150 replies to this topic

#121 Chive On

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLittle Gasparilla island

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

With the recent round of nerfs, I broke down and put four LRM15's and tag on my WARHAWK.

I did it as more of a joke...

OMG is there no ghost heat with Clan LRM's? I don't even want to type that for fear they will "fix" them as well.

Maybe it's because it's mastered or that it has 300 built in non removable hat sinks?

I feel dirty using it.

#122 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

All you guys that keep listing the Stalkers are bad. The best IS LRM boats are the Orion-VA, Battlemaster-1S and the Awesome 8V and 8R if you plan to take lots of 3x LRM15s or 2x LRM15s and 2x LRM10s. As Kjudoon said on page 1, the Kintaro-18 for the Mediums with the Shadowhawk-2D2 and Griffin-3M as back ups.

#123 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostNgamok, on 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

All you guys that keep listing the Stalkers are bad. The best IS LRM boats are the Orion-VA, Battlemaster-1S and the Awesome 8V and 8R if you plan to take lots of 3x LRM15s or 2x LRM15s and 2x LRM10s. As Kjudoon said on page 1, the Kintaro-18 for the Mediums with the Shadowhawk-2D2 and Griffin-3M as back ups.

The STK chassis has been at the top of the LRM boating ladders for a long time. Yeah, it suffers from small tube counts, but it can still bring the pain. I personally prefer to see Stalkers as SRM boats instead, tbh.

#124 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 12 August 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

The STK chassis has been at the top of the LRM boating ladders for a long time. Yeah, it suffers from small tube counts, but it can still bring the pain. I personally prefer to see Stalkers as SRM boats instead, tbh.

*Pats one of the lauchers on the 3H*

Soooon :P

#125 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostNgamok, on 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

All you guys that keep listing the Stalkers are bad.

I don't think they're bad, just out of date. Stalkers are still more than respectable in the role, but the BLR-1S has eclipsed it.

#126 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Cpult has probably the better ballance of the lurm boats with speed jumpjets and whatnot. Pure firepower though would be the 5 missle slot Stalker. Sure it'll move slow but, LRM 100'+ tag... Awww yeah. Awesomes I liked to boat with because they're relatively quick when geared out and hold a good amount of missles. Also, it's torso twist and arms make it somewhat possible to evade sniper fire :)

I've no clue with the clan stuff though, but from what i've seen IS has the superior lrm boats (because they launch closer together whereas clan missles can be evaded through the stream of lurms) Just my 2 cents though.

#127 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Just in case you were wondering, Kit Fox can into boating.

#128 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

The catapult is a somewhat different story. It can be played aggressive even in ECM-enviroment. Use of TAG and Artemis opens up for jumpsniping with LRMs. TAG/Artemis gives a tight grouping with much more damage to CT. Much more entertaining to play compared to just hang back and fire at any locked target.

Edited by Evil Ed, 12 August 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#129 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostEvil Ed, on 12 August 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

The catapult is a somewhat different story. It can be played aggressive even in ECM-enviroment. Use of TAG and Artemis opens up for jumpsniping with LRMs. TAG/Artemis gives a tight grouping with much more damage to CT. Much more entertaining to play compared to just hang back and fire at any locked target.

Even in a missile boat, you shouldn't exclusively rely on your missiles. If any 'Mech can do it though, the Catapult is probably the only one of the current 'Mechs that can get away with being a LRM Skirmisher (though I'm giving a second price to that Kintaro Champion).

A LRM100 Stalker 5M might be fun, but finds itself stranded by the first random light 'Mech falling into its weak spot close range (ECM adding even more cruel sweetness). A LRM40 3H on the other hand greets you with 4 Medium Lasers and 12 SRM missiles. That is the equivalent of firepower most Skirmishers try to engage you with, thinking you an easy kill.

As someone else said on this forum "I think you have me confused, I am no missile boat".

