Maps Mode

No replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

I previously did a review of Turrets before the patch that lowered Turret Health. I was going to follow it up further and in writing, the follow up evolved into one for each map (similar maps grouped together) covering all three modes.

COMMON HEADER INFORMATION TO ALL MAP & MODE REVIEWS
Maps will either be listed with Smurfy links when you can mouse over Lance and Turret locations to see what is where at match start. I will provide a map image or two of my own modified from Smurfy’s with marking showing in White outlined areas where typical combat is at least in my ELO bracket and possible recommendations for new Turret locations for reasons described, these will be in SPOILER sections. If two maps are similar (ex: Frozen City & Frozen City Night) I will combine them into one review noting any differences between them.

This is the first in the series on a map with 2 versions I especially dislike in one mode.

I would like to note one common thing about Turrets on all Maps.
With a LRM Turret having 2LRM10s (unknown if Artemis is present), I think of these as a Medium LRM Mech.
With a Laser Turret having 2 Medium Lasers, these are slightly less firepower then even a Locust.
Given the ‘Mech equivalent strength of the two Turret types, I believe the LRM one may be one launcher size too big and should be dropped to twin LRM5s.

CAUSTIC VALLEY
All modes have the same Lances names opposite each other (Alpha vs. Alpha, etc.). Given that any pre-mades will usually be in Alpha, that means if there is one pre-made per side, they start against each other.

Now let’s get you the Visitor’s Guide. Note, some of the locations are called by Community Names I know of, others I don’t and some I just plain made up.
In this map:

The White Line circles the Caldera where heat is higher than anywhere else.
The Green line circles the Refinery buildings.
The Purple line outlines the south Lake, water is not deep enough to submerge to any degree.
The Orange line outlines the north Lake that has little islands, water is not deep enough to submerge to any degree.

SKIRMISH MODE

Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting with combat circling the Caldera, sometimes going in it.

CONQUEST MODE
Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting with combat circling the Caldera, sometimes going in it. At start, the team near Gamma will send 1-2 to Epsilon, Sigma team sends 1-2 to Kappa, from there it is anyone’s guess who goes after what points.

ASSAULT MODE
Gameplay - Again, a majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting with combat circling the Caldera, sometimes going in it. It is interesting to note the 2 LRM Turrets near each base are actually vulnerable here though I am not sure how many know about that. It could be possible to snipe them at range making base approaches easier, I have never tried using a Light to move in close to remove them within the 0-180 meter range where they cannot touch you, doing so requires knowing the best place for cover while eliminating a LRM Turret up close so ML Turrets and other LRMs do not touch you.

PERSONAL CHANGES SUGGESTIONS
Not much to complain about, it would be interesting to see combat in B4-5. I find it odd there is a ML Turret in the back of each base, on other maps that is where an LRM Turret would be and it is not easy to approach these bases from the rear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users