127 replies to this topic

#1 Diablobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

If PGI decides to throw all the Clan small and medium lasers into the same group and cap them at 10 for ghost heat, what other mechs does this affect? I can't think of any others. As far as I can tell, the only other mech that can even approach 10 energy slots is the Daishi, and it only has 9. I'm not even sure there are ANY IS or Clan mechs no matter what the era that have 10 energy slots, much less 12. Can anyone think of any?

If PGI doesn't like having a Clan mech firing 12 lasers all at once, then they should just leave the Nova out of the released mechs. Say something along the lines of "Sorry, it's OP, and you can't have it". Give us the Fenris or Dragonfly instead. Do that, or just take away two of the energy slots for the Prime. Both ideas are horrible, but not as horrible as capping the lasers at 10.

I know, I know. "You're not supposed to fire them all at once." That still doesn't change the fact that their proposed ghost heat penalty completely breaks a stock build. Even in TT, it is still possible to alpha it AND jump and not shut down if you roll high enough to avoid shutdown. Firing all 12 and jumping 5 only gives you +29 heat. It's not an automatic shutdown, and even if you do, it is a desperation tactic that is quite valid. It certainly shouldn't be penalized even further than it already is WITHOUT ghost heat.

PGI should either group the small and medium lasers separately, or they should raise the combined cap to 12. I think the 6 medium and 6 small caps were fine. They affected the Daishi, and the Nova was able to work with it. Now this new cap only affects the Nova Prime. I don't see any better way to deal with the Nova Prime. Do you guys have any better ideas?

Edit: I have misunderstood the summary of the nerfs. Someone just told me that the cap is still 6, but the mediums and smalls are still grouped together. OMFG this is a nightmare if true. I have never been even close to quitting a game because of frustration, but this nerf is sorely testing me.

Edited by Diablobo, 14 June 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostDiablobo, on 14 June 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Do you guys have any better ideas?

Yes.

Kill Posted Image heat. Kill it with fire and then nuke it from orbit, and then call an Exterminatus on it just to be sure.

#3 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

I was thinking something like giving the Prime Omnipods a quirk that allows them to fire 12, but then I realized that the cap of 10 only affects the Nova Prime. I don't get it.

#4 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

It's not capped at 10. It's all Clan small and medium lasers capped in a max group of 6.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 14 June 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#5 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostDiablobo, on 14 June 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

I was thinking something like giving the Prime Omnipods a quirk that allows them to fire 12, but then I realized that the cap of 10 only affects the Nova Prime. I don't get it.

This is actually the way they need to approach this with the Nova and any mech that naturally goes beyond there own "ghost heat" system.

For the Nova Prime they need to give just its 2 arms a stacking Ghost Heat raise. So each Arm would increase the Ghost Heat by 3 for ERML only, so if you had one arm you would have 9 ML be fine, and add in the other arm it would up it to 12, but for the ERML ONLY.

#6 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 14 June 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

It's not capped at 10. It's all Clan small and medium lasers capped in a max group of 6.

This whole ghost heat thing is getting a bit silly.

Not that it wasn't already....but...it's really starting to become a catch all band aid fix when it should be core mechanics being revised instead.

But,whatever I guess.I'm just along for the ride.

Edited by Alexandrix, 14 June 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#7 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 14 June 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

You need to have a link to the exact text in your clipboard so you can spread the word :huh:.

#8 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Woot more Ghost Heat - PGI has Ghost for Brains.

#9 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Completely unacceptable. The smalls and mediums need to be separated. This is the worst thing I have ever heard a developer do to a game.

#10 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Just don't alpha strike with the nova. The nova was not meant to alpha strike. It is meant to have heat issues. In TT an alpha strike from this thing almost guarrantees an instant shut down. If you don't alpha strike you won't even see an issue with this.

#11 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Wasn't it this way before?

You mean you will have to wait 0.5 seconds after firing your 42 DMG x6 Er mediums before you can fire your 30 dmg x6 Er smalls?

Good gravy.

Posted Image

#12 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 14 June 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

Wasn't it this way before?

You mean you will have to wait 0.5 seconds after firing your 42 DMG x6 Er mediums before you can fire your 30 dmg x6 Er smalls?

Good gravy.

Posted Image
It's more a matter of having 12x Er Smalls COOK YOUR MECH, and having the Emergency/Panic Button option of alpha striking all 12 of your mediums work out like this:

(Footage of a Jade Falcon attempting to alpha strike in a post-patch Nova)

#13 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostSephlock, on 14 June 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

It's more a matter of having 12x Er Smalls COOK YOUR MECH, and having the Emergency/Panic Button option of alpha striking all 12 of your mediums work out like this:

(Footage of a Jade Falcon attempting to alpha strike in a post-patch Nova)

That is basically what is supposed to happen to a nova that alphas

#14 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Now, instead of being a last ditch effort to take down an enemy with a final strike, knowing you will shut down for quite some time, it is certain death for you.

At best:

View PostNoth, on 14 June 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

That is basically what is supposed to happen to a nova that alphas
In the evil, fun hating universe, sure.

#15 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

There is balance and then there is just plain nonsense. If the Clans get capped at 6, then the IS mechs should be as well. Are they trying to tell us that the Clans haven't figured out how to fire more than six smalls and mediums while the IS has? That is complete hogwash.

Edited by Diablobo, 14 June 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#16 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostSephlock, on 14 June 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Now, instead of being a last ditch effort to take down an enemy with a final strike, knowing you will shut down for quite some time, it is certain death for you.

At best:

In the evil, fun hating universe, sure.

again, it is so simple to avoid this issue all together... it's called waiting .5 seconds to fire the other arm. The nova cat is not meant to alpha. Even as a last ditch effort without ghost heat you'd likely cook your self completely as you'd probably be at high heat anyways.

View PostDiablobo, on 14 June 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

There is balance and then there is just plain nonsense. If the Clans get capped at 6, then the IS mechs should be as well. Are they trying to tell us that the Clans haven't figured out how to fire more than six smalls and mediums while the IS has? That is complete hogwash.

IS is capped at 6. They can't fire more than 6 mediums without incuring ghost heat. This simply means that you can fire 6 ermed(no ghost heat there) with 4 small (for a total of 10 lasers at once without ghost heat).

edit: However, if you fire 7 mediums and 3 smalls you will get ghost heat because 7 is more than 6 despite you still firing 10 lasers.

Edited by Noth, 14 June 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#17 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

Giving a mech 12 energy slots and only allowing 6 of them to fire at once is just a cruel sick joke. If I was a mechwarrior, I would kick the designer's butt.

"Get back to the drawing board and fix this crap! What are you trying to do, make an EZ Bake Oven or an Omnimech?"

#18 Black Arachne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

The so called band aid - is becoming a cancer. Re-work the heat system already.

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

View PostDiablobo, on 14 June 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

Giving a mech 12 energy slots and only allowing 6 of them to fire at once is just a cruel sick joke. If I was a mechwarrior, I would kick the designer's butt.

"Get back to the drawing board and fix this crap! What are you trying to do, make an EZ Bake Oven or an Omnimech?"

Cooking Mama: Omnimech Edition. Coming soon™ to a store near you.

#20 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

I was just about to buy a Nova before this change. Grats PGI, now you aren't getting my money. I hope you're happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users