http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5c7c03aec289fe4

#2 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

You could easily drop the AC/20 for an AC/10 (for the increased range and staying power) and boost the engine up a few points on the rating board. This would leave you less vulnerable to immediate destruction to LRM hailfire. I could see this thing just getting caught out in the open with such a slow engine and no AMS, just crumpling under the weight of thousands of missiles.

Orions can go quite a bit faster than Cataphracts. Use this speed advantage to your advantage.

Edited by Vaskadar, 25 July 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I would suggest switching the SSRMs for normal SRM 2s.  The pointy pointer arms make aiming SRMS at critical points super easy, so throwing Streaks in there is simply wasted tonnage.  You can then take the BAP out and use your extra slots for ammo/DHS.  Something like:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0514a96e5e763a6

Ammo won't be a problem.  Pro tip #1: DHS/HS can go into your engine if the engine rating is high enough.  Saved you 6 slots and increased your heat dissipation, you're welcome.
Pro tip #2: Head armor is WAYYY secondary to leg armor.  10-14 points of head armor is healthy, any more is slightly wasteful.  Pro tip #3: Rear armor is incredibly important.  Learn to torso twist between shots and purposely give your rear armor in order to increase survivability.  I give my rear armor during retreats and torso twist in the middle of a brawl.  I have the armor points set up to where an AC/20 to the rear will only take out most of your armor, leaving your internals intact. 20 pts in the rear side torsos is the very least that you should have in a 55-100 ton Mech. 22 or more for the rear center torso.

I hope my suggestions and changes help you out.  Overheating shouldn't be much of a problem if you set up 3 weapon groups (lasers, srms, AC/20) but be careful when aiming that cannon.  the shell is very slow and firing it causes a heat spike.

EDIT: No need to waste money on a bigger engine, the stock engine in ON1s is fine.  Any faster and you sacrifice too much alpha, any slower and you get left behind for Lights/LRMs to mop you up.  Only experiment with larger engines if you have spare moneyz just lying around.
Also edited my post in response to noticing you have over 1k posts :)  Tbh idk how you got to 1k posts with 5 points of rear armor, but I'm telling you now that switching to Razorback (decent/moderate rear armor) will save your life time and time again.

Edited by Pezzer, 25 July 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#4 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostStevie Ray Vaughan, on 25 July 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Will this dog hunt?
Cheap to build too, opinions?

I see what you are trying to do but you are taking a better LRM platform and turning it into a AC20/stream boat. IMO a different variant would do what you want better.
ON1-K
This might do better I do better if you have the K but it's going to take a while getting into range. I just dont see the 4 streaks helping out since you cant keep up with lights anyways and there arent very many lights around to justify 4 streaks.

#5 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Lose the AC20 and Streaks
Use AC10 and 2 SRM6s / 2 SRM2s
4 tons SRM ammo
3 tons AC10 ammo.

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Will this dog hunt?

Hey, Stevie. I used to run almost exactly that. Got killed a lot in it. The mech requires a fair amount of patience, you have to wait for the right time to engage. Me? I'm not patient, I ended up looking for fights. Yeah, I'd belt out some decent damage usually, but not often got kills or survived to the end of the match; I needed to be doing something. So I pulled the Streaks for quad LRM5. It doesn't brawl as well, but I feel more comfortable hanging back with it and slinging missiles until its brawling time.

#7 The Central Scrutinizer

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJoe's Garage

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

Fixed:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1a8a5cab2d14c1a

#8 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostThe Central Scrutinizer, on 25 July 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'd probably go with quad SRM4 over the twin 6 with Artemis.

#9 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...307d0247c7e5be0

Real mans orion, great speed, great alpha, plenty of ammo, backup weapons (2mlas), great heat eff., ams. What more could you ask for?

EDIT: Artemis is a waste of space when the srms are on opposite sides of you mech.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 26 July 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Will this dog hunt?

The VA is far better suited for THIS

Try the K with this setup. I run a build very similar to that one. Same weapons, and most likely same amount of ammo.

P.S: Be sure to adjust armor values to fit your style.

#11 The Central Scrutinizer

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJoe's Garage

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

My biggest concern is should I even buy an Orion with all the superior Clan crap out there, and even before Clans, people saying the Orion was a lower tier Mech?

Same I reason I don't buy a T Bolt. I really really wanted that to be a good choice too, but since it's big as a damned Awesome and all.....

