Do Titles Do Anything?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Like the title of the thread says... Can you actually do anything with the titles that you earn through achievements? I haven't seen anywhere you can actually use them or equip them or anything.

#2 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

not that i have seen. they are just more crap to try to distract people from the lack of maps/game modes.

#3 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Titles are like bumper stickers. Distractions at best and magnets for focus fire.

#4 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 25 July 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Titles are like bumper stickers. Distractions at best and magnets for focus fire.

But can you actually use them?

#5 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

NYI

#6 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostRoland, on 25 July 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I use bumper stickers all the time, just not on my vehicle. :)

Posted Image

#7 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

It's kind of sad that they would implement titles and then give you no way to actually use them.. Seems like that would have been a fairly critical feature of the design.

#8 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostRoland, on 25 July 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Nope. No use, and AFAIK no way to even see someone else's achievements or titles.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostRoland, on 25 July 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

It's kind of sad that they would implement titles and then give you no way to actually use them.. Seems like that would have been a fairly critical feature of the design.

I'm sure it was someone's position at the time.

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

The whole achievement system is about 50% done, to be fair. They just went "Oh, screw it, let's just give them what we've got. There will be so much whining if we miss another deadline."
  • You get titles you can't use
  • You get completely meaningless rewards, like 2000 C-bills
  • You get achievements you don't understand, because the game doesn't tell you what you actually accomplished
  • The most valuable achievements (thousands of GXP points) are extremely easy to exploit, like getting a teammate to hose you down with FF before a match ends, so you can win a match with less than 50, 30 or 20% health, or X number of components lost, etc.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 26 July 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#11 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

Greetings all.

Achievements, Titles, Faction Medallions, all will have some bonus's or additional rewards for there holding once Community Warfare is in place.

- We will have various methods to gain Loyalty within each faction, as well as additional mission bonus's for displaying the Factions Medallion when working for each.
- Titles will also be factored into where and how your standings, rank progression, available contracts, are presented.
- Progressing through each current Achievement level has given us some things to strive for while we wait for the implementation of CW to start.

Within the next few patch's and updates we should see the beginning of CW, and as has been already stated by Russ and Bryan, the 1st item will be Faction selection and separating into these elements. Merc's, House Factions, and Clans will be separately rolled out and given the tasks and duties they are needed to start the long progression of fulfilling their functions within the Inner Sphere. The items required for each element is daunting if PGI follows there stated vision for how this will all work together.
- We have seen a single image of actual work being done on the IS galaxy map, much more is needed for just that aspect of the game to work, how the different game elements within this universe interact, what the Lore and history states is happening at this time in the timeline. Conflicts between the Great House's, Merc's working through the MRB, ComStar secrets, and now the new 'unknown' element 'The Clans'.
- If you've been following the plans of what PGI wants to do with each type of Faction, not much has been released since the initial descriptions on how they what them to function. (more than a year ago.) With only the latest descriptions in partial detail for Merc Units, as they will be the first full Faction type of element addressed in the Game. (closely followed by House Factions)

There is a great deal of information missing, why should we select a certain Faction? What makes each different? Why would I want to give my Loyalty to one particular Faction? Without multiple selections to weigh against each other, why pick one now? For those that have not followed or don't know the history's or background of each, the short description's currently provided don't really give enough information to allow us to 'set our starting path' into this BattleTech Universe.
- We need some type of idea of what each Faction offers against the other. Does one provide incentives of rapid rank progression with displayed Pilot skills? Does a specific House Faction give cost reductions on the purchase of selected Mech's or weapons? Will we just be a cog in the wheel if we select one of the House Factions not involved in the invasion, or are there unique opportunities because of this? Without some form of Faction details we have no idea just where our best choices should be.

PGI, you'll need to produce something very soon, even if it's just a briefing on what your current plans for the different Factions are. As the Merc's will be the first option available, some may want to wait for House units, and they need a reason to 'hold out' for those Factions. I haven't even addressed choices of the Clan Factions, and they have just as many separate and diverse elements as the IS has. (14 total at the start of the invasion)

So finally, what are these title items for?
- Progression and better offers for contracts and tasks when they arrive in the game.
- Examples of the Pilots skill at various types of rolls and weapons proficiency.
So these do have a purpose, but it's not fully built out or explained yet.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 26 July 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#12 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 July 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

The whole achievement system is about 50% done, to be fair. They just went "Oh, screw it, let's just give them what we've got. There will be so much whining if we miss another deadline."
  • You get titles you can't use
  • You get completely meaningless rewards, like 2000 C-bills
  • You get achievements you don't understand, because the game doesn't tell you what you actually accomplished
  • The most valuable achievements (thousands of GXP points) are extremely easy to exploit, like getting a teammate to hose you down with FF before a match ends, so you can win a match with less than 50, 30 or 20% health, or X number of components lost, etc.

To be fair, it's pretty hard to design a full-proof achievement system that you can't exploit with a buddy.

#13 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostJman5, on 26 July 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

To be fair, it's pretty hard to design a full-proof achievement system that you can't exploit with a buddy.

I imagine it's pretty hard if you want to reinvent the wheel, which is PGI's typical approach, instead of looking at how other games have done it.

Star Conflict did a very good job of implementing achievements, I think. It also had the nice feature of allowing players to accomplish the same achievement multiple times. So you could have received ten medals for '5 kills in a single battle' in your history of playing the game. Which is a nice way to give people a sense of accomplishment if they keep scoring many kills in every battle, getting top damage, capturing bases, etc.

And the most fun achievements are always 'do X at least Y amount of times in a single battle', because you can come up with some really fantastic challenges. It's more fun to try and destroy 10 or 20 components in a single match, rather than seeing if you can destroy 10,000 components some time between now and eternity.

#14 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

will there be a reset or will we just start with everything unlocked?
not many more achievements to unlock i'm afraid.

and once everyone has unlocked all chievements won' t it then not matter because everyone is again the same?

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

They are achievements, aka stickers you got in school for doing good so you can show your mother. I understand why they have them on console, not sure why they went over to us Pcist.

They should work like the ones in Battlefield, designed so you get them every round not just once. It would add an influx of cbills while rarely more than 5kcbills a match. Makes you feel/know that you did better in games that you thought were boring.

#16 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

I will take famous t*tties for $400, trebek

Edited by Monkey Lover, 26 July 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#17 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 26 July 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

I will take famous t*tties for $400, trebek

I have no idea how that was relevant, but it did provide some comic relief.

#18 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 July 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

I have no idea how that was relevant, but it did provide some comic relief.

Titles. The category is famous titles Mr. Connery.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

In SWTOR you can have your title hover over your name. Can't PGI add it to the info collected along with weapons and % of armor remaining?

#20 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I really want people to be able to see my "Bridesmaid" title. It's my favorite one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users