Community Warfare: Immersion Suggestions

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ferventus

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Immersion is something that will take a bit of investment, while the benefit can be a sense of "belonging" in the game world (more players, more $). While I don't have a clear idea of what the current software and server package is capable of, I wanted to present possible ideas for CW "immersion" now that UI 2.0 seems to be here, and Clans are around the corner-- Some suggestions may have already been suggested, but hopefully we have some fresh ideas that will ideally be "low cost, high return". The current guess on CW is that we will have a menu with faction specific missions, and each mission will only affect basic values (maybe mech c-bill bonuses, c-bills, experience, etc). While this may still be a challenge, it is purely bare-bones, and will provide only a minimal level of immersion. The game as it currently is, is like the dogfighting shell of Star Citizen-- Intrinsic combat mechanics are fun, but the basis of CW is to introduce new and interesting metagames to the experience. MWO isn't aiming to be a $10 Steam special, is it?

The following suggestions are aimed to circumvent any changes to the existing Cryengine module, and function more like certain features found in web-based 4x titles (object parameter changes), hopefully simplifying implementation. For example, weight-limitations on drops are not integral to these suggestions. "Expanded features" suggestions are features which may be out of scope, or not worth it for current PGI implementation. TL;DR: Section headings
Maybe other players can join in on this suggestion format:

1) Territory and distance should (must!) hold some sort of inherent relevance to combat (it cannot just be a "list" of battles to pick from around the galaxy), be it having the units in the right place at the right time, supply of parts (cost of mechs, modules), or availability of spare mechs to continue a battle.

Posted Image

a) Visualization of location in game space is key to immersion: Perhaps showing up on a location in the game map, whether you are a free-roaming individual, or a unit ("attach to unit"). An actual location which you exist in also allows for factional taxes to have an effect-- A mercenary unit may want to have their base of operation be situated in a neutral, taxless, less secure zone to maximize their profit margins, as their acquisition of materials will not primarily be from factories or industrial worlds, but payout. Implementation: A 2D graphical map, location data, a little lore research.
Expanded features: Time to travel map, location dependent actions ("Join/Create front": Open up battle options to expand territory, "Build outpost": Increase defender waves, vision of unit movement in proximity, or favorable map layout on matches, "Establish supply lines": Reduce c-bill cost for mech repairs, more mechs and modules become available to purchase at normal price).

b ) Territorial disparity: Equality is not fun, and neither is it necessarily fair! For a faction with fewer Mechwarriors, or one gifted with a "disadvantaged" geopolitical situation, to gain equal per-capita rewards as a powerful, well-equipped, well-manned faction, is not "fair". It may also be nowhere near as interesting as "fighting for the underdog" or "crushing the upstarts"-- The material rewards are only half of the pie. For example, FRR is traditionally well-defended, and is difficult to invade or aggress out of (see small green territory above), with fewer "fringe zones" that are contested (contrast with FedSuns-Kurita border).
Implementation: Instead of making this a "hard-coded" limit on aggression, use rudimentary "resource points" or even path-linking-- The borders of FRR should be comprehensively networked, easy to reach from other points within the FRR territories, and easy to supply. However, moving out of this zone may make supply, or battles more difficult.
Expanded features: Dedication of jumpships to star systems (a dynamic location-based parameter) by elected faction leaders to bypass multiple jumps, and help "bridge" a normally disconnected supply line (2 planet movement instead of 1?).

Posted Image

2) Implementation of basic politics: Battletech is all about politics-- From the Exodus to the Succession Wars, we need a reason to fight! "The Capellans are pushing on New Avalon" is not as good a reason as "The Capellans are trying to make up for the loss of St. Ives". Implementation: Because territorial disparities and the rewards of expanding give people an impetus to take what's "not theirs", we simply need a time-limited council style vote option for "regions", consisting of multiple star systems (the Periphery, for example). Options for an unheld region could be: "Designate region for invasion", "Present Trial of Possession" (without having to implement batchall), and so on. Held regions: "Raze existing infrastructure" (sets region bonus to zero, which slowly recovers over time), "Hyper-pulse generator blackout" (multilateral inability to retrieve intel on units within the blackout), "Occupy region" (Sacrifice invasion currency to gain regional bonuses), and "Transfer ownership" (Transfer occupation of region to another faction, which must pay invasion currency, same as if they had "Occupied region"). Again, regional bonuses and pathing through the galaxy play a big role in "Why should we bother to invade but for the sake of fighting?" A well-led faction is not just about excellent military units, it is the application of the right units in the right places.

