51 replies to this topic

#1 Liam Salem

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Last time I checked, Omnipods meant ANYTHING could be equipped in that spot. They weren't part of a set that limited you to one or two of a particular type.

If this is how the Omnipods are going to be set-up, who else agrees with me that the clan mech's are just a waste of money? Seriously. I LOVE the TimberWolf. I couldn't wait to make a variant with twin gauss. Then I find out that the Dev's just put interchangeable hardpoints onto the mechs?

The HELL!? Seriously. I could understand, say, limiting the number of weapons on a spot. But limiting the type of weaponry? Sounds more like a suggestion for me to get a refund on my two Ala Carte mechs.

Anyone else feel this way? Die hard fans of mech's excluded here of course. You guys couldn't care less about the loadouts, just if you get to pilot the mech itself. Lol your opinions are going to be slanted.

(Content griping follows after here. Not important really)

I didn't realize though that I was playing a typical MMO where set-based gear was going to be part of playing. Next they might even add free roam -.-'

(end griping)

Anyoe else who agrees that Clan Omni's should be TRUE Clan Omni's and not the ones that come on the Hermes?

#2 Wardsylvania

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMercer Island, WA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Liam, I think this is a critical balancing tool. Clan mechs already seem a little OP. Imagine if there were no hard point restrictions on Omnimechs, the kind of crazy builds people would be running. Balance would be difficult if not impossible. My opinion anyway.

The Timberwolf S supports dual gauss, so you can still have your desired build.

#3 StormDll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

Balancing? Tell this Nova Prime ghostheat

#4 Liam Salem

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

I do agree that they are OP but, that was how they were supposed to be for a while. For at least...i believe 2 years or so (Haven't read much lore in a while so I may be a year off), the clans simply destroyed the IS mechs but even so, a good pilot in an IS mech could take down a clan mech.

From an objective standpoint, you are right, but only if they allowed both any amount of weaponry equipped and every kind. Easiest way, IMO, to do clan omni's, would be to not limit them to a weapon type but perhaps a certain number of weapons.

I just can't say that I'm too pleased with how they've done the omnipods. Enough displeasure to merit my wanting to 'return' the mechs, even though I'm fairly certain they don't do refunds.

All they've done with the Omnipods, from what I can tell, is simply created a method to change hardpoints on mechs without truly making omnipods.

All in all, balancing shouldn't be an issue. But then again, I can't say that they should stick to lore if they wanted to because if so, there would be a lot of tech that shouldn't exist yet, as well as mechs that should be already added.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised that they wouldn't be willing to stay true to Omnitech lore either.

#5 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I prefer that system. That allow still some restriction and avoid completly wtf build.

#6 Muncehead

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWorcestershire UK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

A lot of the design decisions are always trying to balance the game so no mech has total dominance. Omnipod system may not be lore but provides for some nice options on chassis.

#7 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

you can fit nearly any combo anyway 4 balistic spots 6 enargy 4 missile
even the nover cat can offset its lasers with balistics

Edited by Frost Lord, 17 June 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#8 Maverick3

• Pip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEichenau

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

I like how omni pod are actually. you get 3 Mechs per chassis and are then able to configure whatever weapon combination you want considering the omnipod options.

From the lore point of view there is a lot more customizing allowed than it should be. In lore a Clan Pilot would NOT choose what configuration he drives but instead would be assigned his omni config prior to battle. Imagine to go into Skirmish ALWAYS in the Prime config, into Assualt with the A config and into Skirmish with C/D config. Thats how lore would be. Clan customs are only allowed at blooded level with rank StarColonel or up. In game terms. you would have to unlock the Mechlab on Master level.

The Set bonus is only a 2,5% xp bonus. Now be honest do you need that, still ?. The normal stat changes on the other hand that come along with the diversity of Mech-Omni-Pods is something that's real close to pay to win right now.
Btw. According to Lore the S configs were City fighting configurations against infantry and assigned to garrison units. Something that was never in any of the Assaults from 3049-3052. These S configs show the power of omni tech. You suddenly have Jump jets. From an Engeeniers point of view this is ridiculesness with no changes in the chasis apearance.

I could go on an on but final sentance I like how they did it and away more chassis (Maddog, executioner, Fenris, Dasher)

#9 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

Also You need 3 Variants to EXP .

#10 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

I think we all have to realise that "Lore" existed before this particular game and in reality, Lore may not work for a game, it works in a story. For a game to be successful it has to be fair and that means both sides are equal even if they are different. That is going to mean that Clan Mechs vs Is Mechs is going to be an equal match.
The next thing to take into consideration is that if Clan is totally OP, then all IS will become redundant and all IS mech owners will either quit or purchase Clan mechs. I'm totally new to mech's, only discovered through this game but I'll bet 500 c-bills that IS mech pilots quitting or purchasing clan mechs is not in the Lore either.
It has to be this way, software developers have expenses like wages to pay and if the customers stop paying, the shop will go bankrupt. Thats a business Law not Mech Lore.
Anyways, looking forward to taking apart your Basic Clan Mechs with my Mastered IS Mechs for a while yet.

