Brawler Game Type -- My Wish List.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'd love a game type where you can only enter if all the weapons on your mech are range 270 or less. Yes, this means inner sphere AC20's are allowed.

Brawl mode: ON

#2 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

View PostThorasta, on 23 July 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I'd love a game type where you can only enter if all the weapons on your mech are range 270 or less. Yes, this means inner sphere AC20's are allowed.

You are kidding, yes? This must be a troll.

(Although, I must say, it would be entertaining a billion SRM4s and 6s on Kitfoxes, Stormcrows, Summoners/TBRs, and Warhawks...)

#3 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

last tiem I checked AC20s have a MUCH longer range than 270

you DO have this option by the way. set up private matches

#4 SolasTau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

I gotta' say, that'd be fun as hell. AND it'd make the arena style game play make more sense. :D

#5 COOL HANDS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee Wisconsin

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

#6 Jez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

One of the best matches that l've been in was back in closed beta or right after open beta on Frozen City.

We had a full 2 lances of Atlases and decided to tunnel rush. Back then, everyone spawned in the same area so there was no need to regroup like we have to today. We marched in an orderly single file line into the tunnel, turned the left hand corner and BAM! we slammed right into 2 lances of Atlases. Back in those days people weren't afraid of a brawl, none of this stopping in place to shoot then backing up crap. 16 Atlases charged into each other, brawling at point blank range inside the cramped confines of the tunnel. It was a true meat grinder in there and one of the most glorious moments I've seen in MWO.

I was the #2 mech in line and after #1 made contact I was able to twist, turn, shoot, and weave my way all the way to the back of the enemy's line near the side exit. Comms were a mess with people calling out targets that the guys in the back of the line couldn't see and peeps yelling at others to move out of the way. That was the most chaotic yet satisfying fight in MWO that I've been in.

Edited by Jez, 23 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#7 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:13 AM

yeah.. erm. no, actually. Clans need not apply at all unless they only use SLs and SPLs?

#8 MAXrobo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts
  • Locationmiddle of nowhere

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

A better way to do this is make a mode where you can bring any weapon you want, but everything has its range reduced to to 270. This way, even if you bring PPCs or Gauss, you still have to get into brawling range to use it and that exposes their weaknesses like minimum range and exploding when you look at it funny respectively. It would still be a brawling only game, but would allow different and more varied builds as well as allowing clans.

Ether way. a brawling only game sounds like it could be fun as an occasional side game. but I wouldn't really like it to be a main game mode.

#9 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

View PostThorasta, on 23 July 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I wouldn't want a game mode for this.

HOWEVER, fostering brawling game play is as simple as designing maps that reward the use of brawling weapons. Smaller maps without long open sight lines. Perhaps a broken city, with a variety of building heights, some larger buildings toppled to create ramps up to higher levels, but that you'd need jump jets to continue moving around at that height. No water, maybe a central park (or a couple of side parks) for the snipers to play around with each other and the rest winding streets.

#10 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

City maps would go a long way for this, also Solaris deathmatch game mode with Arena maps.

But as its own game mode on existing maps, makes no sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users