36 replies to this topic

#21 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

One thing that took me a while to learn was to wait and have the patience of a turkey hunter. let the other team extend. Then strike. This is almost situational awareness, but more, anticipation of a move. Think on Terra Therma, you control the caldera, but three or four mechs go out one of the sides and sets up a firing line or an ambush to cover the opening from the rear. For this to work the other members of the team have to attack when the other team members reveal themselves by fire.

As you are advancing do you fire, maybe or maybe not. Do you hold back for that rear torso shot at 30 m.

With the shadow hawks the skirmisher, flanker works well. If I get too exposed I can run away or press and fix the enemy in place.

Control the game and knowing where the other team is located and leading them to an area, is also a form of control.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 14 July 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Fixed my previous post for Engrish. >.>; It should make a lot more sense now.

#23 Friedrich von Luckner

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. Based on your suggestions I did change my Layout a bit and switched the LB-X10 for a AC/5 Ultra on my 2D and now a AC/5 3x LRM5 and a ERLLas in the other arm. in my 2H. Moved around some armor as well

This combined with running on the outskirts of the battle lines and taking my time has improved my survivability a great deal. I can help soften up targets with the LRM....annoy the occasional Sniper with the ERLLas and once the battle moves past the potshot phase I can lay down the dakka up close to support my heavies and assaults when they are engaged.

Damage wise the numbes are merely in the upper 300s now but I at least feel I can contribute to the battle more.
And my K/D ratio already climbed by 0.07 last night :lol:

Might switch that 2H build to a 2xAC5 1x AC2 version....I kinda like things that go boom and shake the enemies cockpit. ;)

#24 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Pick only 1 ammo based weapon per mech and back with energy. You will notice this improve even more as you can focus more on either supporting the energy with ammo or vice versa when you run out of ammo. Case in point, instead of backing LRMs with ACs, use bigger energy weapons so more ammo can be put into the missiles and heat sinks. Otherwise consider the same philosophy with the ACs. If you really get good and can do a 'mini-Highlander' meta of a Gauss and 1 ERPPC, that can rock.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

Saw Fred in a Commando. He got me because he glued to my backside while I was in a Warhawk.

#26 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Find a clan or unit to join i think that will help you more than anything.

#27 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Yaaayyyy Fred's improving.
Awwwww... Kon's having a rough week. :ph34r:

#28 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

My stats may not validate this, but I feel I am playing better now than six months ago. What did I do? 1. Larger monitor, 2. Better video card, 3. TeamSpeak3

#29 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

mediums are great mechs to learn on..

they teach you to torso twist to spread damage, and not rely on armor to stay alive. They also have the speed to help you move around and learn the maps which will help a ton later if you move to heavies..

I learned on HBK's last summer, since they i have leveled 3 different sets of heavies.. (cat's, cataphracts, and Thunderbolts) Love them all.. But now im back to mediums in the wolverines. See if all that i learned helps me be a better medium pilot :D

hang in there.. its a long but fun road

#30 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Slow your play down.

That second build just can't take the pounding the new clan mechs can dish out.

You need to find a Direwolf and never leave it's side for at least the first 5 minutes of game play.

The build is solid, and will shine toward the end of a round... you just need to make it to the end when the LBX10 can explode some components. Until then your on 'Light harrasser prevention protection' for said Direwolf.

If you have a hard time not jumping into the fray early, perhaps change the build to more mobility, more distance to better protect you. I.e.. AC10, Guass, and/or LRMs or ERLL and bigger engines so that you can hit and run. Mediums are just not built to slug with the Clan mechs on the field of battle of today.

I enjoi the Centurions more than the Shadow Hawks.. I firmly believe that something is coded into the chassis that allows the Centurion to absorb more damage that other mediums... just my gut feeling on how 'tanky' the Centurions are. Drop a STD255 in a Speed Tweaked Cent and load up some SRMs and ML or MPL and be prepared to be amazed how long you live if you keep torso twisting....

#31 Friedrich von Luckner

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Elited all my Shadowhawks and kept a 2K with the original build of 3MLAS 3xASRM6 for messing around on Maps like Canyand a 2H with dual AC5/PPC which forces me to keep distance but in the last stages of battle it allows me to lay down the dakka on Mechs that are already engaged with my Company mates.

May look into Cents or Wolverines soon.

Started on Orions yesterday and it has been an on/off experience so far. I really miss the mobility and I lack the C-Bills at the moment to put in a bigger engine let alone run a decent setup. So I am piloting them stock for the most part with varying success. :P

Did mess around with the clan mechs a bit mainly for the daily bonus and C-Bill boost...but something just doesn`t click with me with them at the moment. I really enjoy the Summoners moblity but it`s lacking a bit of a punch....and then I see 6 Timber Wolfs in nearly every Match and I go "meh" :)

Edited by Friedrich von Luckner, 17 July 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#32 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:14 AM

A build I've been looking at for the Summoner is using Srms on it. Not sure if you've thought of trying that, but check this out: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1f2a3c78bb8b1f

The way I've been thinking of using that kind of build is how I use my medium Srm'ers (Currently Griffins and Shadowhawks), so with the lower arm actuators, it should at least be an interesting option to consider.