#11 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

View PostGenghisJr, on 17 June 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

I think we all have to realise that "Lore" existed before this particular game and in reality, Lore may not work for a game, it works in a story. For a game to be successful it has to be fair and that means both sides are equal even if they are different. That is going to mean that Clan Mechs vs Is Mechs is going to be an equal match.
The next thing to take into consideration is that if Clan is totally OP, then all IS will become redundant and all IS mech owners will either quit or purchase Clan mechs. I'm totally new to mech's, only discovered through this game but I'll bet 500 c-bills that IS mech pilots quitting or purchasing clan mechs is not in the Lore either.
It has to be this way, software developers have expenses like wages to pay and if the customers stop paying, the shop will go bankrupt. Thats a business Law not Mech Lore.
Anyways, looking forward to taking apart your Basic Clan Mechs with my Mastered IS Mechs for a while yet.

I have well over 400,000 xp saved up on various mastered IS mechs that says many of my clan mechs will be mastered almost straight away... ;)

Good Luck, and Good Hunting mate.

#12 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostPetard, on 17 June 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

I have well over 400,000 xp saved up on various mastered IS mechs that says many of my clan mechs will be mastered almost straight away... :)

Good Luck, and Good Hunting mate.

Same, 477,000 actually ;)

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

View PostMaverick3, on 17 June 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

I like how omni pod are actually. you get 3 Mechs per chassis and are then able to configure whatever weapon combination you want considering the omnipod options.

From the lore point of view there is a lot more customizing allowed than it should be. In lore a Clan Pilot would NOT choose what configuration he drives but instead would be assigned his omni config prior to battle. Imagine to go into Skirmish ALWAYS in the Prime config, into Assualt with the A config and into Skirmish with C/D config. Thats how lore would be. Clan customs are only allowed at blooded level with rank StarColonel or up. In game terms. you would have to unlock the Mechlab on Master level.

The Set bonus is only a 2,5% xp bonus. Now be honest do you need that, still ?. The normal stat changes on the other hand that come along with the diversity of Mech-Omni-Pods is something that's real close to pay to win right now.
Btw. According to Lore the S configs were City fighting configurations against infantry and assigned to garrison units. Something that was never in any of the Assaults from 3049-3052. These S configs show the power of omni tech. You suddenly have Jump jets. From an Engeeniers point of view this is ridiculesness with no changes in the chasis apearance.

I could go on an on but final sentance I like how they did it and away more chassis (Maddog, executioner, Fenris, Dasher)

Pretty much the same for the Inner Sphere, even worse.

#14 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostCorralis, on 17 June 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

Same, 477,000 actually ;)

Just checked properly, 622,500, should make a few of my babies perform at elite level straight away just nicely..... :)

#15 Innocent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostLiam Salem, on 16 June 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

If this is how the Omnipods are going to be set-up, who else agrees with me that the clan mech's are just a waste of money? Seriously. I LOVE the TimberWolf. I couldn't wait to make a variant with twin gauss. Then I find out that the Dev's just put interchangeable hardpoints onto the mechs?

(

You can build a dual guass Timberwolf.

#16 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Prime right torso, S left torso, gives you two ballistic torsos to gauss mount, jump jet capable if you desire, but only around 4 tons for ammo with just the two gauss rifles.

#17 Liam Salem

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

The only problem I have is that with the lore, Pod space is what limited the Omnimechs weapon fire power. IS mechs were able to carry more firepower but Omnimechs carried better weaponry.

Again, balancing isn't an issue. In my opinion, it was simply to avoid people whining about it being unfair, even though eventually you will be able to buy Clan Mechs for C-bills.But that reasoning I could actually understand them doing it that way. A job in retail says that.

just feel they should have remembered about pod space instead of giving interchangeable hard points.

And saying it's to keep it fair for new players is completely BS and disrespectful to old players and veterans. It's like saying to them "We don't care how long you've been here. We don't want anyone having an advantage at all."

It's almost comparable to saying that ComStar should have just shared all their technology with the Inner Sphere instead of holding out on them for so long.

#18 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

From what I heard this is actual tabletop if you read about it on sarna it says that omni pods helps reduce repair time as repairs on idivual parts can be done instead of an entire chassis, so basicly to repair a right arm you just swap it with another right arm of the same chassis.

#19 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostPetard, on 17 June 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

Just checked properly, 622,500, should make a few of my babies perform at elite level straight away just nicely..... :D

Yes, I was looking last night, will have to do some converting to GXP, I have north of 1.2 mil XP on my favorite chassis, over 300k alone on my HGN-733C

#20 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

6 posts... did you make the account just to complain?

Seriously you dont even have any good points, hell you even said "Again, balancing isn't an issue."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users