#130 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 12 August 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

(though I'm giving a second price to that Kintaro Champion).

Prize, second prize. Price is what you pay for something, a prize is an award (generally for performance, though random lotteries also give out prizes). I've seen Deutsch speakers make that mistake before, I've been told that "preis" means both, so I understand the confusion. (Prize and price also have slightly different pronunciations, the C in price is pronounced as the letter S, but the Z in prize is very much pronounced as a Z. Not sure how well non-native speakers hear the difference, to be honest.)

#131 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

View PostEscef, on 13 August 2014 - 01:01 AM, said:

Prize, second prize. Price is what you pay for something, a prize is an award (generally for performance, though random lotteries also give out prizes). I've seen Deutsch speakers make that mistake before, I've been told that "preis" means both, so I understand the confusion. (Prize and price also have slightly different pronunciations, the C in price is pronounced as the letter S, but the Z in prize is very much pronounced as a Z. Not sure how well non-native speakers hear the difference, to be honest.)

I'm German, but that was just a typo. I didn't spellcheck properly and the mistake flew under the radar as it's not a wrong word, just the wrong word for that sentence. I appreciate the gesture though.

#132 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 13 August 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

I'm German, but that was just a typo. I didn't spellcheck properly and the mistake flew under the radar as it's not a wrong word, just the wrong word for that sentence. I appreciate the gesture though.

Given that your location is listed as Germany, I figured you were either German, Turkish, or a US Servicemember serving overseas (I was stationed in Germany for 2 years, but I learned laughably little German).

#133 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostChive On, on 12 August 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

With the recent round of nerfs, I broke down and put four LRM15's and tag on my WARHAWK.

OMG is there no ghost heat with Clan LRM's? I don't even want to type that for fear they will "fix" them as well.

Maybe it's because it's mastered or that it has 300 built in non removable hat sinks?

I feel dirty using it.

It's all the mandatory heatsinks, it's possible that it's also the stream fire but I haven't tested.

Any combination of 3 LRM launchers that are LRM 10 or larger has ghost heat.

So 3x LRM or 2x LRM 10 and 1x LRM 15, or 1x LRM 10, 1x LRM 15 and 1x LRM 20 all would have ghost heat.

Only boating LRM 5s has no ghost heat.

This is the same as IS LRMs.

#134 Phashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBuckeye stuck in Michigan

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Two thoughts:

Well, we have narrowed it down to about 7 mechs as 'the best' LRM mech. Again, different strokes. Did anyone say the TREB? :-)

Being silly: Dragon as an LRM mech! Only good place for LRM tubes is the belly! No better visual! :-)

Edited by Phashe, 14 August 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#135 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostPhashe, on 14 August 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

Two thoughts:

Well, we have narrowed it down to about 7 mechs as 'the best' LRM mech. Again, different strokes. Did anyone say the TREB? :-)

Being silly: Dragon as an LRM mech! Only good place for LRM tubes is the belly! No better visual! :-)

Trebs are definitely a good LRM boating mech, It's one of the things they are great at.

#136 Col Jeremiah Rose

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • LocationArizona,USA

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hey guys, just found this thread... And just purchased a warhawk with three hardpoints, do i need to purchase an omni pod arm with the fourth hardpoint?

#137 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:29 PM

Assuming you bought the WHK-B, you'll need to buy the Prime or A left arm to get the 4th missile hardpoint.

Edit: The A arm is quirked for missiles and is a better choice than the Prime arm for a missile boat.

Edited by Crotch RockIt, 15 June 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#138 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

View PostChive On, on 12 August 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

I feel dirty using it.

Ghost heat at 3 and more LRM's fired at the same time, suggest firing in pairs or chain firing.

You forget the warhawk has like a billion hardwired heatsinks.

Look at the mad dog, that thing can take 6 LRM 15's and still have enough ammo to finish the game with 1000 damage.

Look at the stormcrow, that can do 4 x LRM 15. same ammount you're doing.

