Warhawk Improvements

14 replies to this topic

Poll: So... (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with the proposed changes?

1. Yes (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

If not, is it because you'd prefer different changes, or because you believe the Warhawk needs no improvements?

1. Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad. (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. The Warhawk doesn't need anybodys help. (13 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Quizzical Coconut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

While this mech definitely isn't a dead platform, it simply doesn't have the hardpoints (or tonnage frankly) to compete with the mechs surrounding it (timberwolf in particular). From what I've seen, even if the raw firepower is slightly better than a competing timberwolf build, the added speed, JJs, and survivability of the TW make the Warhawk pale in comparison. I propose the following changes for the mech:

• Remove the +15% energy weapon reload time on right arm B, and instead give a bonus to cooldown on right arm prime. (For an energy based mech with only 5 energy hardpoints to start with, this is just ridiculous.)
  • The left torsos of all variants could stand a small cooling efficiency quirk to make up for consuming so many crits/tons as to cripple build variety to a level not experienced on any other clan mech. If they must remain, they could atleast stand to do their job better (though I feel this way about all hard mounted objects).
  • The addition of variant C (this would give an energy hardpoint in the CT) and right torso F (or variant F, which would give a ballistic hardpoint to the RT). Both variants use weapons/equipment currently available. This would sway hardpoint variety to be slightly more favorable for the Warhawk.

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to state them.

#2 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

I agree on the first one.

The second one I'm ambivalent (primarily because cooling is the least of the WHK's worries), although I do agree on hard-locked items.

The last one I'd be happy with any kind of RT mounted Energy or Ballistic option.

The LA from Prime and A are exactly the same. So only 2 usable arm options.
The RT from A is a suckier version of the RT from B. So only 2 usable RT options and one of those is "AMS" and only AMS.
The RA from A has ... one ballistic hardpoint...and that's it. Leaving 2 arms that are near clones, with one having an extra hardpoint but global negative cooldown quirk.

At this point I'd be happy for any kind of flexibility or variety added to this mech.

#3 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Um no. You already can fit crazy amounts of DHS, that RoF nerf on arm actually improves heat efficiency, and you are already in an 85 ton mech moving at heavy speeds, with assault firepower and no needs to worry about XL vulnerabilities.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 23 July 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#4 Quizzical Coconut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 23 July 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

Um no. You already can fit crazy amounts of DHS

Yet still not be heat neutral. If you don't want the mech to recieve the buff, just say so.

that RoF nerf on arm actually improves heat efficiency

...you're putting out less heat because you're putting out less damage (how could you even consider this a buff). The quirk only compromises burst DPS (and increases the chances of overheating for those with undisciplined hands).

and you are already in an 85 ton mech moving at heavy speeds, with assault firepower and no needs to worry about XL vulnerabilities.

You're moving exactly as fast as an 85 ton mech with a 340 should. The rest of your complaints are clan tech problems, that will hopefully be adjusted in the future.

#5 ASHTAR0N

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

I think your first idea is great. The penalty for only having 5 lasers is crazy, while other clan mechs can equip more lasers without any penalty.

#6 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

This mech is outclassed by the DWF and TBR in sheer firepower and speed. It'd be nice if this were a more reliable weapons platform for energy weapons. Maybe a quirk where it can fire 4x ERPPC without taking ghost heat instead of the above changes? Either way I whole-heartedly agree something needs tweaking.

#7 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

View PostQuizzical Coconut, on 23 July 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yet still not be heat neutral.

And why should it be, when it wasn't even able to fire three of his PPCs in the tabletop without generating excess heat?

This configuration never was good with heat and I see no reason to suddenly give him such a quirk.

#8 Quizzical Coconut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostEgomane, on 25 July 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

And why should it be, when it wasn't even able to fire three of his PPCs in the tabletop without generating excess heat?

This configuration never was good with heat and I see no reason to suddenly give him such a quirk.

...I've never referenced the prime configuration, and haven't suggested that the mech gain a quirk that causes heat neutrality. What I'm saying is that in this game you'll practically never achieve heat neutrality without severely under arming your mech. Because of this, greater dissipation is practically always a buff. I was just implying that the ability to mount large DHS numbers doesn't invalidate added cooling potential, and people should just say they don't like the suggestion (if they don't) rather than dismissing it by implying it's not a buff.

And for the record, when I said a small cooling buff, I was thinking 5 - 7.5% global cooling buff, or a 25-35% buff to the 4 heatsinks in the left torso.

#9 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

The warhawk is fine, the timberwolf is just OP.

#10 Quizzical Coconut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 July 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

The warhawk is fine, the timberwolf is just OP.

Clan tech problems. If they're ever addressed and the Timberwolf is equalized, the Warhawk will be underperforming. Right now it would be best to balance all clan mechs with each other.

#11 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

No thanks. I think the Warhawk is fine even if it is a little warm at times.

#12 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

adding another variant is fine. i dont think specific tweaks need to be done. as is...u can run 5x LPL's that do a nice amount of alpha damage at decent ranges, and still have control over heat.

its a mech forced into the role of having several heavy weapons, or being a missile boat. either way, i dont think its "worse" than a timberwolf. u just need to pilot it right.

#13 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

But the warhawk is already kickass, amazingly mobile, and the warhawk b is flatout the best assault missileboat in the game.

#14 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

How about fixing the cockpit while your at it? Warhawk pilots must have some really huge hands!

#15 Loganauer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

I don't think it needs -all- those buffs, but I would like to +1 the idea of using quirks as a balancing tool for underpowered (or overpowered) 'mechs.

Edited by Loganauer, 26 August 2014 - 05:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users