Maps Mode

No replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I previously did a review of Turrets before the patch that lowered Turret Health. I was going to follow it up further and in writing, the follow up evolved into one for each map (similar maps grouped together) covering all three modes.

COMMON HEADER INFORMATION TO ALL MAP & MODE REVIEWS
Maps will either be listed with Smurfy links when you can mouse over Lance and Turret locations to see what is where at match start. I will provide a map image or two of my own modified from Smurfy’s with marking showing in White outlined areas where typical combat is at least in my ELO bracket and possible recommendations for new Turret locations for reasons described, these will be in SPOILER sections. If two maps are similar (ex: Frozen City & Frozen City Night) I will combine them into one review noting any differences between them.

This is the first in the series on a map with 2 versions I especially dislike in one mode.

I would like to note one common thing about Turrets on all Maps.
With a LRM Turret having 2LRM10s (unknown if Artemis is present), I think of these as a Medium LRM Mech.
With a Laser Turret having 2 Medium Lasers, these are slightly less firepower then even a Locust.
Given the ‘Mech equivalent strength of the two Turret types, I believe the LRM one may be one launcher size too big and should be dropped to twin LRM5s.

CRIMSON STRAIT
All modes have the same Lances names opposite each other (Alpha vs. Alpha, etc.). Given that any pre-mades will usually be in Alpha, that means if there is one pre-made per side, they start against each other.

Now let’s get you the Visitor’s Guide. Note, some of the locations are called by Community Names I know of, others I don’t and some I just plain made up.
In this map:

The White Line is the rail line.
The Green line outlines the elevated shipping Platform allowing two story comabt.
The Purple line outlines the Pass, one of two routes between divided city sections.
The Orange line outlines the three way tunnel, part of the second route between divided city sections.
The Tan line outlines an interesting slope that can be climbed but goes nowhere.
The Yellow line outlines an area with climbable paths that also go nowhere.
More on the Tan and Yellow areas will be described in the last section.

SKIRMISH MODE

Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting. One thing to watch for is Bravo Lance starting in B2, if you find yourself here you might be vulnerable and should not venture off on your own. The team starting in the 2 row (B2, D2, F2) is spread apart by about 2 grid squares each while the opposing team in the 7 row (B7, C7, D7) is closer together, about 1 grid square apart from the next Lance. This means the 7 row team can group quicker and if they have Mechs with enough speed and long range weapons, they can ambush an unprepared B2 Lance.

CONQUEST MODE
Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting. At start, the team near Sigma will go for Kappa, maybe Lights to Theta, then possibly send 1-3 to Gamma, Gamma team sends Lights and fast Mechs to Theta with the rest heading to Epsilon. Some players on the Sigma team might go straight to Epsilon expecting the Gamma team there, Mechs capping Theta might try a long run through the water to Sigma, only once have I seen a Gamma Mech try getting Kappa through the pass.

ASSAULT MODE
Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting. This mode is interesting since it is one map where the bases are actually vulnerable to capping by even 1 Light pilot who knows what he is doing. The LRM Turrets are actually able to be taken out through smart play leaving cappers to deal with nothing a small number of ML Turrets.
How to cap the F1 base - I have done this with a Locust alone. Approach by going theough the A/B row city to the 1 row then follow the water near the map edge, the LRM Turret at the E1/F1 border will shoot but if you watch and have AMS, you can dodge all to most of the damage. Move right up to the building this Turret is on so you have cover from other Turrets then move back a bit just enough to see this LRM Turret and take it out. Run around the coastline to the other side to do the same to the other LRM Turret. If you try to run through the base, there is a ML Turret close by in F2 that could shoot you and even running through the base will alert the opposing team. After both LRM Turrets are gone, only 1 ML Turret in F2 can shoot you while capping, it can be avoided by correct positioning behind the vehicular base in the base area and you will still be capping.
How to cap the B6 base - Usually the team tries to do this by going through the pass after defeating any enemies in the way. However, this route I have not tried but it should work though you might run across anyone trying the above cap route. Follow the water to B1 then follow the coastline along the A row, this coastline has the city elevated above the water so you may go unnoticed by opposing team members in the area. As you get near the base, B5 has a LRM Turret near the coast whose missiles you will dodge as above then take it out, the terrain should block the ML Turret in B5 from shooting you. Now you have a choice, either start capping or try taking out the LRM Turret in C6 but note it is on a high platform/building with 2 ML Turrets near it. Best way to take this Turret out would require Jump Jets to get on the same height while keeping enough building between you and the ML Turrets so you can safely kill the LRM Turret.

PERSONAL CHANGES SUGGESTIONS
I admit I would like to see the current out of bounds area around F5 & F6 opened up. While having only 2 paths between map areas has some challenge, 3 would be more interesting. This is where the Tan and Yellow areas come in, there are already slopes that can be climbed to reach this area, all that is missing is the spot in between.
About Assault, I like how the bases have a vulnerability and hope it stays, it is a refreshing change from some other maps where bases are hard to break due to Turret placement. This also shows Health alone is not the issue with Turrets, placement matters too. Just wanted that clear so there is no belief that the vulnerabilities need fixing, all bases have some kind of vulnerability and so should the ones in this game.
Conquest might need changed base locations. Sigma team has a 2 grid square walk to Kappa then most go to fight at Epsilon while Gamma team can try to get Epsilon but has to fight for it. Theta is either taken by Gamma team or fought over by fast Mechs. Seems Sigma has the best starting arrangment currently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users