#1 Gilien the Noble

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPortland, ME

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

With the Clans in-game and Community Warfare scheduled for December, has there been any word on when the established Mercenary Companies will be added?

The ones I'm really familiar with are the Wolf's Dragoons and Kell Hounds, and I know that there were also Gray Death Legion, Northwind Highlanders, and Eridani Light Horse. There are probably others I'm missing, I'm just going off of my experience with Mechwarrior 3 & 4.

I believe at least some of these companies were very important in the Battletech Universe, so it strikes me as a little odd that they haven't gotten more attention. I'm not looking for these companies to replace the Lone Wolf or Merc-Corps options, just provide the last of the options for factions.

If this topic exists on the forums already please provide a link, I did a couple searches and haven't found the information I'm looking for. There may have been some information in a livestream I saw but I don't recall.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Artax33

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIowa, US

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

I always thought that merc units would be established by players. If there is to be a Wolf's Dragoons or Kell Hounds it will be player made. I could be wrong, but that was the way I understood it. If you want an established faction, you have the houses or the clans.

#3 Gilien the Noble

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPortland, ME

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I dunno, I'd hate for this one group of factions to be left out of the game. I know I'd like to get the Kell Hound or Wolfs Dragoons logo on my mechs and Forum Profile, just like the old MW4 days.

#4 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Pretty good question. We know that "mercenary" groups as they're intended for CW are supposed to me more or less completely player driven, and that players are not supposed to be able to recreate canon units, but I don't think I've seen anything addressing these kinds of merc units. My guess is that they will either just be left out completely, or will simply exist as a device for developers. The possibility exists that canon merc units will be "dev-driven" entities in the same way that the House factions are supposed to be, but again, I don't think I've seen anything solid either way.

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostArtax33, on 20 July 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

I always thought that merc units would be established by players. If there is to be a Wolf's Dragoons or Kell Hounds it will be player made. I could be wrong, but that was the way I understood it. If you want an established faction, you have the houses or the clans.

Last information we got, regarding that, is that the famous units will not be in player hand. If you want to be a part of those, you'd need to earn their place in them. Player driven units are supposed to be units, not yet known in the battletech universe. This is to prevent units, that have the luck to register the name first, to be somehow officially be acknowledged as that unit, while others, who were maybe only a second behind in registration, are not.

At least, that's how I understand it.

#6 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostEgomane, on 21 July 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Last information we got, regarding that, is that the famous units will not be in player hand. If you want to be a part of those, you'd need to earn their place in them. Player driven units are supposed to be units, not yet known in the battletech universe. This is to prevent units, that have the luck to register the name first, to be somehow officially be acknowledged as that unit, while others, who were maybe only a second behind in registration, are not.

At least, that's how I understand it.

OH right... I forgot about them mentioning briefly about possibly "earning" your way into famous units via collection of Loyalty points or some such.

#7 Gilien the Noble

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPortland, ME

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 22 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

OH right... I forgot about them mentioning briefly about possibly "earning" your way into famous units via collection of Loyalty points or some such.

Of course, that was what I had seen on the livestream. Guess it will be part of Community Warfare afterall. Ok thanks everyone for weighing in : )

#8 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

There is the Mercenarys faction. B4 they start implementing merc Units, they should implement the missing houses. St Ives? Comstar...Pirates...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users