Stock Mech Matchmaking.

Gameplay

133 replies to this topic

#21 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Having a stock game mode, especially one where it takes whatever variant you have selected and reverts it to stock for the duration of the match, would be very cool.

That second part there, about reverting the mech to stock, is pretty key.. because I don't really feel like manually doing it.

#22 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

I stand corrected.

Will definitely try this out, to have some fun and enjoy what looks like one of the few successful community projects in MWO.

Wish I'd seen this sooner.

#23 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostJack Corban, on 25 July 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Sadly it also means you can't read.

No, it means we read the same thing and came to different conclusions on what it means. Where do you see something other than "Look at what people are doing with Private Lobbies!"?

#24 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

A note: the game currently isn't able to accept mutators such as "Stock Mode", wherein a customized 'Mech is transformed into its stock configuration upon dropping into a theoretical stock queue. That's actually a fairly complex piece of coding that, as I recall, would take quite a bit of work for Piranha to do.

It's not really nearly as easy as people make it out to be. Also good frogging luck to you when you realize that Clan stock 'Mechs would show up in that queue as well. Looking forward to that? Considering the point of a stock queue is to avoid anything that remotely smacks of tech levels above 1...I think not.

#25 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

View Post1453 R, on 25 July 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

A note: the game currently isn't able to accept mutators such as "Stock Mode", wherein a customized 'Mech is transformed into its stock configuration upon dropping into a theoretical stock queue. That's actually a fairly complex piece of coding that, as I recall, would take quite a bit of work for Piranha to do.

It's not really nearly as easy as people make it out to be. Also good frogging luck to you when you realize that Clan stock 'Mechs would show up in that queue as well. Looking forward to that? Considering the point of a stock queue is to avoid anything that remotely smacks of tech levels above 1...I think not.

you mean as hard as clicking strip mech and to get rid of all equipment and weapons in the mechlab ? Thats sort of complicated code thats is not in the game right now right ?

Edited by Jack Corban, 25 July 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#26 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 July 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

No, it means we read the same thing and came to different conclusions on what it means. Where do you see something other than "Look at what people are doing with Private Lobbies!"?

Posted Image

Translation: If we see people are interested in this we might have to make this a official thing (Mode,etc.)

#27 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostJack Corban, on 25 July 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

Translation: If we see people are interested in this we might have to make this a official thing (Mode,etc.)

I read that as more of an official endorsement or announcements about it, not creating new modes.

#28 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostJack Corban, on 25 July 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

you mean as hard as clicking strip mech and to get rid of all equipment and weapons in the mechlab ? Thats sort of complicated code thats is not in the game right now right ?

All right wise guy, you want to give me the sass?

There’s a whole world of difference between a button which removes all removable/inventory-storable equipment from a ‘Mech – equipment which is already flagged as inventory-storable and thus requires no extra attention from the programmers – and a button which strips a ‘Mech, reconfigures its semi-fixed upgrades (endo/ferro/DHS/Artemis) for zero money instead of the usual lots-of-money, compares your ‘Mech to a database location containing the ‘proper’ version of that particular machine, searches your inventory for all the required components and auto-builds the ‘Mech for you, then substitutes that ‘Mech for the ‘Mech you actually dropped in, all within the small span of time the game has to load you into the game. On top of reversing all of these changes – properly, every single time, or there will be Hell to pay – every time you drop back out of a match.

One of these is merely an automated repetition of a single task - drag everything draggable off the 'Mech. Another one is a simulation of some serious effort by the player, as well as a lot of extra storage requirements in order to save the 'Mech's original configuration so it can be safely reverted back to that configuration after dropping out of a stock mode match.

Yes, a mutator system is a much larger and more ornery task than a “remove all removeable equipment” button. Go take a programming 101 class before opening your mouth again.

Edited by 1453 R, 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#29 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

...Also good frogging luck to you when you realize that Clan stock 'Mechs would show up in that queue as well. Looking forward to that? Considering the point of a stock queue is to avoid anything that remotely smacks of tech levels above 1...I think not.

The stock Stormcrow Prime would pretty much assrape nearly any other stock build known to mankind. It has excellent range, above average (compared to custom builds) heat efficiency, reasonable damage output (especially compared to stock builds), great speed, good armor, and infinite ammo. Stormcrow Primes all day erryday.

And if we ever got stock mechs like the Devastator or Thunder Hawk (maybe even the King Crab might dominate in a stock setting?)...it would be game over man. Game. Over.