And I'm still trying to memorize the omnipod quirks, so instead of having both D side torsos for MG's, getting more torso turn from like the Primes STs might be worth considering. Here's one with the Prime STs: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...900f71171016bdc

#33 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 17 July 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

A build I've been looking at for the Summoner is using Srms on it. Not sure if you've thought of trying that, but check this out: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1f2a3c78bb8b1f

The way I've been thinking of using that kind of build is how I use my medium Srm'ers (Currently Griffins and Shadowhawks), so with the lower arm actuators, it should at least be an interesting option to consider.

And I'm still trying to memorize the omnipod quirks, so instead of having both D side torsos for MG's, getting more torso turn from like the Primes STs might be worth considering. Here's one with the Prime STs: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...900f71171016bdc

That actually looks like my Kit Fox D. 4 SRM6 can seriously ruin someones day. The Summoner is a bit slower, but has way more staying power, so this is really tempting. You don't need that many heatsinks. Ghost Heat isn't that dangerous with 4 SRM6. I think I can get 3 full alphas out without overheating in a Kit Fox (6t ammo).

If you're looking at the Omnipod quirks, I'm currently working on a summary. Will be online soonTM. Really annoying to always have to dig through that Command Chair post.

Edit: There you go.

Edited by Gasoline, 17 July 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#34 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostFriedrich von Luckner, on 14 July 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Greetings fellow Mechwarriors.

I recently came back to the came after playing abit back in BETA. Back then my Rig couldnt handle the game at all but I bought a shiny new Laptop a few weeks ago and since I have been a BattleTech nut forever I gave the game another shot and so far it has been an enjoyable experience community wise.
Any pointers or critical remarks would be very welcome at this point. :(

In the "helping you to survive by killing things faster" vein: http://mwomercs.com/...ng-light-mechs/

#35 Friedrich von Luckner

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Allright. I realized playing in the morning hours Euro time is just plain horrendous :P I seriously suck at this game atm...but apparently all the people who are even worse are playing in the wee morning hours :o Or my noobie ass gets dropped into high ELO groups as filler who get their asses handed all the time. I did like 40 battles this morning...and we won exactly.....2 :blink:

Grinding the orions, and a grind it is...I have med range setups on most of them but especially in the morning the game devolves into huddeling behind some random hill and pot shotting each other for like 8 minutes straight...then get overrun by a flank movement since the whole company was pretty much stationary the whole time :D

In other news since it was my birthday yesterday I bought into the cheese and grabbed myself a Timberwolf....can you say LOL?? :ph34r: Even my sucktastick ass can bring some pretty good results with that piece of Mech. I usually don`t buy into the "Nerf this or that" crowd but man...this thing is a beast even stock and unleveled. In the hands of someone who actually knows what he`s doing I can see why one would think this thing is OP as hell.
I probably should exploit the heck out of that beauty because there is no way they can leave that thing as is. Now I understand why there are usually 6 TBR on nearly every game. <_<

Anyways...any tips in terms of how to counter screenshake under fire? Or am I just SOL?

#36 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

With over 4000 matches in, I consider myself a seasoned hand. I did the math recently and discovered in all that time my win percentage is only a measly 0.94 and change. So don't consider wins and losses the big kahuna of accomplishments. Instead look at your individual achievements. You killed Kon this week, and that's no easy task

that said, the last patch screwed up the mix with the intro of the 5+ units. There's a lot of stomps going on right now and more and more people (like me) have put the game on the shelf waiting for PGI to fix it by bringing back the 'traditional' method of gameplay. I've proposed more than a few times a way to fix it, so we'll see if PGI takes the idea and runs with it.

Also recall that Elo is not on individual mechs but weight classes. I can't even solo drop in my heavy mechs because I get stomped into oblivion because the quality of opponent is so high apparently or my skill has plummetted (not likely). On the other hand the group queue doesn't help when you're facing hordes of try hards and pros.

I've had a string of abyssmal luck too, so don't feel bad. It's the game, not you at this point.

In regards to screen shake, take the Mr. Myagi advice "No get hit". Seriously though, Cockpit shake is "Working as Intended". So those LRM 5s and autocannons are going to ruin your day and they've no intention on changing it.

Edited by Kjudoon, 18 July 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#37 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostFriedrich von Luckner, on 18 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Anyways...any tips in terms of how to counter screenshake under fire? Or am I just SOL?

Only thing I can think of is using the Improved Gyro module. It reduces the screenshake of incoming fire to a certain degree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users