#12 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostThe Central Scrutinizer, on 26 July 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

My biggest concern is should I even buy an Orion with all the superior Clan crap out there, and even before Clans, people saying the Orion was a lower tier Mech?

Same I reason I don't buy a T Bolt. I really really wanted that to be a good choice too, but since it's big as a damned Awesome and all.....

LOL. Superior clan crap.

My ON-1K is my best clan buster. I have not had a T-Wolf that bested me yet (well, except for the one that had two other timberwolves with it, and an Atlas D-DCwith an AC 20.).

As long as you can get close to clan mechs you will beat them. Especially the ballistic ones, since they lose the encounters due to their high heat. A cool headed pilot will win, but that has nothing to do with the mech at that point.

By the way. I don't have the other Orions yet. My K only has 8 basics on it.

EDIT: the main problem isn't with the mechs or weapons. It's with figuring out what the mech is good at, and what it's bad at. If you can discern that, you can engage them in the areas they suck at (in this case short range, and PPFLD), and pummel them.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 27 July 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostThe Central Scrutinizer, on 26 July 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Here. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2aa466ce7117f08

That will bust clanners. The PPCs do as much concentrated damage as their clan counterparts, and no clan weapon punches holes in armor like the Inner Sphere AC20 does. Move from cover to cover, pick your shots, protect your right side.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostEscef, on 27 July 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Here. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2aa466ce7117f08

That will bust clanners. The PPCs do as much concentrated damage as their clan counterparts, and no clan weapon punches holes in armor like the Inner Sphere AC20 does. Move from cover to cover, pick your shots, protect your right side.

Once I finish getting 2 more Orions, I'll definitely run this build on the K. I might drop a ton of AC20 ammo for an extra DHS, or 1.5 tons for AMS.

#15 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

So, for someone interested in getting the Orion, which variants do you guys recommend?

So far the K & VA seem the most interesting. I also love the retro look of the Protector, but even at half price that thing's like 15 bucks, and I'm not sure it's worth it just fo a paintjob...

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PosteFTy, on 30 July 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

So, for someone interested in getting the Orion, which variants do you guys recommend?

So far the K & VA seem the most interesting. I also love the retro look of the Protector, but even at half price that thing's like 15 bucks, and I'm not sure it's worth it just fo a paintjob...

The Protector is a good one, but I would hold off on that until you actually discover whether you love or hate the chassis.

I would personally recommend the K if:
A- You have good firing discipline, and can handle big bursts of heat. Or

B- You want to develop some firing discipline without running a 6PPC stalker.

If not, go with any of the others. You really can't go wrong with them, since they all have very similar hardpoints, and play in a similar way. The missile ones can be used as either LRM boats, or SRM brawlers (with the Buckton fix, that has become a very viable route again).

The ON1-M is your most balanced in terms of hardpoints, and is also most expensive. I would start with it simply because of C-Bill cost.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 30 July 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#17 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

I like all of the Orions. I tend to run AC20 in all of them and most have std300 engines.

The M with ac20, 3 LRM5, 3ML and the Protector with ac20, flamer, 2 med pulse, ALRM15 are my best two.

The K with basic 4 ML/AC20/SRM is a good mech as well but I like to have at least one longer range weapon on-board.

Played around with 2 UAC5 on the V but I don't know if it's worth the extra tonnage over a single AC20. The VA blows as a LRM boat but is fun with 4 SRMs.

One other interesting build I used for a bit on the Protector was 2 AC5 RT, 1 PPC LT, and ML on arms. Longer range alpha damage and still effective up close with AC5 and laser. Eventually went back to the AC20 though as I firmly believe every mech that CAN carry an AC20 SHOULD carry an AC20.

#18 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback! How about this? I'm kinda loving the idea of SRM machine-gun, plus the well timed boomshot.

Edited by eFTy, 30 July 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#19 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PosteFTy, on 30 July 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback! How about this? I'm kinda loving the idea of SRM machine-gun, plus the well timed boomshot.

I'd probably cut a ton of SRM ammo for another heat sink. As is, you have 50 shots for each SRM launcher, that's a lot.

#20 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

Yeah, I could probably stand to lose a ton, maybe even two, for more heat efficiency...

I initially tried fitting SRM4s, but the boomshot didn't have enough ammo so I switched to 2 and didn't bother taking out the ammo...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users