#30 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 July 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

The stock Stormcrow Prime would pretty much assrape nearly any other stock build known to mankind. It has excellent range, above average (compared to custom builds) heat efficiency, reasonable damage output (especially compared to stock builds), great speed, good armor, and infinite ammo. Stormcrow Primes all day erryday.

And if we ever got stock mechs like the Devastator or Thunder Hawk (maybe even the King Crab might dominate in a stock setting?)...it would be game over man. Game. Over.

In stock mech scrimmages between MGA and a Clan unit they found 10v12, 500 tons v 800 tons was pretty balanced (level 1 tech for IS).

#31 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 July 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Oh yeah. The SCR-Prime would peel things open like Wolverine manning a lemonade stand. That machine's perfectly viable in the regular drop queue, let alone going up against stock Succession Wars-era equipment. Twenty-two double heat sinks, man. TWENTY-TWO DHS.

I would harvest Hunchbacks by the bucketful, and I would laugh and laugh...

#32 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 July 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

In stock mech scrimmages between MGA and a Clan unit they found 10v12, 500 tons v 800 tons was pretty balanced (level 1 tech for IS).

If the Clan team had to be both outnumbered and dramatically out-tonned, that speaks volumes about how dramatically Clan stock builds outclass most IS stock builds.

#33 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 July 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

If the Clan team had to be both outnumbered and dramatically out-tonned, that speaks volumes about how dramatically Clan stock builds outclass most IS stock builds.

Well, they were supposed to, right? Isn't that the whole point of running stock matches in the first place, to 'relive' BT lore? With customized IS mechs 12v12 is pretty balanced.

#34 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

Well, they were supposed to, right? Isn't that the whole point of running stock matches in the first place, to 'relive' BT lore? With customized IS mechs 12v12 is pretty balanced.

Meh, if I wanted to experience the lore I'd probably pick up a BT novel at my local hobby shop. I'm just here for the basic game mechanics like critslots, tonnage, multiple hit locations, engines, heatsinks, etc. :)

Edited by FupDup, 25 July 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#35 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostRoland, on 25 July 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Having a stock game mode, especially one where it takes whatever variant you have selected and reverts it to stock for the duration of the match, would be very cool.

That second part there, about reverting the mech to stock, is pretty key.. because I don't really feel like manually doing it.

It would also prevent cheating in the form of armour allocation, or more ammo or heatsinks due to Endo.

#36 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 July 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Meh, if I wanted to experience the lore I'd probably pick up a BT novel at my local hobby shop. I'm just here for the basic game mechanics like critslots, tonnage, multiple hit locations, engines, heatsinks, etc. :)

Yeah. Movement always seems so much more important in TT, and it is easy to forget how TACs really even the battlefield between different weight classes.

View PostMcgral18, on 25 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

It would also prevent cheating in the form of armour allocation, or more ammo or heatsinks due to Endo.

Is there anyone so low they would cheat at private stock matches? B)

#37 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

It is as simple as trial mechs.
PGI posts stock trial mechs, and if you select one you are placed in the stock mech queue. The difficulty is selling PGI on the idea of letting players play for free and without modules. Which is why these custom formats are limted to premium private matches.

It isn't that PGI can't do it, there is just no financial incentive to do it. If we could figure out how to monetize it, without losing the supporters we might have a chance of making this happen.

#38 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Yeah. Movement always seems so much more important in TT, and it is easy to forget how TACs really even the battlefield between different weight classes.

TACs would be the most annoying thing ever. You know that shiny new Fatlas you bought? A Lolcust just shot you in the CT with a Small Pulse Laser and got a lucky roll, you go boom instantly. Trolololololol.

Although, I suppose there is one instance where TACs might be acceptable...

#39 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

TACs would be the most annoying thing ever. You know that shiny new Fatlas you bought? A Lolcust just shot you in the CT with a Small Pulse Laser and got a lucky roll, you go boom instantly. Trolololololol.

But that's one of the reasons why Lights and Mediums were more balanced. I remember taking out 2 mechs (undamaged Enforcer and a damaged Victor) with a Valkyrie in one round. Granted, that was some incredible luck (with the Victor at least- blasting through 3 points of back armor and getting ammo crits were pretty common occurrences for medium mechs!).

I know people hate randomness around here just a smidgen more than they hate non-randomness. :)

#40 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 July 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Wow.

Just...wow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users