Look at the kitfox and adder, they can do a total of 40 lrms (rather by 2 x 20's, or 2 x LRM 15 + 2 x LRM 5)
Keep in mind this is a clan light mech at 30 tons we're talking about it now.

3 25 ton commando can not even do that, and the IS 35 tonners can barely do 1 LRM 15.

I wouldn't say it's OP though... the IS clouds are better then clan streams in many cases and quirks on some make them insane... ie hunchback 4J

#139 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

View PostEscef, on 12 August 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

I don't think they're bad, just out of date. Stalkers are still more than respectable in the role, but the BLR-1S has eclipsed it.

Both Stalker and Battlemaster have the same LRM count and back up weapons.

The main difference is due to the missile bay doors, you can trick the game into a 50 LRM alpha with no ghost heat in 1 cloud (fire LRM 20's in the arms, the doors start opening and if your on group chain fire, LRM 5's will fifre just when the LRM 20's do, meaning no ghost heat for 50 LRM's flying. Battlemaster on average builds can only do 30)

And the Stalker is better at hitting CT over the Battlemaster, however battlemaster on larger CT mechs or at general centre of mass (ST and CT) then yea, the battlemaster is your dog...

Builds: Stalker: 2 x LRM 20, 2 x LRM 5, 4 x MEd las (-1 med las for +1 tag)
Battlemaster: 2 x LRM 15, 2 x LRM 10, 4 x Med las (-1 med las for +1 tag)

Sacrafice stuff for artemis.

BM can do XL very good but stlaker not so much, thus BM is faster and the arms provide locks on multiple areas where stalker can not.

But stalker is more armoured and has missile bay doors protecting it's arms.

Personally, my top dogs of LRM's of each weight class (I say each weight class as lighter LRM boats do or peform better then other LRM boats,)...

IS:

Light:
Raven 3L, 2X, 4X, Huginn.
Jenner Oxide

Medium:
Kintaro
Trebuchet
Hunchback 4J

Heavy:
Catapult A1, C1, C4, C3 (plz!)
Jagermech A

Assault:
Stalker 3H, (others can do it well but lean more on energy weapons)
Battlemaster 3S, 1S, (did I mix up a variant? I mean to put the 6E, 2M one and the 4E, 4M one here).
Awesome.

Clans

Light:

Kitfox
Adder

Medium:

Stormcrow
Ice ferret (it can do it decently, but doubles as a bloody good scout, the LRM's do best with a cooldown module)

Heavy:

Mad Dog
Summoner
Couldron born (all estimations done, I know this isn't out yet but unless it suddenly gets negative quirks for missiles, it will never be bad for LRM's, can do 4 x LRM 20 or 4 x LRM 15 being focused more on ammo)

Assault:

Gargoyle (I know this is odd... but with 2 x LRM 20 + A, and a large pulse laser or ER PPC with CAP and ammo... this isn't that bad I swear guys!, also with the new omnipod I think you can do 3M now, so 3 LRM 15 build or something can be done now)
Warhawk

Notable mentions:

(as secondary weapon)
Atlas
Kingcrab
Direwolf
Shadowhawk
Griffon
Jenner
Nova
Timberwolf

Honorable mentions:
Locust (this is more of a skill practice and improvement on LRM knowledge, 2 x LRM 5 and 1 med las/ 2 small las. and you need to play extra smart to get 400+ damage. Killed Sean lang with this thing once... know that isn't much but it's a rather funny display)
Griffin
Shadowcat
Mauler
Highlander.

[I love LRM's and tried it at least once on any chassie that can do missiles, and let me tell you this, you never have known fear when you see a huginn in cover firing 2 LRM 20's at you with 35% (that's with cooldown module) reduction on cooldown...

#140 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostWarfarer, on 13 July 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

So which is it? I thinking its catapult.

its not a catapult, why whould it be a catapult?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users