this out for a spin and report its results later hehe. (OMG 2nd match 1K, 7assist, 608 damage {other team was acting really noob though})

Edited by Ningyo, 13 June 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#12 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Dual ac/20 bj or the win
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3789823f688522

#13 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

LCT-3M
"LURM EATER"
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...edb12bebe59cf99

Tried this out the other day, was great for some good fun. Totally inspired by B33f's video here ()

Basically, get right up on their LRM boat's ass/legs and sit there while your AMS chews their missiles before they even get past 100m (don't shoot the LRM boat or they will notice something funky is up). Tag him for extra fun. Works best in 3rd person view.

Put the capture accel. module on it and you're actually good for something else too!

Edited by xeromynd, 13 June 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#14 Bacon_Warrior88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f8cd1f9fd18e52f

Pretty nasty alpha but not to hot. Quick beam duration makes drive by's darn good

jj version

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...20012d04ff7bb5e

Edited by Tiggo Bitties, 13 June 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#15 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

Just wanna play : Its like a hopping BoomBug hehe I like.

xeromynd : Fun one, really think you should drop 1 ton of AMS ammo and move the BAP though. A Locust shooting a Flamer out of its mouth is just too good to pass up especially face-hugging LuRM boats in 3PV.

Tiggo Bitties : a question before I or preferably you name it, does it use 2x4SPL groups in chainfire, or alphastrike?

#16 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3e6043add5876fe

Want an LRM boat? Only allowed to play a light? No Clanners 4 U?

Behold. The Babbypult.

#17 Mito

Rookie

• The Scythe
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

This is fun.

TROLLBRAND

Edited by Mito, 13 June 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#18 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I have a "meta" poptart Raven 4X.... ERPPC/AC-5

Surprisingly lethal for only a 15 point alpha....

#19 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

Mito: anything you FLD, I can do better. I like it perfect for that rear torso on a light, or a medium, or heck even some heavies hehe. Had to modify it though you only had 9 heatsinks needs 10. (dropped 2 tons ammo raised engine to 255XL, could drop 2 tons ammo add 1 ton armor and a DHS instead though)

Bulletsponge0: really should have a Smurphy link so many possible ways to build a troll.

Does the enemy mech have its Vorpal sword, I think not after all they never implemented melee weapons (too bad be fun for trolling :D). As you all know the only way to kill a Jaggerwocky is the Vorpal sword otherwise it just keeps coming back battle after battle.

Jaggerwocky not descriptive enough you can name yours the sand-blaster because after 1 shot I guarantee the enemy mechs paint job will be toast.

Packing 2xLBX-10 and barely enough ammo to fire them, And 4x SRM6 and barely enough ammo to fire them. You will soon be down to your 2 trusty flamers so while the rest of your team cleans up you can toast some marshmallows for the after battle celebration.

Edited by Ningyo, 13 June 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#20 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostNingyo, on 13 June 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Ovion: nice one, hope you like the name seemed descriptive =P
I normally call it the 'Twatapult'.

Fireball is fine though. xD

People just don't know what to do when they look round and there's a Catapult coming towards you at over 80k, putting AC20 rounds into you, then the 3PV drone appears.
And that's the last thing you see as the flamers open up and your world is engulfed in fire, still being hit with an AC20 all the while.
Throw in basically assault armour at the front - good times. :D

That said, I'm looking forward to trying out Toasterback once I get my 4P, though more practically this one or maybe this one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users