Balance General Metagame

22 replies to this topic

#1 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

Every now and then, I will cruise through the list of what all online members are up to, just to see what everyone is talking about, and these two threads caught my eye ...

THIS GAME DESIGNED FOR ELITES

VENTING: THE GAME IS TURNING IN A CASUAL GAME.

The interesting part, is that in both original posts, you could easily turn some of their arguments against their conclusion ...

After reading them, I couldn't help but laugh and come to the conclusion that we have finally achieved balance on the MWO forums.

#2 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

it mostly just shows that gamers are whiny entitled children who will complain about anything.

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

MWO's tag line could be...

'more than meets the eye'

meaning, playing can be way too anecdotal, so take posts with a healthy pinch of salt! ;)

#4 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

The beginning and the end are the same..

#5 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

"BALANCE HAS BEEN ACHIEVED ON MWO FORUMS"

In the same sense that balance was brought to The Force.

With us Founders as the Jedi children.

Quick, forum picture guy, photoshop a picture so that it looks like Paul is holding a red lightsaber!

Edited by Sephlock, 26 July 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#6 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

View PostSephlock, on 26 July 2014 - 12:45 AM, said:

"BALANCE HAS BEEN ACHIEVED ON MWO FORUMS"

In the same sense that balance was brought to The Force.

Well, Anakin did bring the number of Jedi down to about the number of Sith ...

#7 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 26 July 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

Every now and then, I will cruise through the list of what all online members are up to, just to see what everyone is talking about, and these two threads caught my eye ...

THIS GAME DESIGNED FOR ELITES

VENTING: THE GAME IS TURNING IN A CASUAL GAME.

The interesting part, is that in both original posts, you could easily turn some of their arguments against their conclusion ...

After reading them, I couldn't help but laugh and come to the conclusion that we have finally achieved balance on the MWO forums.

I am glad that you have laughed about it.

Edited by Sarlic, 26 July 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#8 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

View PostSarlic, on 26 July 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

I am glad that you have laughed about it.

it was, without a doubt, chuckle worthy.

#9 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 26 July 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

it mostly just shows that gamers are whiny entitled children who will complain about anything.

Still does not give you the right to insult me.

#10 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

@Sarlic ... I wasn't so much laughing at you or your thread as the irony of both of the threads being moderately active at the exactly the same time.

I think your particular case is more associated with the match maker changes than anything else ... when there are 8-9 heavies and assaults on a side, one assault is less likely to become a priority target and focused early than when there are only 3 (or slightly more) assaults. There may be other factors in play (increased DPS from clan 'mechs, for example), but I think that 4x3 is the real culprit that is changing they way you experience the game as an assault pilot.

#11 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

View PostSarlic, on 26 July 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

(snip)

Some of your points (in your thread) are valid ... the game needs more polish in several areas. I attribute most of the older flaws you highlight (and other long standing minor issues) to an overly aggressive schedule to launch before it was ready to come out of beta, followed by an overly aggressive timeline to sell and release the clan 'mechs.

However, I don't think that the change in your gameplay experience is due to the game "becoming more casual" (any more than I think that the guy whose other thread I linked is having a bad time because the game is "designed for elites").

I do find it interesting (and mildly amusing) that both perspectives exist ... and that's why I created this thread.

#12 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 26 July 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

@Sarlic ... I wasn't so much laughing at you or your thread as the irony of both of the threads being moderately active at the exactly the same time.

I think your particular case is more associated with the match maker changes than anything else ... when there are 8-9 heavies and assaults on a side, one assault is less likely to become a priority target and focused early than when there are only 3 (or slightly more) assaults. There may be other factors in play (increased DPS from clan 'mechs, for example), but I think that 4x3 is the real culprit that is changing they way you experience the game as an assault pilot.

I do have 8 Atlas battlemechs and a couple of others. I have been playing assault since i touched this game. The game has a history of patching errors and problems. Sure PGI is learning the hard way (for example see the public test servers which are only available on xx preserved times). Atleast they're progressing. But the progress is very slow and minimal. Same counts for pushing out content. Each thing they fix another thing geta broken or exposed again.

I really appreciate your reply and your opinion aside the people who are making a joke about it. I am trying to be honest. My english is not perfect but i try best as possible. Thanks.

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 26 July 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

Some of your points (in your thread) are valid ... the game needs more polish in several areas. I attribute most of the older flaws you highlight (and other long standing minor issues) to an overly aggressive schedule to launch before it was ready to come out of beta, followed by an overly aggressive timeline to sell and release the clan 'mechs.

However, I don't think that the change in your gameplay experience is due to the game "becoming more casual" (any more than I think that the guy whose other thread I linked is having a bad time because the game is "designed for elites").

I do find it interesting (and mildly amusing) that both perspectives exist ... and that's why I created this thread.

Ah i didnt get the catch jn the first place. Apologies.

#13 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

View PostSarlic, on 26 July 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

I'm sorry that you find opinions you don't agree with to be personally insulting to you.

#14 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 26 July 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

To be fair it's not just gamers. Since the invention of the internet the world seems to feel compelled to whine about everything.

#15 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

View PostWolfways, on 26 July 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

To be fair it's not just gamers. Since the invention of the internet the world seems to feel compelled to whine about everything.

this is true.

#16 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Nevermind. I dont want to get off-topic.

Edited by Sarlic, 26 July 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#17 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

People also complained before they had the internet, but then they had to write to newspapers such as the Daily Mail (which would normally be telling them what they should be complaining about).

#18 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostSarlic, on 26 July 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

I do have 8 Atlas battlemechs and a couple of others.

8 Atlai (did we ever agree on that? lol should it be atlas's or atlai?) ?

geez, what do you do with them all? lol. Admittedly I am thinking of getting a second DDC to run a diff loadout than my nasty brawler.

heh.. I love that scene where Jay & Silent Bob fly to the people's houses who mouthed off on the internet about them,and proceed to beat them up... X)

#19 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostBaronBastardKiller, on 26 July 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

8 Atlai (did we ever agree on that? lol should it be atlas's or atlai?) ?

Atlases.

#20 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostSarlic, on 26 July 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

Yes it does

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users