Guide

31 replies to this topic

#21 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostTim East, on 05 July 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

You can buy efficiencies? With RL money? Didn't realize that. I've been grinding them out the F2P way. Almost got my second crop of lights (Locusts) done.

He means converting XP to GXP using MC and just paying for all efficiencies straight away, without even having to play the mech to get elite access to the variant you want.

#22 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

View Postqki, on 06 July 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

[size=4]

He means converting XP to GXP using MC and just paying for all efficiencies straight away, without even having to play the mech to get elite access to the variant you want.

Oh lol no I actually thought there were "mastery packs" u could buy which would immediately get you the mech mastered. Must have heard wrong

#23 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostUrsh, on 06 July 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

More of a guide for a beginner player, rather than a free to play, never gonna pay player.

Yeah the "play for yourself" thing might be something I should take out. It's more of a tongue-in-cheek prod at how hard we have to grind in this game. But yes it is aimed at someone just getting into the game, because I feel like those are the people who are going to be least likely to even consider buying anything. I agree that it does make sense to get yourself some mechbays if you plan on investing a lot of time into the game. Path of Exile sells 'stash tabs' the same way.

View PostUrsh, on 06 July 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

If you're able-bodied and at least 16, you can work a part time job.

Once again, it's none of your business how anyone makes or spends their money.

Edited by Vodage, 06 July 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#24 The Dancing Joker

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

As wasteful and time consuming as it may be. You can have 4 mastered Clan 'mechs ready for the upcoming dropship mode. Without ever spending money. Some could see this as an on going game. Rather than rushing to the end-game. Just takes determination.

#25 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

^Not sure what that comment means, but yes, once clan mechs come out for C-Bills, we will be able to get them without spending money.

As far as this being an ongoing game, I agree, but rushing to your basic X2 multipliers makes sense.
Until then, your mech is nerf and you really have no idea if your builds are any good.

#26 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostVodage, on 06 July 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

Oh lol no I actually thought there were "mastery packs" u could buy which would immediately get you the mech mastered. Must have heard wrong

Knowing your subject material is not needed to write instructions?

#27 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:50 AM

I disagree with the OP about gamemodes :
  • don't play conquest because it's where you earn the least cbills
    • thanks QQ for this => http://www.qqmercs.com/?p=3945
    • tracking my stats, i can confirm this : on average and with premium time, i gain 152k cbills per match in assault/skirmish, and 137k cbills per match in conquest.
  • skirmish is fine because when you're dead, you can see other play their mech and your questions will have more chance to get an answer.

#28 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostEscef, on 17 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

Knowing your subject material is not needed to write instructions?

Knowing what u can buy with MC is not required for a Cbill-only guide, no.

View PostSgtKinCaiD, on 18 July 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

I disagree with the OP about gamemodes :
  • don't play conquest because it's where you earn the least cbills
    • thanks QQ for this => http://www.qqmercs.com/?p=3945
    • tracking my stats, i can confirm this : on average and with premium time, i gain 152k cbills per match in assault/skirmish, and 137k cbills per match in conquest.
  • skirmish is fine because when you're dead, you can see other play their mech and your questions will have more chance to get an answer.

Yea, I usually disconnect instead of wait around when I'm dead, but that's personal preference. So, you've been tracking your stats and have found that you earn more cbills in As/Sk than Cq? Neat. Would never have guessed. Honestly I usually just queue for everything. It looks like I might have to go back and spruce up the guide a bit. If I'd known it'd get this many views, I'd've made it a bit less opinionated :D

Edited by Vodage, 18 July 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#29 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostVodage, on 18 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Knowing what u can buy with MC is not required for a Cbill-only guide, no.

But not knowing is being very ignorant, and makes us question your thoroughness and accuracy.

#30 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostVodage, on 19 June 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

3.) Play for yourself, not for your team.

Stopped reading here. The is the absolute worst advice that you could possibly give a new player, or any player for that matter.

This is a TEAM game. You win and have fun by playing with the TEAM. I don't care if you C-bill average is 40-50k or lower WITH PREMIUM BONUS (mine was for some time), the second you play this game for "the fastest way to grind" the quickest you will loss all enjoyment.

#31 TyrEol

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

Since I'm unsure what the terms of service say regarding having multiple accounts, then I guess I wouldn't recommend that without you going away and reading them in detail, but I've seen people who do swap accounts to get a different mech.

Something you've missed maybe because it's not happened in the last month or two, is that sometime there are weekend events / tournaments with rewards for participation you don't have to win. In the past these have included free trial Centurion mech + mech bay, free mech bay, free new thunderbolt + mechbay. Had someone been playing over the last year and managed to catch all of these even with a single account they could have 7 mech bays having paid for no MC. The important thing here being to keep in touch with the announcement posts (or just pay attention to your email).

Sometimes free premium time is injected when there's server outages and such (more recently it's activated), but it used to turn up banked, you can use that for extra cbills.

Private matches can also be fun (but generate no cbills) only the team leaders need premium time to unlock all the options so make some friends (house / community team speak, community advertised events see the OutreachHPG redit) and contribute in other ways to the group.

As time goes on and you're not cbill poor anymore, remember you can get basic paints for cbills so there's no need to wander around looking like you're at duck hunt all the time in drab green.

Remember there's a lot more to this game than grinding out cbills, if that was the only thing then why even bother playing it's not real money anyway!

Also as a final note, in my opinion (meaning I don't require anyone to agree) there are a lot of paid for elements about this game that are overpriced compared to other online games (ok almost all of them), but mech bays are the exception, they don't expire and you can sell the mech in them and reuse them.

#32 Vodage

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

View PostDarkonFullPower, on 18 July 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Stopped reading here. The is the absolute worst advice that you could possibly give a new player, or any player for that matter.

This is a TEAM game. You win and have fun by playing with the TEAM. I don't care if you C-bill average is 40-50k or lower WITH PREMIUM BONUS (mine was for some time), the second you play this game for "the fastest way to grind" the quickest you will loss all enjoyment.

You're absolutely right. I was just frustrated with how I tend to prefer solo drops when I'm grinding, and thus I can't group up with clanmates, etc, and do some real teamplay. That passage doesn't belong in the guide, and has been removed. Sry about that B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users