6 replies to this topic

#1 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I reciently got a new (for me) laptop that's allowed me to crank up the settings beyond low. The game looks and plays much better now, but I want to get the most out of it.

Somewhere, there was a post by the Devs that had a list of which settings were the most resource intensive, which were the least, and which will have the most noticable visual improvements. For the life of me I can't find it, and the only one I can remember was Textures being a low FPS impact but high visual improvement toggle (and it has proved to be the case so far).

Anyone able to help me either find that or explain what all the in game visual settings do? (I don't want to go nuts tweaking the user.cfg beyond what I have, which is to remove film grain, depth of view, and cockpit glass, which already gives me some added FPS.

Thanks in advance.

#2 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

The search function on this website is not optimized at all, it just pulls randomly, not caring about time, and has no way to be more advanced or add filters.

And that's why I can't help you.

#3 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

turn off damage glow, turn down particles. and turn off turbo boost on the laptop, people hafe found this to make a huge difference on laptops.

Edited by Shamous13, 19 June 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#4 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostShamous13, on 19 June 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

turn off damage glow, turn down particles. and turn off turbo boost on the laptop, people hafe found this to make a huge difference on laptops.

I found damage glow didn't make a difference on the new PC (it did on the old one), and I don't think I have turbo boost on this. It's a second Gen i7 2.2 Ghz with a GTX 560M video card (Compared to my old 1.6 Ghz 1st gen i7 with a GTS 360M).

On medium I get good frame rates. Pushed textures up to high so far, and I think I dropped particle effects. getting between 35-40 FPS on maps where I have issues, have seen a pretty consistant 50 on other maps. And unlike my previous PC, the FPS doesn't drop when I spot other mechs (outside of the first few times when it had to cache them on first sight). Mostly curious if I can tweak them to get better FPS and a better looking game. As long as FPS stays in the 35+ range, I'm happy.

View PostTechnoviking, on 19 June 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

The search function on this website is not optimized at all, it just pulls randomly, not caring about time, and has no way to be more advanced or add filters.

And that's why I can't help you.

I used Google. No help either. It might even be from an email I got from support a while ago. I'll have to check.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

So, no one's got any idea?

#6 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Off the top of my head;
  • Textures are about RAM on your card; If you see a fps issue with textures, you need to set the user.cfg string for VRAM, and if it's stll a problem get a new card; Medium seems to take up about 800MB
  • Post Processing at very high loses it's bang-for-buck: Leave it at meerly high
  • Shading in MWO is called Quality in any other CryEngine game, and seems to speak striclty about GPU load, at about 10 percentage points a pop on a GTX 680: turning this down is how you upon up budget for effects like Ambant Occulation, which, IIRC, are in
  • Environment in MWO is the combonation of Water, Volumictic Effects, and CryEngine Shading: This slider is one of the CPU Sesitve, but it's bang-for-buck is a point of debate (moves the CPU little, zero reduction in image quality/ immersion as you turn it down)
  • Shadows pounds the CPU greatly: Never set higher then medium
  • Paricals is Pure Evil to a CPU: never set higher then medium
  • Object Detail eats RAM on the card, uses CPU cycles via an unspecified thread, and is really important to how the game looks, and thus is the setting you will work to keep higher
I'll fix this post somethime after I have a pot of coffee or so …

Look: Threads in Hardware where I post is pretty much what you are looking for; head to my profile, search for content there, and keep an eye out for the thread title.

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

My plan is to update the OP once I'm done to make an easy to find thread explaining this.

I still keep forgetting to check my support emails.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users