Posted Image

3) Unit decorations and lineage: This may be easiest to implement of all suggestions. Groups and individuals want more than a memory of their participation. A simple campaign tab for "Invasion of St. Ives, 3045" is enough for most people. Implementation: Participated in >50% of the presented battles? Get a tab! Did a unit perform exceedingly well? Factional leadership can vote to present them with a unit citation. Of course, what use is a tab if you don't have anybody to show it to? After accruing a certain number of tabs, individuals are awarded Order citations, ie: "Order of the Dragon". In Cryeengine, these can be implemented as cockpit items or special decals.
Expanded features: An in-game graphical editor for custom unit insignias would be nice, right? A unit that has completed at least one campaign could unlock the ability to use an in-game or online editor to generate a custom decal for use by their members.

Posted Image

4) Solaris: This may be the hardest to implement out of all suggestions. However, many of the building blocks for implementing "The Game World", may be re-used on CW features. Implementation: Individuals can join stables (Merc groups limited to fighting arena matches). This is a quick, low-investment way for a player to join the action in 1x1s, 4x4s, and 12v12s, and reap suitable rewards. I'm going to break my rule by suggesting that small, simplified maps for these matches would be excellent (think Coliseum). This is also a great way for MWO tournaments to be used as immersion aid, and not "see who is the best in a 12v12 on alpine colony, win a t-shirt".
Expanded features: More tabs! Rewards! Prestige!

That's it from me, just an old rambling fart who dabbled in coding and started during the MUSH and MUX days. I will finish with this: We're counting on you, PGI!

Edited by Ferventus, 10 October 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#2 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Lots of tl;dr because I'm on my phone, but I'm making up everything you posted in my head, and I like it!

I'd like to see more attack/defend objectives, maybe an ongoing linear map where sides are reinforced at lance-sized drops and regularly take and lose ground. One planet per week or so could be won or lost. I have absolutely no idea if that can be done, but it would be freaking awesome -- not MWO 8Q Awesome though, because those things suck.

Edited by Podex, 15 June 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#3 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Is this the right thread for adding CW suggestions?

My suggestions are a bit more 'down in the weeds.'

Bases in Assault for main planets need to be believably large, at least as large as some bases like we saw in MW3 or MW4.

Conquest mode can be fleshed out by having different types of resources being captured instead of just oil drilling rigs like it is now:
Warehouses (ammo & weapons), buildings (weapons R&D facilities for example, or base HQ's to capture enemy command personnel), mines and oil rigs, that sort of thing.
It would be intersting if some resources were traveling until captured, like a convoy carrying mechs, ammor, and/or weapons.
--------------------
New game modes can be implemented such as "Mission: Assassination" (just like the MW2 Mercenaries mission called "Blood For Blood.")
When the teams spawn the person in the slowest mech with the most armor is the High Value Target. The other team's mission is to kill the HVT.
Optionally, only one team has a HVT to protect, or each team can have an HVT.

HVTs need to get from starting point to an 'escape route point' without being killed.

In dual HVT sessions if one HVT is killed the session continues until either the remaining enemy HVT is killed or makes it to the safe point: a waiting dropship or hardened base.

The session ends when either both HVTs are killed or both make it to destination safely.
---------------------
"Dropship reinforcements" need to be added to add respawns & depth to our game. One dropship per person.
Leopard Class Dropships (or equivalent) would be a great choice because they can only hold 4 mechs. A decent "balance" is to limit the weight even though there are 4 bays.
So if the tonnage limit is set to 125 tons, you can drop with (for example) an Atlas and a Commando.
Or a Hunchback and a Thunderbolt.
Or 3 Ravens.
Any mix and match you choose as long as you don't go over the tonnage limit.

You put them in "order of release" and then spawn in your first choice. If it's killed the Dropship flies in and drops off your second mech and you continue the battle. Leopard Class Dropships are great for the "fly in, drop off, and fly away role."
------------------------

Edited by HeroForHire, 23 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users